Florida deems professional wrestling ‘essential’

SuperstarNeilC

51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think you have to be pretty deep into the "every single fan but me has an irrational hatred of Vince McMahon" rabbit hole to see a reasonable complaint raised in exceptional circumstances as being an aggrieved fan, and not the Occam's Razor explanation of it being a genuine complaint for an employee of a company that's forcing its employees to work at a time when all sensible people would advise otherwise.

They’re not forcing them. The guys feel like they have to. There’s a difference unfortunately that probably doesn’t translate well to the real world outside of wrestling. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

They’re not forcing them. The guys feel like they have to. There’s a difference unfortunately that probably doesn’t translate well to the real world outside of wrestling. 

In the same way guys worked through injuries, scared of losing their spot. But the thing is, we are actually talking about the real world here. Wrestling, for all its bullshit, is part of it, and the way they treat 'contractors' as a corporate entity is a corporate issue more than it's a wrestling issue.

12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

You can't just slot someone else in to a spot previously occupied by an Aja Kong, Akira Hokuto or Manami Toyota

Not ideal comparisons, as none of those were forced into early retirement. Chigusa was, but had returned by '93. She did lose 4 or so years of her career though.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah but not much of one.

Exactly. There's forcing and there's "forcing". Just like how your boss can't force you to work overtime, but can stress very heavily that it would be a good idea to given that your probation period is up soon, or can point out that everyone else is doing it so it would reflect badly on your work ethic if you didn't, or whatever else. 

Roman Reigns or John Cena might be able to say "I'm not working these shows", safe in the knowledge that their spot, their money, and their job security is still there waiting for them to come back to. But does Ivar of the Viking Raiders, or Humberto Carillo, or Dana Brooke have that same confidence? Does someone like Austin Theory want to speak up when he knows the only reason he's getting Wrestlemania matches and TV time is because other people missing the shows has given him an opportunity? 

When is someone most likely to feel comfortable speaking up to HR and raising their concerns about whether they should be working or not? It probably isn't less than a week after dozens of their friends have been put out of work in the middle of a global pandemic.

And just to ad that while of the above is talking about a wrestlers, he's equally - if not more - likely that complaints are coming from production crew, camera crew, sound engineers, teamsters, anyone else on hand to make the TV show actually work.

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah but not much of one.

No but all of the guys were told officially they didn’t have to work if they didn’t want to. But we all know what that means. But outside the bubble that’s an employer/contract giver saying you don’t have to work and guys choosing to work anyway. It’s unlikely that the hypothetical loss of “spot” and “push” would fly, as much as we all know it’s real.

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Sasha Banks appears to have started rumours of her being released by tweeting “Thank You” and tagging WWE’s and Vince McMahon’s confirmed accounts. Could be nothing to it of course, but I can’t say I’d miss her.

She showed promise in NXT early on, but she was never as good as she or certain portions of the audience seemed to think she was. Coming out with a face like a smacked arse anytime she was losing didn’t help either, nor did that alleged stripe she threw at last years Wrestlemania 

She tweets that practically everyday 

It’s her way of getting heat on the internet.

• Paid Members

if it's not a retirement, I imagine it's a similar situation to what I assume has gone on with Mike Chioda - having been there that long, he's probably ended up on very good money. Brisco, as far as I know, is predominantly a talent scout with a bit of production work - it may be that they think that they can cut their losses by having someone else do that job for less, particularly at the moment when a lot of producers have been fired/furloughed as they're not running enough shows, and it's not like there's college wrestling and football going on that they can send Brisco to talent scout at.