Moves that make you wince

garynysmon

• Paid Members

No idea how much truth there is to this report, but I've never liked the look of buckle bombs as it seems to impact and whiplash the neck too much, in comparison to its actual worth.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/136834/wwe-bans-move-from-inring-action.html?p=1

I have never stepped in a wrestling ring in my life so will bow to the superior knowledge of those that have, but I'm not keen on the increase of high impact moves on the neck that has crept into mainstream north American wrestling over the past 20 years in general. Even a few German Suplexes in a row look pretty nasty and quite unnecessary to me.

I find the old punch kick style much safer and easier to watch that the current one, which is ironic as the lifestyle and industry itself is probably safer in every other conceivable way.

So yeah, are there are moves that make you wince and would rather were thrown into Room 101 altogether?

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator

As a collection, just about every move where you land on the back of your neck or your head. No need. But it seems to have become the dominant way of doing things even in WWE these days so who knows, maybe they all have a way of doing it all the time without risking injury/paralysis/death.

Anything that involves landing on the apron/edge of the ring. Having wrestled for years, they aren’t joking when they say that it’s got little to no padding. That power bomb that Owens does to the edge of the ring has so little room for error. At Double Or Nothing, MJF took something, a reverse Rana or DDT ( can’t remember ) and sold it like he was dead, but STILL got up and won the match. If you’re being slammed into something as hard as that , it should be a match ender. But that’s indicative of wrestling as a whole. Too many massive moves and spots that just lead into the next bigger and higher risk move.....

• Paid Members

Yeah, moves where the recipient is “trapped” (i.e. package piledriver) or modified neck breakers and backbreakers where the recipient is hoisted and then left to free-fall on their spine onto a knee just do nothing for me. The only thing stopping those moves living up to their name is a hope and a prayer.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members

Vertebreaker yes, although I don't know of any high profile botches of it (I'm certain there is some). Styles Clash is the main one for me, partly because of the well known injuries resulting from it.

Steiner doing the suplex into a sit down piledriver was always brutal. I found head drop suplexes circa 1990s Misawa/Kobashi et al were a bit much. Suplexes in Naito v Ibushi are no go's for me. Horrible looking. 

Funnily thee buckle bomb just looks shit. The actual power bomb done right looks much more brutal and has less effects. 

I concur with those having wrestled. I just banged myself on the apron once and had a massive bruise. There's a reason old timers say avoid it. It's career shortening. 

Edited by Michael_3165

16 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Vertebreaker yes, although I don't know of any high profile botches of it (I'm certain there is some). Styles Clash is the main one for me, partly because of the well known injuries resulting from it.

I think ass long as you tuck your head it's so worse than most suplexes. Its when it's high angle that it's a bit risky I'd say. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Michael_3165 said:

I think ass long as you tuck your head it's so worse than most suplexes. Its when it's high angle that it's a bit risky I'd say. 

It should be ok. The proof is in the pudding however and there have been several been injured from it. That is no slant on the man giving the move.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, ElCece said:

It should be ok. The proof is in the pudding however and there have been several been injured from it. That is no slant on the man giving the move.

I know there were some Style Clash botches, never saw any Vertebreaker ones though.

Turnbuckle Brainbusters and Elevated DDT’s make me wince

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Vertebreaker or however it was spelt, in line with what many here are saying about moves to the neck but this one always looked disgusting. Looking back I'm so glad Helms stopped using it in WWE.

The wife, (ex-wrestler) took one from Cheerleader Melissa many years ago, and has regretted it ever since. She had a mild concussion, and still feels some effects even now. I hate the move. 

Being a big old mark, I’ve never understood how you safely take anything double underhooked that lands you on your face.

When people take the Pedigree on their knees, fair enough.  But Roode’s finisher for example, how is that not just driving the man’s face into the canvas?