Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Things are continuing to open up in the Czech Republic, which has one of the lowest infection rates in Europe. 

Selfish as it is to say, I'm glad I've been here as this thing has been going on. The response was swift and most of the rules and measures have made sense and helped flatten the curve. I think the mandatory wearing of face masks has played a big part, along with the quick shutting of the borders.

Managed to get out and about to the local town on Tuesday. The small mall there was open, as were restaurants and pubs for terrace service. Everyone was maintaining proper distance, wearing their masks and there were antibacterial dispensers set up. Nice to sit and have a meal out. As it was 11am and the place had just opened, we were the only ones there. 

Looks like soon they'll allow events of up to 100 people, then 300, 500 and, eventually 1,000 (all before June 22nd providing there's no spike in infection rates). I hope they're not being premature with that but time will tell. 

The reaction here to the UK response is the same as everywhere else. Nobody can quite believe how much they've managed to fuck it up. 

I realise basing things on small sample sizes isn't super (although a quick scan of the DM article online suggests their sample size is "1 headteacher + politicians") but I've a fair few friends who are teachers. They are all extremely unnerved by the idea they're going to be sent back too early and there's been specific mentions of the hope unions will be able to protect them. They're also people who have and are actively engaged with trying to figure how disadvantaged/vunerable students can cope without the school environment, they're not simply concerned for themselves. No-ones particularly fussed about getting it themselves but it's vunerable loved ones or just general societal spread, schools are  nexus of people - they're prime points to spread out the disease between many many communities.

Suggesting they're desperate to get back and get on with it is just DM pretending someone else is spouting their bullshit to stengthen this whole "fuck it, what's a few pensioners between friends" narrative

15 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

If people can now car share looking the other way and go on estate agent viewings the whole thing has been left to collapse under its own contradictions.  It's jarring that I can go and view a 3 bed semi or have someone in to scrub my shitter but I can't go for a cup of tea round my mum's.

And that's how you get people to collapse it without officially ending it.

(I'm not going to my mum's for a cup of tea :( )

Get your Mum to put her house up for sale, then arrange a viewing. Simple.

• Paid Members

So my employer is claiming social distancing doesn't have to be adhered to if it's in 15 minute bursts.

I've looked everywhere on line to prove or disprove this claim, but can't find anything.

Anyone know where this has come from and if it's being manipulated at all?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

So my employer is claiming social distancing doesn't have to be adhered to if it's in 15 minute bursts.

I've looked everywhere on line to prove or disprove this claim, but can't find anything.

Its come from your line managers hoop. Fucking nonsense. That isn't how spreading works. 

Ask them to show you that guidance. Hopefully your work has a union as I'm sure they would to see it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Teedy Kay said:

Hang on, your employer? The old bill? That's bloody worrying if they're giving out bollocks information.