Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

What did the police say when you called?

"Every breath you take..."

But no, I didn't call them. I didn't think anyone would have to, as the police had been seen earlier in the week on patrol fining people.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Friends have just returned to the UK to live and there was no follow up on their "quarantine" or even a text or phonecall to ask them to pinky promise that they'd been quarantining. #worldbeating

meanwhile here in Jersey, I was told that I would receive my results by text if they were negative, and a phonecall if they were positive. I received a text within 24 hours, and two follow-up texts asking me to confirm that I was feeling well and hadn't developed symptoms - you just have to text one word back to them. 

Half an hour ago, the phone rings, and I can see it's a central government number, so I'm panicking - there's always the possibility that someone sat near me on the plane might have had it. Turns out that they haven't been receiving my replies to their texts, and had to phone to confirm.

Meanwhile in Guernsey, apparently anyone who's had to self-isolate/quarantine has had follow-up phone calls, house visits, and so on, and people have been heavily fined and even jailed for breaching quarantine. They seem to be on top of lockdown over there in a way nowhere else has managed. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

meanwhile here in Jersey, I was told that I would receive my results by text if they were negative, and a phonecall if they were positive. I received a text within 24 hours, and two follow-up texts asking me to confirm that I was feeling well and hadn't developed symptoms - you just have to text one word back to them. 

Half an hour ago, the phone rings, and I can see it's a central government number, so I'm panicking - there's always the possibility that someone sat near me on the plane might have had it. Turns out that they haven't been receiving my replies to their texts, and had to phone to confirm.

Meanwhile in Guernsey, apparently anyone who's had to self-isolate/quarantine has had follow-up phone calls, house visits, and so on, and people have been heavily fined and even jailed for breaching quarantine. They seem to be on top of lockdown over there in a way nowhere else has managed. 

Not to negate your point, as it's clear the UK government could and should have done better, but to be fair such things are easier to manage on a smaller scale, with a population the size of Jersey's or Guernsey's.

If anything, it's a convincing argument for major decentralisation in the UK, at least as far as operational responsibilities go. Although you would need a government that wasn't incompetent/venal/dishonest to make a policy framework to guide those decentralised bodies.

Managed to get the wording changed on visitors wearing masks in my library service. Not without a degree of friction.

I think I upset the apple cart a bit by asking if staff were consulted. The response was pretty much "I don’t need to consult anyone but my management team and it would be impossible to consult everyone" followed by "after receiving some feedback I've decided to change the wording."

If only there had been a way of getting that feedback before the original decision had been made...

It's an interesting time for realising what people really think. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Not to negate your point, as it's clear the UK government could and should have done better, but to be fair such things are easier to manage on a smaller scale, with a population the size of Jersey's or Guernsey's.

If anything, it's a convincing argument for major decentralisation in the UK, at least as far as operational responsibilities go. Although you would need a government that wasn't incompetent/venal/dishonest to make a policy framework to guide those decentralised bodies.

oh completely - the main reason Guernsey has done incredibly well out of this is that they're kind of the upper limit on how to function as a "small island", while Jersey is just a little bigger, and so the sense of community and the ability to make sweeping changes very quickly isn't quite there, and there's more pressure to be open to the world. 

But to have nothing at an airport the scale of Gatwick is still pretty shocking - it doesn't need to be a full track and trace system, doesn't need to be swab tests on arrival, could just be two blokes with clipboards at arrivals/baggage reclaim for each incoming flight. Flying in to Jersey, you need to fill out a form with your flight number and time, the address you intend to stay at, how long you're staying, and so on - even something as rudimentary as that not being in place comes as a bit of a shock, really. 

As far as any track and trace you could currently figure out from Gatwick - they know what flight I arrived on, and potentially that I then got on a train. Beyond that, they've got nowt. There are pubs in London with a better sense of my whereabouts than the airport or the government. 

The decentralisation point is interesting; particularly as we're now hearing more and more about the possibility of localised lockdowns, and I expect that to continue to be the trend for the next few months. 

Congratulations to Trump-ite and former presidential candidate Herman Cain on his death, as a result of Covid. I saw him interviewed a couple of times and he sounded as thick as two short planks. Naturally, he was against wearing masks & now he won't have to bother. Way to go Herman.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Covid related deaths comparison

UK deaths 
yesterday: 89
Day before: 119

Spain deaths 
Yesterday: 5
Day before: 2

but yes, let’s blame it on Europe...

It’s not about the deaths (Ours are lowering and Spain is increasing according to those stats), it about new cases. And when you look at new cases, Spain are dealing with theirs like people who know what they’re doing, unlike us. We are so fucking shit. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

It’s not about the deaths (Ours are lowering and Spain is increasing according to those stats), it about new cases. And when you look at new cases, Spain are dealing with theirs like people who know what they’re doing, unlike us. We are so fucking shit. 

True. We’ve reported 846, the highest since the 26th June. I wonder if the line will be because we’ve started testing more or some nonsense 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

True. We’ve reported 846, the highest since the 26th June. I wonder if the line will be because we’ve started testing more or some nonsense 

“Reported” is the key word there. It’s a fucking scandal the daily updates stopped because they knew they’d be up for scrutiny once journalists were allowed back in the room. 

• Paid Members

Announcing that people "aren't allowed to meet members of different households indoors" in Muslim areas right before Eid? There's definitely not some kind of agenda there, is there?