Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

44 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

I wanted them to cover the story of that money mark in the 2000's who promised a massive show, paid a ton of wrestlers and when it was revealed she couldn't put on the show and they came for the money, she killed herself. I'd love to know more about that story.

Not heard that one before , any more details ?

• Paid Members

An upstart female independent pro wrestling promoter named Darlene “Jersey” Brown booked what seemed like a can’t fail “Legends” show in Michigan in 2003. Her promotion was called Global Professional Wrestling Entertainment and Brown booked the show at Michigan’s famous National Cherry Festival, which usually draws on average over 500,000 people. Brown booked several names for the show including the Rock N Roll Express, the Powers of Pain, Dusty Rhodes, Larry Zbyszko and Colt Cabana.

Brown promised the festival organizers that her legends show would draw at least 3,000 fans. Darlene Brown had owned a drywall business, so the many of the talents looked at her as a “money mark.” Darlene Brown paid all the talent, ring crew and vendors by check. The problem was the checks started to immediately bounce and some talent decided to no-show. The actual show only generated 120 fans and angry crew members started looking for Ms. Brown. She seemed like she got into this event way over her head.

A day after the failed wrestling show, Ms. Brown was found dead in her home. The coroner ruled her death to be a suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. There was alcohol in her system at the time of her death. Darlene Brown was just 45 years old.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

I wanted them to cover the story of that money mark in the 2000's who promised a massive show, paid a ton of wrestlers and when it was revealed she couldn't put on the show and they came for the money, she killed herself. I'd love to know more about that story.

Don’t money marks tend to, y’know, have the money?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Vice are also doing spin-off shows Dark Side of Football and Dark Side of The ‘90s.

Gridiron or soccer?

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

FMW seems like an odd choice but I'm 100% here for it, I'd imagine Hayabusa will have a large portion dedicated to him.

Onita was interviewed on Vice's other wrestling show, when they did a deathmatch episode, so it may be that they already have the contacts. There's a lot in there that could make for a really fun episode, I'm probably looking forward to that one most of all.