Moves that make you wince

garynysmon

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Even a few German Suplexes in a row look pretty nasty and quite unnecessary to me.

That's the sad thing when you step back and look at it a crisp bridging german suplex should be a great special finish, but it's just thrown out there and / or chained mid match. It's not a particularly nice looking bump to take, having never taken one it might be a dream but it always gets an "ohh" from me, but not nearly as big a one as it deserves. 

9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

That's the sad thing when you step back and look at it a crisp bridging german suplex should be a great special finish, but it's just thrown out there and / or chained mid match. It's not a particularly nice looking bump to take, having never taken one it might be a dream but it always gets an "ohh" from me, but not nearly as big a one as it deserves. 

For the short spell that I was training we had it drilled in to us how dangerous german suplexes can be. Take one badly and square on the back of your neck/ head.

Yeah it's been mentioned on the last page, but definitely the move with MJF at DON on the ring apron was the most recent one that really made me think "you don't need to be fucking doing that, especially as a move that doesn't even finish the match".

Undoubtedly this is a lot of the style going around these days, and it's almost quite sad that so many moves have been made redundant or ineffective and just used as transitional ones now.

It means things need to be bigger and better and more spectacular - and generally more dangerous - to get a crowd invested. The belief that something simple could finish a match has all but gone now. Sure, there's a few moves out there - look at Jericho lately - but on the whole it's a whole crazy mess of big dangerous kick out spots.

Still one of my favourite wrestlers to this day, Bret Hart was so good at just wearing an opponent down logically. I loved that approach. There was never anything overly flashy about him. Same with Hogan - look how successful he was, and he managed to do so little! It wasn't that he couldn't do more, it's just that he didn't need to.

I know we're in 2020 now and it's a whole different ball game but yeah, now you get a bazillion ladder matches that struggle to get traction with fans because it's the same old spots and people throwing themselves through however many tables and still getting up. I'm not saying I don't get invested sometimes, but when I look back at my favourite things in wrestling, it's often the more logical matches or character driven ones etc. Very few of my 'top' experiences would be OTT matches you get these days.

• Paid Members

I always get a little anxious when Daniel Bryan goes to do the diving headbutt. Probably because of the incidents that happened with people that used to do diving headbutts like that in the past. 

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That double stomp to the back of the head that fat idiot Super Dragon used to do was horrible to watch.

I fucking hate Super Dragon.

Agreed.

Actually, anything that involves the back of the head. I don’t get why you’d risk Adam Cole kneeing you in the back of the head or Johnny Gargano kicking you in the back of the head full pelt if they’re a micro-second off. You can’t see them coming, you can’t protect yourself and the consequences of that going wrong could be awful. Unnecessary, but again, just part of the matches these days.

Any spike move that basically can't be done unless the guy taking it can do a backflip, i.e. the Canadian Destroyer and, more recently, the reverse (Poison) rana.

The risk to reward ratio of those moves is minimal; the Destroyer 9 times out of 10 looks awkward when there's that brief pause between the deliverer taking off and the receiver actually backflipping. At least with the Destroyer there's the chance of cushioning on the deliverer's thighs as per the standard piledriver. Why Dustin insists on doing a Destroyer, I don't know; a standard piledriver from a 6'6" bloke would look more murderous but be way safer.

The reverse rana is rapidly becoming this generation's DDT already. I fucking hate it.

It's another symptom of the video game influence on today's wrestling. It's like opponents spend matching charging up their energy bars to deliver a finish, and a kickout isn't due to manoeuvring or skill but running out of HP. Everyone's finisher is a slam or a drop or a running strike. Does anyone today have a signature pin, like the Perfectplex? Orange Cassidy?

Edited by CavemanLynn

A bit different but I always cringe at a Samoan Drop! I can’t help but imagine the guy taking the move putting his arm out and it snapping backwards. I can’t believe that’s never happened. 

51 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That thing Brian Cage is doing in AEW as a finisher. Someone’s going to take that badly and end up fucked up for life.

I think if he dropped to his knees like a Tombstone it would potentially be safer. 

As it is he drops to his arse like Owen did when he injured Stone Cold.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Loki said:

Being a big old mark, I’ve never understood how you safely take anything double underhooked that lands you on your face.

When people take the Pedigree on their knees, fair enough.  But Roode’s finisher for example, how is that not just driving the man’s face into the canvas?

If you watch the Pedigree, the execution of it has been changed over the years - he used to keep the arms hooked and just drive the guy into the mat, whereas now he sort of releases the arms as he goes into the move, and just pushes down on the small of the back, so it allows the guy taking it to control their bump a little better. And that's what a lot of this stuff comes down to - things like the Vertebreaker are horrible because you're not allowing the person taking the move the time or the ability to control their own bump, and in that case in particular, you can't even really see if they're in position for it or not.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah it's been mentioned on the last page, but definitely the move with MJF at DON on the ring apron was the most recent one that really made me think "you don't need to be fucking doing that, especially as a move that doesn't even finish the match".

Yeah, absolutely no need. I can take or leave apron bumps at the best of times - we're past the point where they're unique enough to be worth the risk, and at the point where nobody really gives a fuck about them being more "dangerous". Most times I've seen one done live, the audience aren't gasping in shock or reviling in horror at how violent and dangerous it is, they're all laughing and yelling out "HARDEST PART OF THE RING!" because it's become a meme. Imagine picking up a career-threatening injury on a spot that just elicits a round of chuckles.

The MJF/Jungle Boy one was worse because there was so much risk of him hitting the actual edge of the ring, and at one point I was sure he had. Fuck right off with that.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

That thing Brian Cage is doing in AEW as a finisher. Someone’s going to take that badly and end up fucked up for life.

It's basically a Steiner Screwdriver, right? Because I went beyond wincing, leapt out of my seat, and probably let out some kind of involuntary noise at that one. Not a move I can watch comfortably at all.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

It's an old Scott Steiner move isn't it?

It's weird with some of these moves, because they look horrific and dangerous but they've been doing them for years and never hurt anyone so I'm in two minds. Like, yeah it's fucking nightmarish looking, but Cage has been using it weekly for years now without incident so what do I know?