The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Jay and Silent Bob unveiling the Tag Belts. Neither of them look well tbh.

F582971B-B9B5-4A7F-9219-32C64D8BCA7A.jpeg

Christ, Kevin Smith looks near death.  And is that Mr Bean at the end?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Christ, Kevin Smith looks near death.  And is that Mr Bean at the end?

It’s that usual thing where you get to about 300lbs of fat, have a heart attack, go on a diet and lose a load of weight. He’s got saggy skin but is to nervous to go under the knife. He talked about it on a podcast recently 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

Well. That was underwhelming. 

It was missing any sort of character development. Needed more bits like the SCU promo. 
Last match was fun, the big brawl at the end was exciting. The rest I could have easily not bothered with. Jim Ross seemed to have some energy and I loved hearing Tony again though.

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

It was missing any sort of character development. Needed more bits like the SCU promo. 
Last match was fun, the big brawl at the end was exciting. The rest I could have easily not bothered with. Jim Ross seemed to have some energy and I loved hearing Tony again though.

Rhubarb. They pulled the trigger on a new intensely unlikeable mid card heel and made a star out of one of their least mainstream acts.

The commentary was a marked improvement though. God, I'd forgotten how good Schiavone is.

• Paid Members

A good, solid first show. Nothing blow away but definitely an overall thumbs up.

Tony Schiavone is exactly what they needed. Slick, professional, I thought he did a fantastic job of smoothing over the cracks we've seen previously and keeping JR motivated all night. His instantly-recognisable voice adds to the Monday Nitro vibes, too. It speaks volumes for the modern standard of commentary that Jerry Lawler and Tony Schiavone have both waltzed in and immediately outclassed everyone else.

The set, colourful graphics and huge crowd all looked big-time. I suspect Vince is already discussing pulling NXT from Full Sail after seeing that crowd.

Opener was OK. I was actually a bit disappointed with the predictable attack from Jericho though as it looked like Cody was getting genuinely choked up and it would've made for a great moment seeing him getting emotional being interviewed by Schiavone on TNT.

The was way too much wrestling on the show. It definitely helped the closing angles feel extra special by having little else other than match after match after match, but for a first show you need to be showing more of those, "Road To," character vignettes to introduce everyone. That MJF match in particular could've been replaced with a vignette of him being a prick backstage or something and it would've been far more productive. At the very least, they should've done a quick video before every match the way they did before Cody vs. Sammy. Would've made for a much easier show to digest if everyone had an introduction, no matter how small.

The Women's Title match was sloppy, boring and outright bad for the majority, but thankfully they got the crowd back by the end. No idea how anyone could ever want to see Britt Baker ever again after that spot as guest commentator though. Fucking hell. Is she always this bad? She absolutely shat the bed here, even with all the commentators doing their best to get something out of her. Terrible.

Pac stands out as on a level above almost everyone else. Hopefully he's in full-time.

Fun main event. Nick Jackson's hot tag makes for great TV. I liked the Moxley attack but everyone looked a bit of a dickhead when they didn't explain why it wasn't a DQ. I understand they don't want to do DQ's but at least try and explain it by saying the referee doesn't want to end the first show on an unsatisfying call or something. Enjoyed the crazy brawl at the end, especially the huge pop for Dustin, and I love an nWo-style beat-down to end a show. There's no problem getting heat like this as long as you pay it off and it doesn't happen on every show forever until you just give up watching.

Jack Swagger though?! Not sure about that. It reeked of TNA bringing in a mid-card guy like that as a main event angle and if I'd just read the results I'd be shaking my head and tutting, but you know what? He looked like a fucking hoss in there next to everyone else, so who knows? Maybe being the literal big fish in a small pond might let us see the best of him. They definitely need some big guys to act as a base for all the flippy ones. Certainly not what I would've done on the first show though. The last thing you want to do is position yourself as TNA 2.0.

Most importantly though, where the fuck were Luchasaurus and Jungle Jack?! As if you'd do a first show and not include an act like that! Unbelievable!

Edited by Supremo

I'm no fan of Swagger, and he was totally out of place in Lucha Underground and one of the main reasons why I stopped watching it, but if he's here as a bodyguard back-up type guy for prick Jericho then that's probably the best spot for him. It's not like the company threw him in there to position him as the next Hulk Hogan.

It was a decent enough show for me and looked great but as said above, I'd have liked more vignettes or something along those lines. I only dip into non-WWE stuff every so often and I don't know much about many of the guys on the show. I had never seen Sammy Guevara before, for example, and they helped me out with the opening vid, so thumbs-up for that! More of that please.

• Paid Members

Jericho looked great in the opener. That selfie spot brilliant. Was it on TV? "Thank you Jericho" chants can fuck off when the crowd have been red hot for Cody. 

MJF is wonderful. Good to see some proper cheating. 

Jay and Silent Bob segment was right out of the WWE playbook. Be anymore low rent? Make Private Party look lamer?

SCU/Lucha Brothers angle was more organic. No three hour promo either. Scene set quickly. Skiavone fucked up. Lads had a brawl. Job done. 

Really interesting that they've put Pac over so strong. Match meandered in places, particularly with the ad break but the result was right to build on Pac beating Kenny. I thought they could have done a much better job of scene setting this one with Page coming off a big loss and Pac off a big win. Commentators sort of did it but this was ripe for bigger emphasis. 

"TV time remaining" is one of those phrases that gives me a warm buzz of nostalgia.

Good main. Moxley was awesome. Enjoyed Hager. Little thing too but selling him as undefeated MMA fighter from Bellator makes them and him look far better. He looked great tbf. They managed to find a fan reacting like Cena had just run in. Good stuff.

Decent start, I thought. Everything just feels so much more natural which really helps. Feels like wrestling used to. The commentary isn't perfect but is so much better. They pat themselves on the back too much for my liking though. Don't tell us what you're doing differently, just be it.

Overall though, it felt like a mini PPV which is a bit of a shame. They haven't hit what I want from a wrestling TV show. Will stick with it though. Was enough good here.

I enjoyed the show enough but I totally agree with @Mr.Showtime, I would have liked more vignettes. The slick, high quality hype videos on YouTube have really set AEW apart. I hope they use more of these on the main show going forward. If they relegate then to social media they’re making a huge mistake. 

I’m totally fine with them signing Jake Hager, there’s probably something worth tapping into with him. I’m not sure about closing the show with him, though.

I understand the logic in closing the show with your bigger stars and it would have been a slight risk to do this, but I’d quite like to have seen them end the show with the Women’s title match. Ending your first ever TV show with that would have been a real statement about how that division should be viewed.

I really enjoyed that match too. Riho is brilliant fun to watch (although her theme tune is horrific) and Nyla was good here too, after a slightly sloppy start to the match.

I’d like to have seen Nyla win. She’s possibly the most complete women wrestler they have in terms of balancing mic skills and ring work. 

MJF was brilliant and came across as an absolute star.

A promising start to AEW Dynamite, but I need more story content/mic work. I hope they bring that Going forward. 

Edited by RedRooster

Well I watched it this morning before coming into work.

Enjoyed it, felt different, and it's so good to hear big Tone back on commentary.

I knew as soon as logged on here that people would be shitting on Hager, but as @Supremo said he just looked fantastic, AEW needs more big bastards like Jake. Never thought I would look forward to a Swagger/Goldust match but if that's where they are heading I'm in.

It wasn't a perfect wrestling tv show by any means, i would like to see a couple more segments and video packages telling us who people are, but it felt big time with the crowd and different, so i'm looking forward to seeing where it goes over the next few weeks/months.