The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

The theory going around is that Ofcom only allow a maximum of 12 minutes of adverts per hour on free to air TV channels. As such, what’s acceptable for a live Raw or Smackdown on a paid channel like Sky Sports won’t work for a live AEW on a free channel like ITV4.

So, the options are to either broadcast it live, but with a studio to cut to whenever the US feed goes to adverts, or show it on delay and recut it to adhere to Ofcom. 

It makes sense, it’s just a shame that the delayed broadcast that’s recut has such a terrible time slot.

I’m happy to pay to see the shows live, a pound or so per show is nothing at all, but yeah. They’re still absolute dickheads for seemingly bragging about their deal without understanding the restrictions in place.

Isn't Sky Sports Mix FTA? RAW is live on that a lot of the time. 

• Paid Members

"We're putting wrestling back on the telly!" Cody 'One Night Stand' Rhodes exclaimed.

Are we that surprised this all went tits up? ITV was always a weird choice for AEW (a product that ITV have little control over, and a product that goes against their general aesthetic, AND against their previous forays into pro wrestling). ITV were never an ideal fit for this and I had my doubts from the get-go.

The Fite TV option is a bit shite as well. Yep, I'm definitely gonna be splashing out 4 quid for 8 hours of content per month and 'exclusive backstage footage'. Have they seen what $4.99 gets you on other streaming services? 

We'll see where the FITE TV sub goes but right now it's certainly not competitive. FITE have a huge library of shows, so I would be more enticed by the sub if you got to explore that. Make it a monthly curation; one month you get a selection of AIW shows as part of the AEW sub, the next month it's GCW. I'll be well up for that.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Does this also mean you'd get the go home for a PPV on ITV the morning after the PPV? That's 1990s WCW on TNT levels of poor planning. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

This doesn't really affect me because I'll happily watch on FITE. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity with the general audience though. Sunday morning repeat is fine but they needed a slot on Thursday or Friday evenings at the absolute latest to capture what little casual fanbase there is left. This is a balls up.

I'm not sure it's that big a balls up though. They're still on TNT in their key market. That's huge. There's a big element of the hardcore UK fanbase, certainly the ones who buy tickets, who'll seek them out. It's not disastrous by any stretch but Cody's "we've got a better deal in the UK than WWE" looks a crock of shit.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:03 PM, UK Kat Von D said:

Why would Khan pay to be on sky sports? That is the dumbest suggestion ever. It’s pointless being on Sky because it won’t fill anywhere near the hours WWE have left behind. Much better suited to an ITV channel where they can get a good rating In a poor time slot and and another good rating at a reasonable time the following evening. AEW isn’t going to show up and start putting out WWE hours, so they have nothing at all to offer Skysports 

Be better than the deal they have got with ITV and fite!

• Paid Members

They are in a position to reach more eyeballs by being on free TV as opposed to a pay channel like Sky/BT, so technically Cody isn't lying. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, mim731 said:

While you are correct on the channel being different, it frequently aired at 10.20 on Sunday mornings on ITV, which last time I checked is far from "lunchtime".

I thought it was on at 13:00. Tbf it did bounce around. I know it had a late night Saturday post pub slot

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I wasn’t aware they could just wham in-house adverts or idents on to fill the time and keep within Ofcom standards. Now I finally understand why I’m staring at that Raw logo for so long whenever I catch it live!

Knowing that, it sounds a lot more like ITV fucking them off and them needing an excuse. 

For context, here’s the bollocks Cody was spouting a few months back.

They do it for Raw/Smackdown so don’t understand why they couldn’t do it too.

• Paid Members

I know it’ll almost certainly not be the case, but personally, if I’m an ITV executive and I catch a glimpse of some of the absolute shit they’ve had us air on some of these pre-shows so far? I wouldn’t be wasting much time trying to give them a good slot or help them build an audience. I mean, let’s not forget...

tumblr_ptwjq0fmKl1s05wxzo1_400.gif

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't give a shit about technicalities. He oversold it and looks like a fucking gimp now.

Completely agree, just pre-empting certain responses

2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I know it’ll almost certainly not be the case, but personally, if I’m an ITV executive and I catch a glimpse of some of the absolute shit they’ve had us air on some of these pre-shows so far? I wouldn’t wasting much time trying to give them a good slot or help them build an audience. I mean, let’s not forget...

tumblr_ptwjq0fmKl1s05wxzo1_400.gif

There's nothing I'd rather watch while I'm eating my breakfast on a Sunday morning.

This is so shit.

I'm as traditional a viewer and casual fan of AEW as they come - I won't be watching on a streaming service for 5 quid a month, and although I'll probably skyplus the sunday morning 2 hour show, I don't see how I'm likely to avoid spoilers for 4 DAYS, and how it can avoid being completely butchered in the edit.

a real let down.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Does this also mean you'd get the go home for a PPV on ITV the morning after the PPV? That's 1990s WCW on TNT levels of poor planning. 

Tony Khan has already stated that won't be the case, we will get the free to air version earlier when there is a PPV on apparantly.