Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

What only struck me recently is that, while on some level I can understand the WWF's "show must go on" mentality, I can't understand how it was allowed. How was the ring/arena not treated as a crime scene?

Because...wrestling. Considered low-brow and therefore beneath notice, and the industry's always taken advantage of that.

26 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I couldn’t believe it when Martha dug out the clip that was holding Owen. That flimsy piece of shit was supposed to take a man weighing, what, 210lbs? 220lbs tops. I wouldn’t have trusted it to hold a bag of shopping

I think he was said to be 240lbs. 

He had a 52" chest, I read somewhere. Deceptively large man.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I couldn’t believe it when Martha dug out the clip that was holding Owen. That flimsy piece of shit was supposed to take a man weighing, what, 210lbs? 220lbs tops. I wouldn’t have trusted it to hold a bag of shopping

It was really shocking.

On a slightly lighter note - is it just me or is the Owen Hart/Ultimate Warrior friendship a fly-on-the-wall footage documentary series you never knew you wanted to see? :)

• Paid Members

Onto the blood thing again, I've listening to the Bix rundown of this on John Pollock's podcast, and in the police report specified that there were two distinct real blood stains on the mat, along with the stage blood. So the stain on the mat was a mix of both, which is a weird little thing. Awful really.

• Paid Members
On 5/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, chokeout said:

American copyright law has quite wonderful fair usage clauses which means you could happily use WWE footage without their consent in small sections throughout a documentary to support a wider narrative. My guess is that WWE didn't provide any of the footage featured ( the crowd shots from the Over The Edge PPV are obviously taken from a VHS rip) 

Yeah the lads said on the podcast to Conrad that they filmed it from VHS rips on old tube televisions so gives it that retro look. 

11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s on there now, I checked after the episode (I didn’t watch it, just curious)

I watched Over The Edge '99 on the Network in preparation for listening to a podcast once (think it was for Grilling JR a year ago). All of the Owen stuff is edited out including all references to him IIRC. Was surprised they had the show on there in any form at all but then this is WWE we're talking about. I remember watching it live and I hadn't watched it again until last year.

The Documentary was as hard to watch as I expected. The part that I found most upsetting was Martha describing seeing Owen's body, trying to run away only for Bret to bear hug her and walk her towards him. Harrowing stuff.

@LCJ I think it’s on there because when the network was launching, having “every PPV ever” was a key part of its marketing.

Had Over The Edge 99 not been there, and while any normal person would’ve understood why, there would’ve been some mutuants kicking up a stink about had it been left off. I know you said that you watched it as a prelude to a podcast which I can understand, but why anyone would watch it for any other reason is beyond me- “oh, you know what I fancy watching? The show Owen Hart died at”

42 minutes ago, Pinc said:

A graphic comes up at he start saying ‘In Memory of Owen Hart, who accidentally passed away during this broadcast.’ Carny bastards.

Yeah that’s true I forgot about that (it’s been a year). I think the WWF Attitude Video Game From ‘99 did the same as it was released not long after Owen died and I’m guessing it was too late to take him out.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

@LCJ I think it’s on there because when the network was launching, having “every PPV ever” was a key part of its marketing.

Had Over The Edge 99 not been there, and while any normal person would’ve understood why, there would’ve been some mutuants kicking up a stink about had it been left off. I know you said that you watched it as a prelude to a podcast which I can understand, but why anyone would watch it for any other reason is beyond me- “oh, you know what I fancy watching? The show Owen Hart died at”

While some people would have cried about it, no doubt, anyone with any decency would see that as no reason at all to put it on there. If they ever hide behind that, they're cowards as well as scumbags.

32 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

While some people would have cried about it, no doubt, anyone with any decency would see that as no reason at all to put it on there. If they ever hide behind that, they're cowards as well as scumbags.

Totally agree, the vast majority would understand, but we all know that fans (of many things, not just wrestling) can be a weird bunch. 

I’ve never had any desire to ever see the show again, the only other things I can remember from it were Taker won the belt and lost it again soon after and I think it was when HHH upgraded to Main Event Pants

Taker lost the belt back to Austin on Raw about a month later in front of one of the most mental crowds I've ever seen 

That PPV was shite without the tragedy, depressing thing is there's probably people watching it on the network moaning that they've edited all the Owen bits out