Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

12 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I don't really get what a Spoons protest is supposed to achieve. If it's ostensibly to protest Tim Martin for kicking his workers out of their jobs at a time of pandemic and if it were successful and really hurt his profit margins, wouldn't that simply result in pub closures and many of those same staff people were supposed to be protesting in support of then losing their jobs at a time of pandemic? Seems a bit counter-productive to me. 

Must admit I do love Wetherspoons. Real ale for £1.99 and a great selection of lagers for bargain prices. Food's fine too if you're looking for something quick to scran before a gig. 

No one got kicked out of their job and if anything Tim Martin's video, as daft as it was, backed the company into a corner, wherein they had to negotiate with Hospitality UK and the government to implement their furlough payments ahead of schedule.

No one at Spoons lost their jobs. I've not missed a pay cheque and neither has anyone I work with.

I'm not a fan of Tim Martin's, and I'm not naive enough to believe that there wasn't an agenda to him encouraging people to breach their furloughs by going to the supermarkets, but the worst case scenario for Spoons staff was weekly paid staff having to wait a month for their first furlough payment. Shit? Yes Garth, but it didn't matter in the end because he backed himself and by extension the rest of the industry into a corner.

Hate on Tim Martin all you want, but I'm fucking sick of people telling me that Spoons staff got fired, when nothing of the sort happened. If anything with not having to travel to and from work and my daughter's extra curriculars off the table, I'm better off than I have been in years, as perverse as that is.

It's fuckers going off half cocked that are gonna take food off my table, not that Mulleted bellend.

• Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I don't really get what a Spoons protest is supposed to achieve. If it's ostensibly to protest Tim Martin for kicking his workers out of their jobs at a time of pandemic and if it were successful and really hurt his profit margins, wouldn't that simply result in pub closures and many of those same staff people were supposed to be protesting in support of then losing their jobs at a time of pandemic? Seems a bit counter-productive to me. 

I'm not going to stop going to pubs. Just his pubs. 

If loads of people start working from home surely trains and fuel prices will be affected? 

Starbucks must be shitting it for one thing.

7 minutes ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

Starbucks must be shitting it for one thing.

If WFY becomes the norm then it's likely more people would be meeting up in Starbucks throughout the day. There'll be more need than ever for social interaction, and a lot of smaller firms who might do away with premises altogether may use locations like Starbucks for meetups. 

A lot of freelancers spend time in coffee shops, probably more than the average worker. It will be similar for those who start WFY. 

Especially if everyone boycotts Wetherspoon's. 

Edited by Undefeated Steak
Reese

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Can't be easy working out utility bill contributions though, so not sure how they'll work that out.

I don't know if this helps...might be worth checking out.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/?_ga=2.107437378.1794423423.1590180107-1543496609.1559934676

45 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

So not only did Dominic Cummings break lockdown rules, but he did it whilst having the symptoms of COVID to travel hundreds of miles to see his elderly parents

What a cunt.

You'd hope one good thing to come from all of this is that people will finally realise that the tories really are the shower of cunts people have been saying they are. It's clear they think it's one rule for them and another for the plebs. That anyone could actually think they give a fuck about the average man on the street is laughable. But I'm not holding out hope. It genuinely depresses me.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

A lot of freelancers spend time in coffee shops, probably more than the average worker

I always had to meet recruitment consultants in coffee shops or cafés.

Off topic but a little hungover one morning in Nottingham I stumbled into a poncy posh coffee place and ended up with something to pick me up before the beer festival opened again. It was shortly after I sat down I released the bloke next to me was being interviewed. It sounded like a process and streamlineing consultant type role as he was going on about making people see things a better way, his way, and what a great inspirational person he is and he was coming across a bit of a dick (but then it's a job interview in a coffee shop). After he said something stupid and still hazy I let out a "for fucks sake" which was slightly too loud to just be a comment to myself. They both powered through it though, and didn't comment on the awful fart some student dropped on his way out either.

She clearly wasn't interested but he kept plugging away after they wrapped up, he certainly was tenacious.

Edited by Tommy!

14 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

If WFY becomes the norm

Working From Yeovil?

14 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

It will be similar for those who start WFY.  

I've got it. Working From Yarmouth!!!

1 minute ago, Tommy! said:

I always had to meet recruitment consultants in coffee shops or cafés.

That's so we could claim the coffee back to be honest. I used to go all out and buy my candidates full breakfasts.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Well there's a fucking shock. 

I must say, I had no idea you could claim tax relief on bills you have to pay because you have to work at home on a regular basis. So I've learned something. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's so we could claim the coffee back to be honest. I used to go all out and buy my candidates full breakfasts.

They never bought me anything, it just always seemed a good place to meet out of hours from what I could tell.

Not like when I was working with the government, got meals and drinks evey quarter we visited all gratis. But then the company I was with saved them hundreds of thousands of pounds so I didn't consider a madras and a handful of pints while they asked some questions too extravagant 

Edited by Tommy!