Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Given the potentially long term public health implications and the importance of public transport to run high volume low capacity loss making services for a good while to maintain the economy it would surely make sense to nationalise it again. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I'm sure the tubes will be 100% jammed with office workers who have unilaterally decided to come into work despite being able to work from home and not office workers who have been pressured into coming into work because the string vest of the government's "where possible" manual makes almost any journey justifiable if you try hard enough.

A lot of that will depend on the employer. All our offices are still closed, but a survey has come out to ask who would want to come back to the office and who would be happy to continue working from home for the foreseeable. And I think it’s smart because there are a small number of people I’ve spoken to who hate working from home and rather go back to the office.  

My neighbours (a man, a woman, a child of about 2) had family over yesterday (a man, a woman, a child of about 2) and they stayed all night!!! In and out of the building all fucking night and morning as well. Have I missed an announcement or something?

I'm fucking fuming, but I don't like snitching to po-po or the landlords (as motherfuck both of them) and I don't want to knock on their door as they have a child.

I'm seriously considering the most British response of all, which is obviously a passive aggressive note left in the communal area, on one of the doors. 

Cunts clap every Thursday as well. 

20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

*by their HR departments acting on behalf of the company 

I've recently followed what Google have done and extended our work-from-home policy for the remainder of 2020. The exception will be roles that can't be performed at home - and those roles are furloughed for the extent that the scheme runs anyway - facilities, cleaners and receptionists mainly. I'd be shocked if we saw a large amount of office workers being told to return - I expect the government will want this group to be the very last to do so. We may well reopen our offices in the coming months, but with zero pressure to attend and certainly an outright ban on face to face client meetings. 

This pandemic will forever change the way we work (well, for those that still have jobs at the end of this). We already had a good flexible working culture and promoted managing people based on output, not not working time (or location), but I do think that all those employers with deeply rooted 'presenteeism' cultures will be totally changed by this.

Construction workers, retail workers, teachers and the vast array of professions need to return to their work places in order to do their jobs effectively, but for the most part, we don't. Therefore extending homeworking for the rest of the year seemed the responsible thing to do. I would hope the vast majority of office based employers would do the same to take the pressure of public transport services and help them try to implement some form of social distancing. I really don't intend to venture back into London until after Christmas. 

Edited by MPDTT

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

My neighbours (a man, a woman, a child of about 2) had family over yesterday (a man, a woman, a child of about 2) and they stayed all night!!! In and out of the building all fucking night and morning as well. Have I missed an announcement or something?

I'm fucking fuming, but I don't like snitching to po-po or the landlords (as motherfuck both of them) and I don't want to knock on their door as they have a child.

I'm seriously considering the most British response of all, which is obviously a passive aggressive note left in the communal area, on one of the doors. 

I'd report them. Fuck 'em, it's their own fault for not following the rules and they're going to be the ones that ruin it all for the rest of us. It's probably too late now as I presume they're gone but still definitely do it next time. A fine is the only way that kind of person will even slightly consider changing the way they're acting.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

A lot of that will depend on the employer. All our offices are still closed, but a survey has come out to ask who would want to come back to the office and who would be happy to continue working from home for the foreseeable. And I think it’s smart because there are a small number of people I’ve spoken to who hate working from home and rather go back to the office.  

They've started talk about it in our office 1 or 2 days a week and we've been asked a few times what we think about it because apparently they are concerned for people's mental wellbeing.

I said my mental health has never been better not being stuck in an office. Someone else, who doesn't like working from home, pointed out that sitting on their own in an open plan office with the nearest person 2 or 3 banks away to keep the 2m distance would be both less efficient and more depressing then just putting up with home office for a bit longer. 

Our department head is good and knows what he's doing but some of the others hate not being in total control of everything and really want people back in the office again ASAP, so I've heard on the grape vine. 

The plus side will be them turning off the air con and opening the windows, something I've been saying is better for ages. 

22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'd report them. Fuck 'em, it's their own fault for not following the rules and they're going to be the ones that ruin it all for the rest of us. It's probably too late now as I presume they're gone but still definitely do it next time. A fine is the only way that kind of person will even slightly consider changing the way they're acting.

You haven't seen the note I've drafted. It's FURIOUS. 

24 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

@SuperBacon why don't you blast some NWA or Ice T at full volume to get your feelings about the police across whilst also pissing your inconsiderate neighbours off? 

Or what Lee says :D

1 minute ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

@SuperBacon why don't you blast some NWA or Ice T at full volume to get your feelings about the police across whilst also pissing your inconsiderate neighbours off? 

Or what Lee says :D

Because seething in quiet desperation, furious but not furious enough to do anything about it as we are a repressed nation, is the correct response.

I've actually just been for a fag, and every so often looked up at their window and shook my head. That's probably all I'll do to be honest.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Given the potentially long term public health implications and the importance of public transport to run high volume low capacity loss making services for a good while to maintain the economy it would surely make sense to nationalise it again. 

The trains have been semi-nationalised in England since the week before full lockdown. The current franchises were ended and instead the government is now collecting all the ticket money and paying all the costs including staff wages. The franchise holders are getting a small fixed fee to manage the lines. The idea was to keep the trains running as needed, but remove the incentive for operators to try to maximize the number of passengers, and avoid the legal hassle of dealing with the franchise holders going bust.

In theory this is only running for six months, but there's a good shot they don't go back to the old franchising system at the end.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Someone else, who doesn't like working from home, pointed out that sitting on their own in an open plan office with the nearest person 2 or 3 banks away to keep the 2m distance would be both less efficient and more depressing then just putting up with home office for a bit longer. 

I would love that, personally. 

I'm fine working from home, but it's the lack of separation that's getting to me a little bit. Logging off from the work laptop to sit 2 metres away from it when I know there's work to do isn't the most relaxing. I try and go for a walk after shifts to have a bit of a barrier and wind down, but it doesn't always work.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

The family that visited them have probably been in total isolation as well and they've thought 'well you want us to all go back to work but we can't see each other when the risk factor is much more negligible considering our recent patterns of behavior? Fuck you then.' I understand and sympathise with that thinking completely, tbh.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people as this point have very little faith in the official government guidance being good or in their best interests.

Does everyone here always follow every aspect of the law to the letter, or do you just take it in to consideration in your decision making?

I wouldn't have my mates over but I'm also certainly going to exercise my own judgement and am not following the guidance to the letter.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

The waters really have been muddied with the lack of clarity and the strange restrictions. 

A personal example would be that my wife, daughter and myself have all been isolating since March. I do the food shop and that is it. Her parents have also fully isolated, both retired and in their 50's, extremely fit and no health conditions. So why is it visiting them less safe than going back to work etc? Isolating over 2 households you could argue. 

On the flip side, my grandad is shielded and my sister and mum who have been isolating together so my mum can help with childcare have decided it's ok to go to my grandparents and sit in the garage 2m apart. This has now led to my sister saying she will isolate for 7 days and then go and stop with them for a few days so they can see her and her son. I explained that her, my mum and step dad would all need to lockdown for 14 days to make sure that was safe (I still don't agree with the choice). She kicked off saying they can only isolate for 7 days but that my mum will still go to work and shops. She said if I could see how bad my grandparents looked because of this I would do the same. I have yet to reply that they will look much worse dead. 

Fucking idiots.