Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

13 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I'm also happy to laugh at the covid dickhead. 

Yeah I dunno what has happened in the world where you are not allowed to celebrate the death of a moron and the subsequent cleansing of the gene pool. 

I guess I just wasn't born for these times. 

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Wow Guy, you're so edgy. I might go watch some Bill Hicks and wish it was still the 90s so I can be cool too.

You see, I find this ironic personality profiling more of a dickhead move than calling a dickhead a dickhead. Please explain why I'm wrong. 

Edited by King Coconut

• Paid Members

I do wish it was the 90s again. I'd have a full head of hair and a waistline that doesn't require one of those surveyors wheels to measure. 

I'm not happy that covid party idiot is dead. I'd be happy if the people who have spread the idea that covid isn't a big deal and you can ignore it died. 

In the US the pandemic is nothing to do with science, its political. When the POTUS is saying all this testing is making me look bad why is it a wonder that people don't take it seriously. 

As someone who hoped Johnson died from it, I’m not going to mourn the loss of a dickhead but LOTM is bang on with the point about the approach being of a political nature. We are starting to see it here, wearing a mask isn’t thinking of other people’s well-being, it’s giving up freedom. Not wearing a mask to own the libs is hopefully a path to a quicker death, I just wish Covid-19 didn’t discriminate. 

8 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

In the US the pandemic is nothing to do with science, its political. When the POTUS is saying all this testing is making me look bad why is it a wonder that people don't take it seriously. 

I was about to post pretty much the same thing, and you can pretty much look further back than that.

When politics in the US and UK has been fuelled by misinformation and bullshit for so long it really is hard to blame people for treating COVID in this way, particularly the vulnerable. 

You have a president, a party and aspects of the media who have openly spread conspiracy theories relating to COVID. If your news source is, say, Fox News or perhaps Facebook its little wonder if you think this is all just hype.

Get angry at the corrupt pieces of shit who have made reality optional, that’s fair enough. But feel sorry for the poor people they’ve scammed, or numbed to the point they don’t believe anything.  

Was just reading that Icelandic Air, due to Covid-19, have fired all of their cabin crew - all of them - as they refused a new collective bargaining agreement that had been approved by the union negotiators, on more reasonable terms.

Then they instructed their excess pilots to cover cabin duties in the interim. This is while they negotiate with former cabin crew from WOW Air that went bust several years ago, to come in on more favourable terms!

Such a ballsy move!

Edited by MPDTT

7 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Was just reading that Icelandic Air, due to Covid-19, have fired all of their cabin crew - all of them - as they refused a new collective bargaining agreement that had been approved by the union negotiators, on more reasonable terms.

Then they instructed their excess pilots to cover cabin duties in the interim. This is while they negotiate with former cabin crew from WOW Air that went bust several years ago, to come in on more favourable terms!

Such a cunty move!

Fixed that for you.

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Fixed that for you.

Its both ballsy and cuntish. I get that flag carriers have been under pressure for years to cut employee costs because they are competing with low cost carriers with vastly lower terms and conditions in what is an extremely price sensitive market - to that extent I have sympathy for the likes of BA - their operating costs are much higher than an Easyjet because of historic terms and conditions. Most of the flag carriers are in the same boat - a legacy issue from when they are nationalised. But I think this will backfire on Icelandic Air - Flag carriers also rely on goodwill and loyalty - when there is generally an alternative ticket with a cheaper airline available. BA run the same risk - people may choose not to fly with them if they are portrayed as the villians.

I think BA are making a mistake by going down the same path and threatening to terminate all cabin crew and re-hire on new terms - that threat at the outset just harmed union negotiations. Rather than giving them the edge in negotiations (the intention), its just created negative feeling and garnered critisism from politicians & the media. I don't want BA customer service to resemble that of Ryanair - thats why I fly exclusively on BA (21 flights in 2019!)

Edited by MPDTT

10 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Such a ballsy move!

Heard through a friend of mine who spoke directly to their pilots in passing conversation that some of the budget airlines in South East Asia have essentially not being paying staff. Foreign pilots get 10% of their salary while local pilots get nothing right now and the pilots are taking it as industrial action doesn't go very well on this side of the world. 

Edited by simonworden