Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Congratulations. You've just beaten the "I bought my cleaner a playstation" for worst humble brag of the year.

It wasn't meant that way, honestly. The novelty that comes with business travel wears off pretty quickly. Its just weeks and weeks separated from family and living out of a suitcase. I'm loyal to BA because of the service and because I collect all the Avios so I can put them towards holidays with my wife. It was not a brag. And with a child on the way, I really don't want to travel like I have in the past anymore.

6 hours ago, simonworden said:

Heard through a friend of mine who spoke directly to their pilots in passing conversation that some of the budget airlines in South East Asia have essentially not being paying staff. Foreign pilots get 10% of their salary while local pilots get nothing right now and the pilots are taking it as industrial action doesn't go very well on this side of the world. 

AirAsia is on the brink according to news reports. I'm sure numerous airlines will go under....unless propped up by governments. I think the US government has poured billions into the major US carriers to keep them solvent

• Paid Members

So they have just worked out that no one recovers from COVID in the uk. Every time someone gets tested positive and then dies for what ever reason they are counted as a COVID death. I wouldn't want to be the person that missed that.

The system gets a record of a death, cross checks it with a positive test and adds it. 

34 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

So they have just worked out that no one recovers from COVID in the uk. Every time someone gets tested positive and then dies for what ever reason they are counted as a COVID death. I wouldn't want to be the person that missed that.

The system gets a record of a death, cross checks it with a positive test and adds it. 

Surely the number of people who have recovered from the virus and then died weeks or a couple of months later from something unrelated is incredibly small,

I mean it could in theory even be zero given we are talking about a time span of only around 5 months or so but Its likely maybe a couple of older patients who recovered have since died of natural causes but again its must be such a small number that it shouldn't have skewed the figures very much at all

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You might want to re-read what you've said here.

Technically if whats been reported is happening the system wont let you. In theory you could have recovered  with little effort only to drop dead from a heart attack, your death would be recorded as covid.  

The timing is slightly off putting, just as there is a big "get back to the office" push. The you have the excess death rate which is way higher than the covid one.

There will have to be a full inquest 

• Paid Members

Death rates are up, clearly up based on previous years, and yet most are still saying it’s a coincidence and nothing to do with a pandemic. Surely numbers speak for themselves. You can argue the COVID rates as much as you like. But a spike like that is not because of nothing

37 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

oc_uk_deaths_2010202.thumb.jpg.9d45e823af364d6ff45b31a94d71aa04.jpg

This is the best graph I've seen to represent the excess death figures, saw it on reddit earlier. It's recorded deaths, so all the regular dips correlate to bank holidays when nothing gets recorded.

The thing that amazes me the most about this graph are the amount of deaths around Christmas and the first couple of weeks of the new year.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The thing that amazes me the most about this graph are the amount of deaths around Christmas and the first couple of weeks of the new year.

Older people and flu season. It's a pretty deadly combination. Although, now I'm wondering how much of it is exacerbated by so many people traveling at Christmas too.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Older people and flu season. It's a pretty deadly combination. Although, now I'm wondering how much of it is exacerbated by so many people traveling at Christmas too.

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's definitely steeper in the winter but if you look there's a big dip at the end of the year where none get recorded because of the public holidays and then those get accounted for in the new year when the record keeping catches up, so it looks worse than it is at the start of the year.

10 hours ago, MPDTT said:

I'm loyal to BA because of the service and because I collect all the Avios so I can put them towards holidays with my wife.

Or you could just pay for holidays with your wife using the money you save by flying with cheaper airlines?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tamura said:

Or you could just pay for holidays with your wife using the money you save by flying with cheaper airlines?

Yeah but if he started flying with cheaper airlines he wouldn't be able to boast about it on here.