Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Can they get rid of someone for not wanting to be in an office in these times when you have the equipment to do the job at home? Surely the onus is on them to have a support network in place for this (people on Skype to call or message if you get stuck as was the case during the two week self-isolation period).

I don't know the legal ins and outs of it but it just seems a bit off to me.

Again I'm no legal expert, but I don't believe they are making an unreasonable request in asking you to attend the office to obtain the necessary training to do your job, although they are obliged to make sure it's a safe workplace. I honestly believe their "take yesterday and today off as unpaid leave to think it over" comment means they will be letting you go if you don't go in. You wouldn't even be able to claim unfair dismissal at a tribunal, since you haven't been working there for two years, although you could being a wrongful dismissal case. However unlike unfair dismissal which deals in whether a dismissal is fair, wrongful dismissal only deals with whether your employer breached your contract which I doubt would be the case. The way things are in the world right now, I'd go in for training and keep your job. You only have to look atĀ 1000 people applying for a receptionist's job in ManchesterĀ (I bet over 900 were Scousers) to see the state of the employment market right now, and it's only going to get worse as more and more companies let people go.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-launched-to-help-get-brits-safely-back-to-work

Current guidance says to work from home if you can, but if that's not possible then your employer can ask you to return to work as long as safety measures are in place (risk assessments, changes to roles for those at higher risk of complications, strict distancing, wearing PPE, all that sort of stuff). "Not wanting to be there" isn't really a valid reason for not going to work, to be honest - if they've done all the safety stuff, then you'd effectively be refusing to work in a place that's deemed to be safe, so your employer would be within their rights to let you go.Ā 

From what you've said, itĀ sounds like theyĀ want you in for this initial training period (which is fair enough because they'll be wanting to keep an eye on newcomers to make sure everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing)Ā and working from home will beĀ possibleĀ after the training is out of the way.Ā Have you spoken to the HR department? They should be able to clarify that side of things, and you can also speak to them about whatĀ your employer has done to make the building safe for people to work in. Might give you a bit of reassurance.Ā 

You're unlikely to have any option but to go into the office or leave the job unfortunately. You barely have any rights in the first 2 years of employment unless you can show that your treatment is unfair because it disadvantages you as a result of you being part of a protected category (disability, ethnic minority, religion etc.)Ā 

The government is about to launch a campaign encouraging people to return to the office and threatening that they may be easier to sack if they work from home, so unfortunately things are not looking encouraging for workers wanting to work from home unless it's also something the employer is keen on.Ā 

Some employers are keen for staff to work from home now. My husband works doing SQLĀ development for a major energy company and they have actually announced that they are closing one of their biggest offices and want staff to work from home in the long term and just pop in to a different office in the same city once a week.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:10 PM, LazyMcLopez said:

You're unlikely to have any option but to go into the office or leave the job unfortunately. You barely have any rights in the first 2 years of employment unless you can show that your treatment is unfair because it disadvantages you as a result of you being part of a protected category (disability, ethnic minority, religion etc.)Ā 

The government is about to launch a campaign encouraging people to return to the office and threatening that they may be easier to sack if they work from home, so unfortunately things are not looking encouraging for workers wanting to work from home unless it's also something the employer is keen on.Ā 

Under 2 years, you are right. As I said in the 'work' thread, the Government will want people back in their places of work, so are unlikely to put more power in the hands of employees in this regard.Ā Further, I believe employers will easily be able to reject flexible working applications from people wanting to work permanently at home (if theyĀ so choose) - using the 'detrimental impact on quality' or 'detrimental impact on performance' justifications allowed under the ACAS code.Ā 

If you have under 2 years service and you feel you are being discriminated against due to a protected characteristic, then you could in theory quit and bring a tribunal claim if the flexible working request being rejected, just as someone with 2 years service can. However, anyone considering a tribunal claim for a flexible working request being rejected needs to consider if they can afford to ditch their job and wait for a case to get to tribunal - which will probably be early 2022 at the earliest given the backlog in cases brought about by the pandemic - that's a long time to go without an income. So, for the majority of employees who find themselves having flexible working requests to WFH rejected by their employers, I think they will just have to lump it.Ā Ā 

Edited by MPDTT

W.H.O now advocating herd immunity (again). I work on the premise, take whatever they say & do the direct fucking opposite. These are the same clowns that couldn't decide whether wearing a mask was a good idea or not, when it should have been obvious to a 6-year old. Woeful.

Edited by KingofSports

10 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

WHO or WH?Ā  Trump's new mate is very keen on herd Immunity.

Ahh. Good spot. It was just a strapline I saw on CNN. Probably WH, in which case I retract part of my previous statement. Just as an aside, it may not have occurred to many, but you can have a fucking good gurn under the mask. Try it. It's a lot of fun.

Just found this little piece from the Spectator: "It is not known how big the group of infected people must be for herd immunity to kick in, but it is some percentage of the population."

Speaks for itself I think. However, if you're still unsure, I know a man that can tell you. That man's name is Steiner, Scott Steiner.

and

Apparently, having taken a poll, it transpires that 40% of Americans wouldn't have the Covid vaccine, if one existed (CNN). Such a retarded bunch of cunts.

Ā 

Edited by KingofSports
Yanks

I know most of that 40% will be dyed-in-the-wool antivaxxers, but even I'd be at least a little sceptical of any vaccine greenlit by the Trump administration. There's every chance it'd be two parts bleach to one part Smirnoff, which I implore you to consider is not as appealing as it sounds.

3 hours ago, KingofSports said:

W.H.O now advocating herd immunity (again). I work on the premise, take whatever they say & do the direct fucking opposite. These are the same clowns that couldn't decide whether wearing a mask was a good idea or not, when it should have been obvious to a 6-year old. Woeful.

As has been pointed out to you, itā€™s the White House advocating this.

However, given the fact you go on to quote The Spectator Iā€™d suggest to you that youā€™re not getting your news from the most reliable of sources.

Given that this is a new virus, the World Health Organisation advice has remained remarkably consistent.Ā 

Itā€™s true to say theyā€™ve updated it (Iā€™m purposely avoiding the word ā€˜changedā€™ as I think this contributes to a general misunderstanding on how WHO works) but this is based on peer-reviewed scientific studies, not its members humming and hawing over what they should do.

And itā€™s important that they do base things on evidence rather than what seems ā€˜obvious to a six year oldā€™ as you put it. Ignoring evidenceĀ has led to a shit-tonne of problems and bad decisions throughout human history.

Ā 

Nicola Sturgeon has announced a locldown of visiting houses or hosting guests on the Glasgow andĀ surrounding areas.

Initially for a fortnight, however it will be reveiwed in seven days.

Glasgow city centre was fucking jumping on Friday with limited spaces in pubs seeingĀ  a lot of folk having to wait to go in; if being allowed at all.

In my opinion, being a Nationalist but being level headed enough to have an unbiased opinion, if there are lies being told it is to limit to potential threat we are faceing.

Ā 

Ā