Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators

The banning of menthol fags has been shit and clear as mud. Its only just become clear I can still get menthol filters for my baccy. 

Although him being a Disney social media man means little. They probably are chuffed he's a prick with the way they're doing their best to ruin cinema. 

I had assumed that a sudden lack of taste and smell was already included as a potential indicator of Covid. This was being reported regularly in the U.S, as far back as March. It was officially added to our list yesterday.

When asked why there'd been such a long delay, (parts of) the scientific community have tried to excuse it away by saying that they didn't want to disrupt the way Covid cases were identified/measured. Also arguing that there are a lot of conditions that can lead to lack of taste and smell. I'm old and that's probably happened once in my life, during a very heavy cold...not just fucking randomly on its own (so bullshit).

Chances are, the virus will have been spread by people having those symptoms, but not recognising them for what they were. A number of twenty somethings were reporting (if only amongst themselves), those very symptoms in Feb. So wretched statistics are more important than getting vital information to the public. What a bunch of shitarse death-dealers. Being a professor doesn't make you immune from being a fucking wretch.

Edited by KingofSports

• Paid Members

We had the cough, breathing issues and loss of smell/taste around Feb. We’d never known anything like it, but didn’t think it was Corona because was still hearing it wasn’t here and that it was like the Flu. Now, we’ve not had an antibody year, but it’s too weird to have had 3 of the symptoms all together like that is too weird. So how many thousands of others spread it not realising they had it.

The public enquiry will be interesting. Too late for all those deaths though. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

We had the cough, breathing issues and loss of smell/taste around Feb. We’d never known anything like it, but didn’t think it was Corona because was still hearing it wasn’t here and that it was like the Flu. Now, we’ve not had an antibody year, but it’s too weird to have had 3 of the symptoms all together like that is too weird. So how many thousands of others spread it not realising they had it.

The public enquiry will be interesting. Too late for all those deaths though. 

Something I've said. I've colleagues(well 2) who have tested positive and both said they wouldn't never have guessed it purely on symptoms. Purely anecdotal I think it has done the rounds more than we know. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Something I've said. I've colleagues(well 2) who have tested positive and both said they wouldn't never have guessed it purely on symptoms. Purely anecdotal I think it has done the rounds more than we know. 

With how communicable it is, and the death rate, we'd have been at exactly this stage far earlier. Just look at the rise in deaths.

Not suggesting something wasn't doing the rounds, but it's unlikely to have been this.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Chris B said:

With how communicable it is, and the death rate, we'd have been at exactly this stage far earlier. Just look at the rise in deaths.

Not suggesting something wasn't doing the rounds, but it's unlikely to have been this.

And to a point I understand what you are saying. Though the first confirmed cases in the UK were at the end of January and France said their first case was before Christmas. So it’s been around longer. What I believe is it’s mutated. But also we didn’t have big events like Cheltenham. We didn’t have people being discharged with it and going back to care homes. Until we get anti-body tests we are flying blind, and we’re still living life as if we’ve not had it regardless.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm not saying earlier. More I think it has being spread more than we generally believe.

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What I believe is it’s mutated. 

It hasn't to the extent you're suggesting.  And the data coming out of antibody screening in Spain suggest around 5% of the population has had it, with a morbidity rate of 0.9%

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-14/antibody-study-shows-just-5-of-spaniards-have-contracted-the-coronavirus.html

Everyone thinks they had it in Jan/Feb but realistically if they had, we'd have been hit a lot earlier and harder by the peak as Chris B said.  We all just had the usual cold/flu type bugs that manifest similar but mild symptoms, just like every year.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

It hasn't to the extent you're suggesting.  And the data coming out of antibody screening in Spain suggest around 5% of the population has had it, with a morbidity rate of 0.9%

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-14/antibody-study-shows-just-5-of-spaniards-have-contracted-the-coronavirus.html

Everyone thinks they had it in Jan/Feb but realistically if they had, we'd have been hit a lot earlier and harder by the peak as Chris B said.  We all just had the usual cold/flu type bugs that manifest similar but mild symptoms, just like every year.

But it was here then. That’s confirmed. And your saying all these people had a cold/flu bug with no symptoms of a cold/flu bug? Listen, as I said until it’s confirmed you had it, you ain’t had it. But in which case, what was it?

• Paid Members

About 10 days to 2 weeks after arriving in Spain I got sick. I've never felt a flu quite like it before. There weren't many of the talked-about Covid symptoms though - no dry cough. Instead it was the worst flu I've ever felt in my life. I totally lost my voice, I used up 3 straight kitchen rolls in wiping away my mucus and even lifting up my phone to use it felt like the most Herculean of tasks. I called home to my family and I could barely muster the strength to speak words. In short, it is the worst I have ever felt from an illness and for a straight week I had no physical strength to rise from my bed other than to visit the toilet. I don't know for sure if it was the Coronavirus but I'm convinced it was - I've had the flu plenty of times but never quite like that and it tying in exactly with me flying and travelling through Madrid, where I stayed overnight and walked all over the city - which became the epicentre of the virus in Spain - seems a tad too coincidental. In a way I hope it was indeed Coronavirus so perhaps I've now developed some anti-bodies. 

• Paid Members

I've only had what I assume to be flu once and I was bolloxed by it. The funny thing is I caught swine flu when that was doing the rounds, 2008/2009 I want to say, and from what I remember it was nowhere near as bad for me. There was coughing up stuff with specks of blood in now and then in but none of the fatigue, aches, fever and chills.

• Paid Members

I honestly can't remember but I'd assume so. I know I wasn't allowed to go to the doctor or pharmacist but someone must have, which I'll assume was tamiflu related, as I got a generic letter to drop into university when I returned.

• Members

Just had the call from our lad's school to confirm whether we'd be sending him back when they open on June 2nd. They're operating on split classes, half going Monday/Tuesday and half Thursday/Friday with a deep clean on Wednesday. Maximum of ten children per class, isolated desks, new books and stationery for each child, lunch served at his desk, lots of outside time with staggered breaks and playground split into zones to make distancing easier to monitor for staff... And yet I'm still hoping my council will decide to stay closed.

They've left it to us to decide. What they're doing sounds great and very reassuring, and I have every confidence in the staff because it's a really good school, but still not sure if it's worth risking at this stage.

Any other parents going through this right now?