Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Death rates are up, clearly up based on previous years, and yet most are still saying it’s a coincidence and nothing to do with a pandemic. Surely numbers speak for themselves. You can argue the COVID rates as much as you like. But a spike like that is not because of nothing

Precisely. I have no time for conspiracy theorists and denialism at the best of times, particularly around something like this - but if anyone is making the argument that Covid isn't real, or is being overblown, or that fewer people have died from it that we're being told, then they need to make a convincing case for why, in spite of all that, the death rate is higher than usual across the board.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Tamura said:

Or you could just pay for holidays with your wife using the money you save by flying with cheaper airlines?

Presumably his work is paying the fares but he collects the miles. That's why I used to use BA for work travel. One of the very few perks of having to travel for work; it sucks.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
On 7/19/2020 at 9:45 AM, MPDTT said:

The novelty that comes with business travel wears off pretty quickly

I think you're doing it wrong, I still miss the strings of weeknights getting pissed somewhere being written off as entertaining or relationship building followed by a morning of gentle PowerPoints everyone's seen before while they clear their heads before we start work proper after lunch. 

Also if you're flying for business my understanding was you shouldn't be claiming personal frequent flying miles for private use unless you declare them as a taxable benefit in kind on your HMRC return, which as a higher rate tax payer is likely less cost effective than just buying a cheaper flight with a better airline. 

Any way, I have a question, there's talk of vaccines passing trials and being ready for use this year, however everything I read says trails are set for completion in P7 2021, this is mainly from info detailed on documentation from the WHO. Is it a case we'd OK it and use it without WHO clearance, is there something I've missed or is it just spin and piffle? 

Edited by Tommy!

How is anyone with glasses able to wear a mask? I have tried glasses first, mask first and it just doesn't work for me. Any hints please. There is no food in the house and I'm hungry.

"JE SUIS GLASSES WEARER! JE SUIS GLASSES WEARER!" I screamed as I tried to go in Waitrose.

I'm going to have wear lenses until this is over aren't I? ffs.

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Are you talking about fogging? Get one with the metal bar in the nose that you can pinch.

No, I actually mean it going around the top of my ears, which obviously my glasses do as well. Just feels super awkward, and puts the glasses all skewy as well. It doesn't help that I have, what looks like a modified pair of tights so the ear loop is quite thick.

Ah well, I'll just wear lenses I guess.

Four eyed people. The real oppressed.

• Paid Members

Had the test this morning, my 2year old has a temperature (she is teething and had a temperature when previously teething) and while I don't think it's Covid-related her nursery, quite rightly, won't let her back without a negative test result. In addition, my wife is 37 weeks pregnant so a positive test result is a fairly big complication, if not in health terms certainly in labour logistics.

I was genuinely impressed with how quick and efficient it was. We were in a d out in 5 minutes. 

Hopefully a negative is on the cards tomorrow! 

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, mim731 said:

Had the test this morning, my 2year old has a temperature (she is teething and had a temperature when previously teething) and while I don't think it's Covid-related her nursery, quite rightly, won't let her back without a negative test result. In addition, my wife is 37 weeks pregnant so a positive test result is a fairly big complication, if not in health terms certainly in labour logistics.

I was genuinely impressed with how quick and efficient it was. We were in a d out in 5 minutes. 

Hope so mim - best wishes for it!

16 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Hope everything will be OK dude.