Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Cases are on the rise again. And the death rate stubbornly refuses to properly fall. We wandered into the first wave apparently assuming it couldn't happen here. I'm worried we're about to do the same thing with a second wave, but while refusing to shut anything down or even wear masks without whining.

35 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm worried we're about to do the same thing with a second wave, but while refusing to shut anything down or even wear masks without whining.

I must say the overwhelming majority are wearing masks. I've been on the tube a few times now and have been pleasantly surprised to see everyone with one on. Same in the shop. Its easy to think nobody is giving a shit, but I haven't experienced it that way on the times I've been out. Even in pubs people have been patient and kept to the rules.

Also on holidays, I had written off this year from the time this all hit. It is baffling that people then jetted off. I go on holiday to relax. The fact this is everywhere means I really couldn't. Fair enough if you live here and have gone back to see family, but the rest...come on. There is no excuse for it.

Edited by Factotum

32 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Cases are on the rise again. And the death rate stubbornly refuses to properly fall. We wandered into the first wave apparently assuming it couldn't happen here. I'm worried we're about to do the same thing with a second wave, but while refusing to shut anything down or even wear masks without whining.

All settings 7 day rolling average is holding steady in the mid 60s but the hospital one has consistently fallen (currently standing at a little over 14)

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I must say the overwhelming majority are wearing masks. I've been on the tube a few times now and have been pleasantly surprised to see everyone with one on. Same in the shop. Its easy to think nobody is giving a shit, but I haven't experienced it that way on the times I've been out. Even in pubs people have been patient and kept to the rules.

I've honestly seen differently in my part of London. Not been on any public transport as I'm lucky enough to be walking distance from everything I need, but based on buses I see passing, I'd say about a third aren't bothering with masks at all. In shops, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 aren't wearing masks. Cafes/restaurants vary - compared to what they were before coronavirus, they're quieter, but they're still busy. I've seen outdoor seating that's just rammed too. I went out for a drink last week to a place that's a decent size and was mostly doing distancing well, and even that had to deal with a group that ended up having around 18 people turn up to a 6-person table. 

So while I'd agree the majority are, I'm not sure it's as overwhelming as I'd like. It seems more relaxed than it was.

• Paid Members

I was in London over the weekend for the first time since March, and was pleasantly surprised by how the majority of people indoors were wearing masks; admittedly I didn't get about all that much, and avoided the tube, but on overground trains, and in the couple of shops I went to in Lewisham, I only saw a handful of people not wearing them, and they really stood out because of it. Still a fair few at the airport wearing them under their nose, or pulling them down to speak, but I tend to assume that any model that the experts have come up with has embedded within it the assumption that a percentage of the populace won't follow the rules. 

The new processes around flying - boarding by row number, getting off row by row, mask-wearing throughout, and then track and trace measures and testing on return - made the whole process a lot more stressful, and I can't imagine going through all of that, plus quarantine, plus whatever restrictions are in place at your target destination, plus all the actual risk of catching the virus, to go on holiday, and still being able to enjoy it. It's not worth it.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I am part of the Guardian reading North London Islington Elite, so this could be why.

Yeah, well, you posho lah-di-dah Islingtonians with your fancy schmancy masks don't live life on the edge like us rugged Haringians...

I live about ten, fifteen minutes down the road from Chris B, and I can confirm - it's really quite worrying and a bit depressing just how lackadaisical people round here are being. The local high street, there are actually old people walking around with no mask on and not keeping any distance at all. I do my best to make room for them in the shops when I go shopping for the house (my parents are in their 70s), but sometimes they'll just push right past, oblivious, and the local supermarkets, despite their best efforts to limit numbers coming in, simply aren't laid out to enable distancing without a bit of careful consideration.

Also, I live opposite Finsbury Park, and the number of times on a weekend I've seen massive gatherings of people, it's quite staggering. Barbeques, parties, one group even had the whole shabang up - sound system, marquee, etc. And this was just before lockdown ended - I don't know how they didn't get shut down.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I drove in to Birmingham city centre yesterday to pick something up and about 12 people were wearing masks, 

That's normal for Birmingham, they were probably getting ready to head down Alum Rock to hit a heroin dealer. 

1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

All settings 7 day rolling average is holding steady in the mid 60s but the hospital one has consistently fallen (currently standing at a little over 14)

Covid is AEW. Winning the key demographic. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Wasn't he the French bloke slinging it up Monica Bellucci in one of the Matrix films?

Nah, he was the guy from Bladerunner and the Guinness adverts

54 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The local high street, there are actually old people walking around with no mask on and not keeping any distance at all

Yeah, I do get annoyed by the lack of distancing. Fair play if you're outside the need for a mask is not crucial IF you keep your distance. But a lot of fuckers don't give two shits about either on the high streets

• Paid Members

just thinking back on what I said about flying earlier - all the testing was at the Jersey end. It hadn't really occurred to me until reading reactions to the quarantine restrictions on passengers from Spain that there was absolutely sod all at Gatwick beyond what was already there in March - signage and hand sanitisers stations. I walked straight from the plane, through the airport, on to the shuttle to the other terminal, on to a train, and then on to God knows where, with no checks or balances whatsoever. Even before border testing, when I first arrived back in Jersey from London in March, there were people at customs asking where you'd been and if you'd had symptoms.

At Gatwick now, and so presumably at every other UK airport, there's not even that absolute basic level of contact tracing or accountability. If I go to the pub, there's a QR code I can scan so that they know who was there and when, or else bar staff come round and take your details. But apparently an international airport can't reach those standards.