Comedy and offense

Chris B

Wouldn’t it just have been easier to leave it for no one to buy tickets, rather than drawing further attention to him and his shit, unfunny out of date brand of “humour” by actively cancelling it? I bet half the world had just assumed he was dead by now until this became a story. Feels like doing this has ultimately drawn further attention.

I love that his defence is that he’s been doing his act there for 30 years and nothing has changed so “WHY NOW?” Well Roy, the world has changed so write new material you lazy unfunny bastard. I’m sure there’s plenty of other venues.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Wouldn’t it just have been easier to leave it for no one to buy tickets, rather than drawing further attention to him and his shit, unfunny out of date brand of “humour” by actively cancelling it? I bet half the world had just assumed he was dead by now until this became a story. Feels like doing this has ultimately drawn further attention.

The amount of racist, misogynistic, homophobic dickheads in the North... it would have sold well. 

48 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And no, The Mash Report getting cancelled on a publicly funded tv channel isn’t the same free speech issue because I hated that brown foreign looking fella. 

Luckily for you it's back on Dave.

The one upside is that the petition that people have signed is going to be a handy to use as a list of wrong-uns at some point.

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

It’s because the gig was in a taxpayer funded venue as opposed to a private one. It’s a bit of a stretch by comparison but I’m sure those up in arms about the cancellation would have no issue with “An Evening With Anjem Choudhury” being hosted in the same venue that the taxpayer pays for. 

• Moderators

Nah, it's this one. 

"In the early 90s he was run off stage in Middlesbrough in the first few minutes of a show. At the height of a child abuse scandal in the town, he opened his show by saying "I'm surprised there are so many of you here - I thought you'd all be at home fucking the kids"."

• Paid Members

The joke Lister posted is Bernard Manning's I think? Wouldn't be surprised if Chubby Brown nicked it though.

As mentioned above, it's be far better to let these dinosaurs tour to dwindling audiences which are literally dying out. Chubby used to be one of the biggest draws in the country, especially in the North. About 3yrs ago his manager approached me for a date! Going from playing to thousands in large theates to approaching venues that hold a few hundred, that's the payoff.

Stuff like this just plays into the weaponised victimhood of the right. Let him play to half empty rooms rather than reinforce the myth that he's being silenced by the Liberal elite.