Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

7 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

My work called on Monday to ask if I would agree to be placed onto Furlough pay. Glad to be honest.

I wish mine would. I've no motivation at all, and I'm sick now - I don't think it's COVID, but it's going to make it even harder to force any productivity.

• Paid Members

We’re being furloughed at work now but waiting to hear if it’s contracted hours or an average based on the last 12 months. Hopefully the latter or we’ll be on our arse.

So we'll be collecting the test samples from post boxes pretty soon. Apparently the protocol is that only certain boxes are to be used and when we collect them we're to pick them up "like a dog poo". This is all fine and well and I am sure the great british public will only use designated post boxes and nobody with the virus will cough all over their hands between sealing the sample and posting it in to a publicly used post box (the designated post boxes are still for general use)full of all sorts of mail going everywhere.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

We’re being furloughed at work now but waiting to hear if it’s contracted hours or an average based on the last 12 months. Hopefully the latter or we’ll be on our arse.

It's whichever's the higher figure of:

your contracted monthly salary/wages as of February 28th, or

your actual average monthly earnings over the past 12 months (or during the period since you started the job if that's under 12 months).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

The basic idea is that you don't get penalised if you have variable earnings (eg zero hours or variable shifts) and February was a light month.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, quote the raven said:

My work are attempting to starve the staff with underlying health issues out. Refusing to furlough refusing to pay. Two of them have partners on 12 week shielding notice. 

As far as I know they are all still refusing to go back 

Have you contacted your MP? It seems like the kind of thing that they should be involved in. It's illegal to force an employee to do something that they feel is unsafe, which is clearly what they are trying to do in your case.

I really don't understand how companies can be so short sighted about this. It's not like we're going to be in lockdown forever, and employees are going to remember how they were treated. It's going to be very hard to retain staff when you've made it clear how little their lives are worth.