Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Given the potentially long term public health implications and the importance of public transport to run high volume low capacity loss making services for a good while to maintain the economy it would surely make sense to nationalise it again. 

They've done the usual chicken shit cop out already and Gov has taken on all financial liabilities for train operators

When the going is good, shareholders take the money

When times are rough, the taxpayer foots the bill

• Moderators

To be fair, the government are bailing out other businesses as well. 

Here's something I was wondering.. For years now the tube has been getting hotter and hotter due to the retained heat of constant usage exceeding the natural cooling of all the clay and rock surrounding the tunnels.

Do we know if that is still a net warming, or is it cooling at the moment?

42 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The family that visited them have probably been in total isolation as well and they've thought 'well you want us to all go back to work but we can't see each other when the risk factor is much more negligible considering our recent patterns of behavior? Fuck you then.' I understand and sympathise with that thinking completely, tbh.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people as this point have very little faith in the official government guidance being good or in their best interests.

Does everyone here always follow every aspect of the law to the letter, or do you just take it in to consideration in your decision making?

I wouldn't have my mates over but I'm also certainly going to exercise my own judgement and am not following the guidance to the letter.

I understand that, and sympathise with people isolated, but the simple fact of the matter is, is that it's not allowed. 

I'm not happy about the government guidance and don't think it's clear either but it's a clear breach.

Millions of people are waiting to be given the green light to go and see their family, and are patiently following the guidelines so what gives someone the right to just think "fuck this" and flout the rules?

Go to the park and see them. Don't have them over for the night.

Like I said, I'm not going to report them but it is infuriating to me.

I get the feeling that with a lot of the unscrupulous employers there is a bit of the Vince and the roids (Good name for a band, that) about it. 
Sure, you don’t have to come in but I hope you don’t lose your spot or your job over it. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I understand that, and sympathise with people isolated, but the simple fact of the matter is, is that it's not allowed. 

I'm not happy about the government guidance and don't think it's clear either but it's a clear breach.

Whilst you are right in a sense, a lot of people will view it as a case of "well the government say I can't do this, so why is this so bad?"

I've been of of those that have had to work as normal, been in contact with the general public to "keep the economy going" and for parts it's been non essential. So for me, I'm not gonna overly worry about having my daughter come round when she's been stuck at her mum's for the best part of two months. 

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

To be fair, the government are bailing out other businesses as well. 

Here's something I was wondering.. For years now the tube has been getting hotter and hotter due to the retained heat of constant usage exceeding the natural cooling of all the clay and rock surrounding the tunnels.

Do we know if that is still a net warming, or is it cooling at the moment?

Someones been on Reddit, I see. 

• Paid Members

So 30 million vaccines by September if it’s going to work. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-for-30-million-by-september-if-trial-succeeds-says-sharma-11990039

Thats half the population. Could this actually happen? 

Edited by quote the raven

7 hours ago, MPDTT said:

I've recently followed what Google have done and extended our work-from-home policy for the remainder of 2020. The exception will be roles that can't be performed at home - and those roles are furloughed for the extent that the scheme runs anyway - facilities, cleaners and receptionists mainly. I'd be shocked if we saw a large amount of office workers being told to return - I expect the government will want this group to be the very last to do so. We may well reopen our offices in the coming months, but with zero pressure to attend and certainly an outright ban on face to face client meetings. 

Touching on this part of the subject, would companies be able to get away with paying very little rent/any rent if lockdown was until the end of the year? 

I know there's a few big companies (retail) going down this road in line with the whole landlords going easy thing. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-for-30-million-by-september-if-trial-succeeds-says-sharma-11990039

That half the population. Could this actually happen? 

Considering they managed 100000 tests a day for only 2 days I'm going to err on the side of no. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

Thats half the population. Could this actually happen? 

Probably not.