"Would it even be a fry up without beans?"

King Coconut

36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Even though they're exactly the same thing French toast sounds so much better than eggy bread.

Really could not disagree any more with what you've just said here, I think the complete and total opposite thing to your expressed opinion in this post. Eggy bread sounds massively better than the Americanised "French Toast" which sounds straight off an episode of Friends or Gilmore Girls.

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

On fried bread, I sometimes get two fresh slices of thick white bread and cut a hole in the middle with a glass. I then crack an egg into each hole and fry the fuck out of it. The two “bread tokens” byproduct are then fried on the side to make two little fried bread biscuits. Fucking lush (with thick, boiled beans).

That sounds amazing. I'll be trying it in the morning. 

• Paid Members

When I was in Dublin in February (before the 'rona), I had white pudding for the first time. Absolute scenes.

The Irish know how to do a cooked breakfast - sausages, white and black pudding, fried egg, beans, bacon, hash brown and toast with loads of butter for me guv.

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I bet Loki calls it French toast. That’s the company you keep. 

Oeuf sur le pain.

I only like brands when cooked Indian style (like the ones you get in Dishoom), normal bogstandatd beans I think are vile and need to stay the hell away from my fry ups.  Though I will admit there fry ups are a little dry without beans and there isn't a suitable substitute. 

Tinned tomatoes?!  That's just disgusting.

• Paid Members

I worked for Morrisons between the ages of like 18-25 and their staff canteen is what led to my physical downfall. Before that job i was a fairly fit teenager, but the canteen offered customer cafe level food for next to nothing. Five days a week I would have the damned thing, it was even a serve yourself counter so you felt no guilt in shovelling it on. I've been a tubby fucker ever since.

This is how it went:

2 pieces of cheese on toast as a base, douse that in beans. Then 3 pork sausage, 3 bacon, 2 hashbrowns and a piece of fried bread as a polisher, bung in a large coke on the side and it knocked you back ÂŁ1-ÂŁ1.50 tops depending on who was taking the money. Absolutely sensational.

18 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I can’t even begin to tell you how weirdly satisfying it is to remove the glass to reveal a perfect hole/bready circle. Enjoy 👍

Had it today. Don't think I fried the bread for long enough but it was still good. Will definitely be having it again. 

On 5/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, ElCece said:

So is Potato Scone in a fry up a thing we only so in Scotland? Noticed nobody else seems to have mentioned it 

I hadn’t realised that this was a Scotland only thing until this thread. A potato scone that has fried in the same pan as the bacon is divine.

As for baked beans, I can take them or leave them.

• Awards Moderator

All this talk made me cook one up this morning. Because I'm that cunt, I use a big paella pan so everything muddles along together. 20200510_095757_copy_907x1612.thumb.jpg.c63a57c7876266a33ced90c4ca49f879.jpg

And everyone likes different things so the plates are all different. 

20200510_100331_copy_1612x907.thumb.jpg.2bfc25bd85aef870a3e1d3af1b8c3ca8.jpg

e.g. I don't do beans, but I love black pudding ( @Scott Malbranque you'll be pleased to know it's Clonakilty). Tomatoes I can take or leave, but I do like fried mushrooms.