Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

This will be the crucial bit that I hope @PunkStep's employers have factored in.  If you want people to WFH I think you should contribute to their internet/electricity bills, and also supply them with all the equipment they need.

We should know more next week but the question was asked a few weeks ago (hypothetically) and the board's response was positive- so I imagine they will. The amount they'll be saving on three floors of office space in the city will be mahoosive for a start. They're approving requests for anything at the moment in terms of equipment and home office furniture. 

Can't be easy working out utility bill contributions though, so not sure how they'll work that out.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

We should know more next week but the question was asked a few weeks ago (hypothetically) and the board's response was positive- so I imagine they will. The amount they'll be saving on three floors of office space in the city will be mahoosive for a start. They're approving requests for anything at the moment in terms of equipment and home office furniture. 

Can't be easy working out utility bill contributions though, so not sure how they'll work that out.

This is really interesting and not something I’d considered for the past seven weeks or so!

I wouldn’t have thought it’d be too difficult.  Likely on an allowance basis, so for my tax return for example, I don’t have to supply unit usage, I claim a set amount each month for utilities usage based on the hours I do - there’s official guidance I’m too lazy to find and link to - It’s a goodwill system for sure, but surely still way more economical for them given what you’ve said.

Edited by John Matrix

The logical counterargument to bill contributions for WFHers I think will be that the increase in utility bills would be offset by the reduction in travel costs. I walked to work so I was unaffected in that sense, but my wife would pay £100-150 a month on either trains or petrol depending on the work car park situation. So technically that's been money in her pocket for the past two months.

Tricky one isn't it, as obviously every one pays different amounts to travel to work, and everyone pays different amounts for utility bills.

I'm sure HR departments up and down the country are drafting WFH policies that benefit their employees first and foremost. That's what they're there for after all.

• Paid Members

I think people's additional cost of electricity and WiFi will be broadly similar, whereas travel costs can vary wildly from one to another. For example, one of my team pays £3.5k a year for an annual train ticket, whereas one of my team walks 10 mins to the office.

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Tricky one isn't it, as obviously every one pays different amounts to travel to work, and everyone pays different amounts for utility bills.

I'm sure HR departments up and down the country are drafting WFH policies that benefit their employees first and foremost. That's what they're there for after all.

If its me, I'd refuse to contribute to bills. WFH policies should provide IT, perhaps chairs and desks following a workstation risk assessment, but what people pay on bills they save on travel. 

1 minute ago, MPDTT said:

If its me, I'd refuse to contribute to bills. WFH policies should provide IT, perhaps chairs and desks following a workstation risk assessment, but what people pay on bills they save on travel. 

HR: "We always put the employee first"

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Did you not read the previous posts, or are you just being a twat for the sake of it?

• Paid Members

I’m pretty sure you can claim some sort of wfh allowance through a tax return, but obviously that’s a pain if you just have one income which is PAYE. I don’t think there’s any obligation for employers to pay anything towards it. Travel costs are completely irrelevant.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Since travel isn't factored into most people's reward packages anyway (to use some HR-speak), it shouldn't have any bearing on a change in workplace. 

• Paid Members

I don't really get what a Spoons protest is supposed to achieve. If it's ostensibly to protest Tim Martin for kicking his workers out of their jobs at a time of pandemic and if it were successful and really hurt his profit margins, wouldn't that simply result in pub closures and many of those same staff people were supposed to be protesting in support of then losing their jobs at a time of pandemic? Seems a bit counter-productive to me. 

Must admit I do love Wetherspoons. Real ale for £1.99 and a great selection of lagers for bargain prices. Food's fine too if you're looking for something quick to scran before a gig. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

2 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I don't really get what a Spoons protest is supposed to achieve. If its ostensibly to protest Tim Martin for kicking his workers out of their jobs at a time of pandemic and if it were successful and really hurt his profit margins, wouldn't that simply result in pub closures and many of those same staff people were supposed to be protesting in support of then losing their jobs at a time of pandemic? Seems a bit counter-productive to me. 

Different staff would lose their jobs if Wetherspoons closed down because the original staff all got sacked at the first given opportunity.