Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

It’s mad how many mad bastards are surprisingly normal intelligent people as well. Actual doctors believe in lizard people and shit. As long as she’s not a Tory to boot and doesn’t think a barbed wire fence on the Channel is the solution to asylum seekers you should probably make an exception. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone I used to see back in my single days got back in touch just before all this kicked off and asked if I wanted to go for a drink.

I said yes obviously, but recently it's come to light that she is a massive anti-vaxxer and has some questionable views about the seriousness of Covid 19 and the 'plan for the government to indoctrinate and control us' through mass vaccination.

Really surprising as she has always seemed a pretty smart and level headed person, but some of the shit she is posting and saying is appalling. 

Still going for the drink though, as to be honest, she is really fit.

I insist you go on the date in a UKFF approved vest with a little plaster on your shoulder visible and if she starts talking about vaccinations and microchips start acting really nervous 

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

In what probably isn't an encouraging sign, I've just the first gig I was set to attend in 2021 postponed to later in 2021.

I think that’s more likely the promoter moving the show now rather than being forced to do so close to the scheduled date if things don’t change.

Last thing they‘ll want to do is get close to the date, have to postpone and have people seeking refunds. I know T&Cs don’t tend to allow for refunds for postponed gigs, but that won’t stop people trying.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

21 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Last thing they‘ll want to do is get close to the date, have to postpone and have people seeking refunds. I know T&Cs don’t tend to allow for refunds for postponed gigs, but that won’t stop people trying.

People won't stop trying, because they are legally entitled to refunds unless  the tickets were bought from a secondary ticket seller (StubHub, Viagogo etc). If they were bought from the organiser or a primary ticket seller (See Tickets, Ticketmaster etc) they are legally entitled to a refund.

I work in secondary education and I've just had to do a "return to work" risk assessment ahead of the new term starting next week. Your score results in a risk rating, with six possible categories ranging from "extreme" to "low" which you'd expect to give a range of different outcomes for people who fall under each category (low risk people being back as normal, and those at extreme risk working from home, something like that). But no, the outcomes are exactly the same for everyone - no matter what category you fall into, "this individual can return to work provided the control measures are implemented" (these amount to "wear PPE and keep your mask on inside the building"). The current plan is for the building to open as normal, with all staff back next week and all students following two weeks later, so I'm going from four months of shielding and a few weeks of "yeah you can go out but limit the amount of people you mix with" to suddenly "get back to work with 4000 people in a building with windows that don't open". It's daunting as fuck.

11 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Are the schools really just letting all the pupils back in one go? Thats madness if so, my house backs onto a secondary school (that i went to) and it has years 7 - 11 and years 12 and 13 for sixth form, dread to think how many people will be there in one go 

What's the alternative though? 

All Kids need to go back to school it cant just be say years 10-11 for who knows how long.

My daughters school is staggering returns for the 1st week

Think its something like Reception on Monday 7th, Years 1 and 2 on the Tuesday, years 3 and 4 on the Wednesday which is my Daughters day (year 4), years 5 and 6 On Thursday.

But after that they'll all be in at the same time, with the only adjustment being slightly different start times for each year in 5 min differences from 8.45-9.15 to ease congestion at the gates not that I think it will make much difference in that regard as you know the later starting kids will still all arrive at the same time as usual, especially if they get the bus etc or have siblings in the lower years starting 20 mins before.

I get primary schools all going back because of younger kids supposedly being at lower risk (although I'd still be wary if I was a member of staff in a primary school), but it seems mental for older kids to all be going back at once. I'm in a 16+ further education place with 3800 students and a few hundred members of staff, which likely puts it somewhere around the higher end of things that might be considered "risky".

I'm fully expecting absolute carnage. If anyone shows covid symptoms, they have to be immediately sent home with a test kit. But everyone gets coughs and sniffles during the first few weeks of the school year (the old "freshers flu" thing where people get sick after mixing with a ton of new people all at once) so countless people will be getting sent home one after the other for the first few weeks. It'll be mayhem. 

1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I'm fully expecting absolute carnage. If anyone shows covid symptoms, they have to be immediately sent home with a test kit. But everyone gets coughs and sniffles during the first few weeks of the school year (the old "freshers flu" thing where people get sick after mixing with a ton of new people all at once) so countless people will be getting sent home one after the other for the first few weeks. It'll be mayhem. 

This is exactly what is happening in my kids Primary right now.

My son has a sniffle just now, so weve kept him off and ordered a kit. I know he hasnt got the virus, but cant send him in with people thinking he's ill. When you call up to report him being off, they ask about them being tested, perfectly understandable for the staff. This means weve also had to keep his brother and sister off too. From what I understand, theres a lot of others doing the same (Although I hear many have actually gone to a testing centre rather than ordered - In retrospect I should have done that).

Guidance/communication from the school hasnt been great, but whatever way its done the first few weeks will be like this.