Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

If Bret had mentioned knobbing a waitress in that statement it'd have been a full house in Bret Hart bingo

He's probably my favourite wrestler ever but he didn't exactly get his points over well, Martha doesn't care about the fans? Didn't realise she was obliged to

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Bret's been a confusing one since Montreal. He flips and flops all over the place, depending on what he's looking to get out of someone/something.

I can't imagine he's been easy for Martha to deal with at all.

He seems like a typical stroke victim to be honest. I don't think it's deliberate or he's doing it for any real goal. It's just that his emotions really are all over the place. Probably the strangest thing in that clip is him somehow blaming the bulk of the screwjob on Jerry Brisco and Triple H, as if Earl Hebner, Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon only had minor parts in the entire thing. I'm sure if he got asked the same question on a different day, he'd have a different answer.

I haven't watched the Montreal episode but do they touch on the bizarre relationship between the Harts and the McMahons? Vince really fucked them over by agreeing to buy Stampede, shutting it down for a year and then refusing to pay for it. Despite that they've always shown him nothing but loyalty in return. I read an interview with Davey Boy from just a few days before he died and he said that the main reason he didn't join WCW in 1996 was because of pressure from the Harts. Bret would constantly hassle him about it on the road and Stu and Helen, who he was living with at the time, wouldn't pass on any messages from Bischoff. He basically stayed with the WWF to get an easy life. It always struck me as a strange situation.

13 minutes ago, danlewis said:

Does he think that Owen’s matches aren’t available? 

Aye. All the "Martha is erasing Owen's legacy" is such manipulative bollocks. WWE own the matches and can do what they want with them. They can even put him in the Hall of Fame if they want. All her involvement would really do is absolve WWE for their part in his death. It's completely understandable why she wants nothing to do with that.

You can see more Owen Hart footage than you ever could, you can watch him doing moonsaults and rope bounces directly on your shitty telephone waiting for a bus, on the Network, probably on NJPW World too? He's everywhere. People love him, people remember him. Basically every time he comes up it's with fondness

At this point with all the information available to them on the foundations website, after this, the Jericho podcast, the podcast a few months ago that interviewed Korderas, fans who are still as hyper critical as they ever were want to chant you deserve it at Bruce and a 300 quid Chalkline jacket, nothing else. People seem to think unless there's a constant stream of trinkets or a fucking speech then nobodys arsed and there isnt some sort of weird finality to everything.

Bret comes across similar sometimes in interviews, but i've got an endless amount of respect for him for handling this on top of everything else without going full Billy Jack Haynes or whatever. WWE's the only game in town, certainly in Bret's career. You can understand why he'd want them to handle a retrospective or doc or anything else.

Oje put it best at the end talking about them wanting to engrave his name on a worthless silver plate. What are any of us after here? What is the point? Martha lives in a house with a keyring that his employers suspended him 80 feet in the air with stuffed into a box full of 20 year old police reports, ephemera and notes. Her old life, her husbands death is just a space on a shelf and people really want fucking Elite deluxe figures with 25 points of articulation and a DLC pack.

Edited by Cannibal Man

27 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

He seems like a typical stroke victim to be honest. I don't think it's deliberate or he's doing it for any real goal. It's just that his emotions really are all over the place. 

I think that's a valid point. It's a shame that there is no relationship there between the two and while I understand Bret's sentiment to a degree I can't agree that Martha has 'erased Owen's legacy' as if a WWE HoF induction will change anything. She represented Owen when he was inducted into another wrestling Hall of Fame and spoke fondly about some of his matches on Talk is Jericho. It's a shame as both of them are doing what they are doing, and saying what they are saying, out of love for Owen. 

I thought Martha and her son came off great, have a perfectly legitimate gripe and are justified in all their actions but also felt the show was heavily weighted to their side of the story. 

It rewrites the history I know to make out Owen wasn't a massive wrestling fan and didn't love it as much as he did. Yes I'm sure he cared for his family more but from the stories I remember he loved it in wrestling and wasn't just in to get the money and out as it insinuated. 

Also, didn't know that about The Brood so that is a pretty large inaccuracy to broadcast as the truth. 

Hard to disagree with their reasons to not want him in Hall of Fame though. Why would they want anything to do with that company? And Vince definitely Trump like in that presser. 

Didn't Foley say in his first book that it annoyed him watching Raw is Owen that wrestler after wrestler said Owen loved the business more than anything when the only thing he really cared about was his wife and kids? Might be misremembering but I'm sure it was along those lines

36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@LWOLeN How much longer are you going to show off your ability to search for Owen Hart videos on YouTube? Go and do a Nugget thread ffs.

Also found this for you:

Martha Hart on Jericho's podcast

https://omny.fm/shows/talk-is-jericho/owen-martha-hart-to-hart

Martha said, “He tried for a long time to get out of the business and he applied to the fire department every year for years and at that time, it was really hard to get on the fire department.”

Edited by LWOLeN

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Wasn't he planning to save up enough cash (as he himself said in home video footage) and get out and become a fireman? Heard it said often he wasn't planning on being around much longer. 

Thought you meant Foley for a minute. Imagine you're burning to death and he comes up the fucking ladder.