The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The reality is 5 years form now we could be looking back at what could have been while we watch old episodes of dynamite on the wwe network... Then again it might be the next roh/impact just eecking out a living doing smaller tv/house shows with only hundreds of people  attending 

Edited by kidzero

• Paid Members

An early morning repeat is not a bad idea at all, but I am kind of surprised that they weren't able to land some kind of late night viewing, even on an hour's tape delay on either the Wednesday or else a day later, say even Midnight on Thursdays.

It'll not affect me anyway, as there's not a chance I'd have been sitting up until 3am on a Wednesday, and I don't have means to record the show. As is, I'll watch Dynamite the same way that I was going to previously, on Thursday morning, with the TNT logo in the corner somewhere. 

Ideal for me this. I'm up early on Sunday mornings with the dog so spend my time watching the MOTD repeat or SSN. 

I'm more of a casual fan this days so I'm not too bothered about the delay or if 'PG sux' - if the show is good then the show is good whatever the time.

I'll be giving it a go, news that's probably causing Tony K to pop the champagne bottles I'm sure.

Fuck me. Seeing the brainwashed AEW fans on Twitter thanking Tony and Fite for the pay option is utter bullshit.

Tony is full of shit. Cody is full of shit for overselling their TV deal previously.

It's really soured me on them to be honest. Can't be dealing with a new company who want to be an alternative to the big baddie only to fuck over fans at the first hurdle. Well done.

Wouldn't be half as bad if they didn't feel the need to show off about their deal before. Should've just kept their mouths shut.

• Paid Members

If enough people watch, ITV will take notice and then they will likely get a better timeslot. Ratings (or rather the potential as revenue attached) is king for the ITV business model.

Didn't WOS have their repeat in that timeslot and it outdrew the first airing most weeks? Might have factored in to ITV's logic. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, mim731 said:

If enough people watch, ITV will take notice and then they will likely get a better timeslot. Ratings (or rather the potential as revenue attached) is king for the ITV business model.

Didn't WOS have their repeat in that timeslot and it outdrew the first airing most weeks? Might have factored in to ITV's logic. 

That repeat was at lunchtime on ITV, not early morning on ITV 4

• Paid Members

The theory going around is that Ofcom only allow a maximum of 12 minutes of adverts per hour on free to air TV channels. As such, what’s acceptable for a live Raw or Smackdown on a paid channel like Sky Sports won’t work for a live AEW on a free channel like ITV4.

So, the options are to either broadcast it live, but with a studio to cut to whenever the US feed goes to adverts, or show it on delay and recut it to adhere to Ofcom. 

It makes sense, it’s just a shame that the delayed broadcast that’s recut has such a terrible time slot.

I’m happy to pay to see the shows live, a pound or so per show is nothing at all, but yeah. They’re still absolute dickheads for seemingly bragging about their deal without understanding the restrictions in place.

Edited by Supremo

It’s 12 vs 16 minutes of ads for FTA vs Subs channels. Or at least it was before I left Sky in 2017.

Even still, Sky sometimes have to use a holding bumper before going back to the live broadcasts of Raw/SD because of extensive ads in the US. Hence why sometimes you’ll be stuck watching a Raw logo and the looped title theme for hours before the show starts again.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

It's not about whether a quid a show is reasonable value or not. It may be. It's that you can't make new fans that way. People aren't sampling something that they don't have any knowledge of, if there's a pay wall, even if it was a penny per show. It's a hurdle they don't need if they want to make a new fan base - which AEW have to if they want to be self sufficient. 

They desperately need to be seen on television to create new fans. It doesn't need to be live, as new fans or casuals aren't following the sites, news sheets and forums like the rest of us. They damn sure aren't sitting up until 1am waiting for a new show to start either. AEW, if they want to be even half as popular over here as TNA were at their peak, need a time slot similar to that of TNA on Challenge (even if it was a week or more of a delay). They need the show to be on, and finished by about 1am at the latest. 

The Sunday morning airing is useful as a replay, and the Monday night highlight show is also a handy addition, but they need a 2 hour version in prime time/late night, if they want to make the most of this market. 

Putting it on fight is good for the bottom line at the minute, but that seems like a mistake to me if it is the plan for anymore than a few weeks, without securing a proper timeslot for the whole show. Keep the Fite idea running for any of the mental cases that want to be awake at 3am, watching wrestling during the week. Get money off these people if you can, but AEW definitely need a viable timeslot, and soon, if they want to capture new people while they have this buzz at the beginning. 

8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Tony Khan's a massive bullshit artist. You only have to see those media scrums (co-opted website writers) after each show. He seems to have gotten into this to be liked. Which is cool, nobody wants to be seen as a dog shagging Fulham cunt, but like everything that is slightly debatable he's like "oh, that wasnt supposed to happen." Kylie Rae leaving? Mutual decisions, obvs. Thumbtacks and gushers on the show? Oh this is PPV, we'll never do that on TV. Comedy bullshit? "this is a video game convention, not a legit AEW showcase." The dog nearly shits out his kidneys when the pyro goes off? "well, I wasnt a fan of using animals at All In and I'm not now." Well he's the owner. If you dont want Cody Rhodes dog there, tell him "no!" They seem incapable for just going "let's see how it plays out." It reminds me of early 2000s BritWres. They'll think something is a good idea because there is nobody around them to go "that's shit, mate" and when it gets a bad reaction, they'll cry about how "that wasnt how its intended." Madness, man. You can tell he owns a footy club.

I know the AEW faithful hate him, but Jim Cornette has a point when he says 'Does anybody say 'no' anymore?!' in regards to some of the things that get the go ahead - whether that be the talent saying 'no' to a stupid booking suggestion or management going 'no' in regards to a silly spot etc.
It does seem like AEW will be the 'we let our talent do what they want' promotions which sounds good but has led to the problems highlighted in the post above.
Every company needs someone who says 'No, that's not happening'.... and it seems like AEW doesn't have that. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

So, the options are to either broadcast it live, but with a studio to cut to whenever the US feed goes to adverts, or show it on delay and recut it to adhere to Ofcom. .

Or show promotional videos for ITV programming on which there is no limit, like they do anyway in the sparrow fart hours. Or maybe, ITV aren't as arsed as everyone thought they were about AEW and can spin more money from Minder and The Professionals which get more eyeballs than AEW probably would (millionaire used to pump TNA on Challenge for example),  which they can show for next to fuck all, and in the case of Minder is awesome.

I feel sorry for AEW on this one, but to me it shows ITV don't give the fuck about it that we all seemed to think they would.

• Paid Members

I wasn’t aware they could just wham in-house adverts or idents on to fill the time and keep within Ofcom standards. Now I finally understand why I’m staring at that Raw logo for so long whenever I catch it live!

Knowing that, it sounds a lot more like ITV fucking them off and them needing an excuse. 

For context, here’s the bollocks Cody was spouting a few months back.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Depending on how close to the PG-14 rating they push it this 8.20am showing could just end up being two hours of either still frames, crowd shots or appear to have been filmed in black and white. The highlight show might be worth a look, but it could also lose a lot of context if it's just a two hour show edited to an hour. Hopefully it's not Alex Marvez doing his best Scott Stanford impression. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That repeat was at lunchtime on ITV, not early morning on ITV 4

While you are correct on the channel being different, it frequently aired at 10.20 on Sunday mornings on ITV, which last time I checked is far from "lunchtime".