Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

People have lost any sense of good social etiquette. I nipped into my local Aldi the other day before lunch for a second bottle of whiskey and some scrote started shouting to get away from him.

• Paid Members

The death rate is usually after the infection rate. People don't die immediately - it takes time. So our death rate was also low when the spike happened. That's not likely to be the whole story, but probably a factor.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The death rate is usually after the infection rate. People don't die immediately - it takes time. So our death rate was also low when the spike happened. That's not likely to be the whole story, but probably a factor.

Possible I guess their spike started on 23rd of last month with 5k a day and has increased day on day. 

The stats from here show at our worst day there where 6000. 

So in theory the death toll will be catastrophic if they follow the same path 

Edit. Our worst day was 8k odd 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

In wrestling, you could still have people bumping, running the ropes, and various exercises, without ever having to lock up with another person. 

Nobody is opening up a wrestling school next week to go through bumps and running the ropes, come on now.

Making facemasks in shops mandatory two weeks after letting the masses unprotected into pubs seems like the epitome of trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. You've essentially given the UK public, a huge chunk of whom have demonstrated will take a mile after being given an inch, a taste of getting back to "normal" then snatched it away. I reckon there'll be all manner of grief post-24th, except it won't be healthcare staff having to bear the brunt but young shopfloor workers. The head of the Metropolitan Police has already spoken up that it's absurd and utterly unenforceable. Why are the Government so far behind the curve AGAIN? 

24 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Why are the Government so far behind the curve AGAIN? 

Because they always have been. There's no way back from it. Every step along the way they have been. 

I mean I suppose it's a better late than never type deal, but as you say there's a lot of illogical inconsistency across the board really. 

• Paid Members

Stop imagining that any decision made by Cummings and his government is in any way related to public health and it is easier to understand. All decisions are made on a PR and economic basis. I imagine the thinking is as follows: if the plebs die, the plebs die. At least we will have had their money. HEY LOOK EVERYONE THE PUBS ARE OPEN. Then in their minds a conga line forms around every Wetherspoons in Britain as joyous, maskless revellers chant "Boris is our leader, Boris is our leader, dah dah dah dah ooo, dah dah dah dah ooo" 

• Paid Members

Face asks in shops? Only 3 and a half months late. You can still freely share your germs in a pub, club or cafe though. 

30 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Except is has been done in many other countries and works just fine..?

His point is, without bobbies allocated to stores, it's up to shop owners to enforce the policy, which then would lead to police callouts to mediate between shop owners and anyone who refuses to comply and refuses to leave. I've no doubt it works in other countries, but cultural differences and fostered attitudes to the pandemic need to be factored in. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Except is has been done in many other countries and works just fine..?

It's been mandatory in Scotland since last Thursday I think. Still seen people not wearing them, but at least they made it a rule before the pubs opened again.