The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

4 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

A good thread about the AEW/ITV situation. Tony Khan gets involved too

That’s great and all and I’m sure Will has done his research, but I’m a little reticent to afford to much time to a man who I literally heard on Observer Radio say (completely seriously) that Sky should get rid of WWE and replace them with RevPro.

I remember thinking at the time “if Sky Sports give up WWE, that means they don’t want wrestling anymore”. Well, here we are...

I genuinely don’t understand the severity of the backlash to this...it’s an untested show, so it’s unlikely they had a range of options in terms of a UK deal. There are plenty quality US TV show which struggle/have struggled to even get aired here, never mind in a decent time slot. 

Having said that, perhaps I’ve completely missed something that was said that goes some way towards explaining this response.

Edited by RedRooster

31 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Some good backtracking by old Tony in that thread, reckons they are trying to get it on ITV sooner than the Sunday slot.

I highly doubt that he is, and is just something he's said as he didn't expect this huge backlash.

I think that's a little unfair as TV deals aren't the easiest thing to negotiate. Of course if Tony Khan in unable to manage a better slot it'll be "I told you he's a BS artist" but if AEW end up getting a decent Thursday or Friday evening slot it'll be cries of "Tony only pulled his finger out of his arse because of fan backlash!". He's damned either way.

It makes all the sense that AEW and TK would want a decent evening slot, preferably on a week day. So if he says he's trying then I'm inclined to believe him until we get any hard evidence to the contrary. It feels to me like everyone is jumping the gun a tad on this issue. I mean, whatever happened to waiting six months to see how things pan out, eh? ;)

8 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I genuinely don’t understand the severity of the backlash to this...it’s an untested show, so it’s unlikely they had a range of options in terms of a UK deal. There are plenty quality US TV show which struggle/have struggled to even get aired here, never mind in a decent time slot. 

Having said that, perhaps I’ve completely missed something that was said that goes some way towards explaining this response.

Because wrestling fans can be a bunch of entitled twats at times.

Nothing had been announced or confirmed regarding a deal with ITV, Cody had mentioned them at one of the Starrcast events (the second one I think, at Double or Nothing?), but nothing official had been put in place. The Doubld or Nothing and All Out pre-shows were shown on ITV4, so people jumped to the conclusion that the weekly show was going to be live on ITV4. Roll onto the week before the show debuts, and the fans don’t get what they want/what they imagined, and threw their toys out of the pram.

Granted, a 5 day delay fucking sucks in this day & age, but it at least it’s there. Now if everyone whose kicking up a stink goes and signs up to that Fite TV ‘AEW Plus’ thingy, then the ITV4 figures are going to be so low that ITV may well just not renew/drop it entirely, and then AEW has no UK TV at all.

9 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

That’s great and all and I’m sure Will has done his research, but I’m a little reticent to afford to much time to a man who I literally heard on Observer Radio say (completely seriously) that Sky should get rid of WWE and replace them with RevPro.

I remember thinking at the time “if Sky Sports give up WWE, that means they don’t want wrestling anymore”. Well, here we are...

Having a bad idea about creative scheduling doesn't mean he can't correctly disseminate information about ofcom guidelines

• Paid Members

Does anybody know, could AEW negotiate with another station for an earlier primetime freeview showing whilst keeping these replays/highlight shows on ITV? Or will they be contractually obligated to be on ITV only? Say they could get a Dave or a Challenge or whoever to take them on for Thursday evening 9-11, would that be legally feasible? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

If they'd said nothing, I think this would be OTT. Unfortunately, Cody running his mouth claiming they've got a better UK slot than WWE has come back to bite them hard.

48 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Does anybody know, could AEW negotiate with another station for an earlier primetime freeview showing whilst keeping these replays/highlight shows on ITV? Or will they be contractually obligated to be on ITV only? Say they could get a Dave or a Challenge or whoever to take them on for Thursday evening 9-11, would that be legally feasible? 

They’d only be able to put it on Channels that ITV own/operate, those being the main ITV Channel, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBE, LittleBe and ITV Box Office. All of those channels are aimed at different demographics, ITV4 being the best fit for AEW. Challenge is owned by Sky/Comcast, Dave is owned by UKTV.

The best option would’ve been to have been able to make it available on demand on ITV Hub from Thursdays, but clearly ITV didn’t offer that. It’ll most likely be on demand following the first tv airing, which as it stands is the Sunday morning showing.

If people are that desperate to watch it live or an earlier replay, then the Fite TV option is a good one and is hardly going to break the bank. There are some saying “well, it should be on free to air”. Why should it be? Other than the brief period it was on Channel4 (who gave up on it pretty quickly), WWE hasn’t been on free to air TV for over 30 years. People want everything but arn’t willing to pay for it. They will be the same people who want it on free TV and then go and torrent the PPV.

Then you’ve got folks saying that they should’ve gone with Sky Sports, like they were an option in the first place. If you ignore the fact that Sky Sports have willingly let a 30+year partnership with WWE go somewhere else and assume that they still wanted Wrestling on there, a Sky Sports Subscription to get AEW would set you back (currently) a minimum £42 per month. That Fite TV $5 service seems a lot more appealing all of a sudden

Edited by WyattSheepMask

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

If they'd said nothing, I think this would be OTT. Unfortunately, Cody running his mouth claiming they've got a better UK slot than WWE has come back to bite them hard.

Correct. Don't build up expectations if you can't live up to them, especially when you're just starting out in a new market.

5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Correct. Don't build up expectations if you can't live up to them, especially when you're just starting out in a new market.

It's not quite as bad, but reminds me of an RQW style we've got a big announcement around the corner and don't worry, we'll be putting a press release out announcing when the announcement might be very soon probably.  But it's going to be big, trust me.

Reading between the lines, it feels like they had a much better deal than this lined up with ITV, and then for some reason it's gone tits up in the last few weeks.  Which begs the question... why?  Did someone at ITV finally watch the product?