Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

19 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

By that rationale, should we ban PSAs advising motorists not to leave valuables visible in parked cars lest they're accused of victim blaming motorists?

Do what you want. Carry on the flaw as long as you like. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Given how we've plowed on with milestones regardless before, the figures must be quite sobering for Boris to pump the brakes.  To give them some credit, at least they've done so.

The only thing STOP CALLING HIM BORIS normally pumps is the secretary/nanny/cleaner/someone else's wife/intern*

*delete as applicable. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do what you want. Carry on the flaw as long as you like. 

Just because you say it's flawed doesn't make it true.

3 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

Just because you say it's flawed doesn't make it true.

My point was regarding Covid and how the well intended analogy didn’t quite work.  There is plenty of discussion to be had regarding personal responsibility and crime protection but this isn’t the thread for it. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

My point was regarding Covid and how the well intended analogy didn’t quite work.  There is plenty of discussion to be had regarding personal responsibility and crime protection but this isn’t the thread for it. 

But Zeb's analogy, while not perfect, was indeed valid. Because people are cunts, and nearly everything in life is rarely black and white. Broad, absolutionist positions almost always fail when practised. Ergo why most reasonable people don't victim blame when appropriate (e.g. sexual assault), but usually can't help thinking someone might have either known better or should be wiser after the event, either after making themselves an easy attraction to thieves (e.g. valuables on display in a parked car), or getting knocked over by a car at 40mph after failing to check for oncoming traffic before crossing a road (and the driver has no time to apply the brakes to prevent the hit).

2 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Now that that necessary debate's been hammered out, what were we talking about again?

Oh right, yes: Hamburgler - friend or foe?

Well, if he's in any way behind the mahoosive price reductions at McDonalds next month, I'd say friend.  20 nuggets for about two fiddy? Yes please!

Someone smarter than me may be able to answer this: Just took the kids for lunch at our local cafe and got the 50% off. I was chatting to the owner and asked what's stopping businesses running fake receipts through and claiming more than they have taken/served and he didn't know the answer (or maybe he does?). 

Surely the government wouldn't be that stupid (sure they would) and have safeguarded against this? How does the reimbursement work?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone smarter than me may be able to answer this: Just took the kids for lunch at our local cafe and got the 50% off. I was chatting to the owner and asked what's stopping businesses running fake receipts through and claiming more than they have taken/served and he didn't know the answer (or maybe he does?). 

Surely the government wouldn't be that stupid (sure they would) and have safeguarded against this? How does the reimbursement work?

a mate went to Nandos yesterday. you get a code when you go into a restaurant and they put that on the bill

New "I'm not sure you're taking this seriously" work discussion is regarding self isolating. 

Essentially if you self isolate and then get a negative test result it *can* count against you in a sickness review. It *might not* and HR are taking a "pragmatic" approach. But they haven't defined what that means. 

2 minutes ago, Vamp said:

New "I'm not sure you're taking this seriously" work discussion is regarding self isolating. 

Essentially if you self isolate and then get a negative test result it *can* count against you in a sickness review. It *might not* and HR are taking a "pragmatic" approach. But they haven't defined what that means. 

We had something similar at work too (public sector) & they ended up saying it would get recorded as sickness but wouldn’t count towards our sickness records in relation to warnings.

Cracking interview yesterday on Anderson Cooper's CNN show with an L.A emergency doctor. I think his name was Dr. Desmond Carter & unfortunately I can't find any footage. He managed to throw 2 "pissed off"s, a "bullshit" & even a "fucking" into the mix. All aimed at stupid politicians and equally stupid members of the public. Guy deserves a medal. It was a quality shoot.

-edit - His surname is Carson. Here's the interview, in-part. They've since bleeped the f-bomb out:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/08/04/coronavirus-dr-desmond-carson-not-wearing-masks-is-disrespectful-ac360-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

Edited by KingofSports