Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Still amusing that when it came to talking about women in Japanese society they had to interview some random punk band. 

If it's the show I'm thinking of with Damian Abraham, it would be less that they "had" to interview a punk band, and more that because he's the lead singer of Fucked Up, that's the world he inhabits, so there likely was either already a connection there or it was just an angle he was keen on.

Abraham's wrestling show already did an episode on deathmatches in which he interviewed Onita - and spent insane money buying one of his barbed wire baseball bats at a memorabilia store - and he's written about FMW for the Vice website before. So I suspect they would be doing that episode either directly because of him, or because he's built up a network of contacts they can use.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:29 PM, Chili said:

The Kanyon/Boy George thing is absolutely something done to rib a gay bloke in a big absolutely not gay at all wrestling business. It just smacks of it and very something you'd get in early 2003. Look how a gay wedding and lesbians were portrayed a season prior in the autumn. It achieved nothing and was way too on the nose.

I think Kanyon was an unfortunate mix in a guy who absolutely loved, LOVED wrestling but would have been way happier and mentally balanced and maybe able to deal with what was really a big complex issue for his life has he not been in a locker room with some of the lot walking around backstage in 2003 WWE. Shame he was so talented to be honest. I don't think he'd have actually been happier out of wrestling though. He was too good to be told not and seemed so dedicated to it. He'd have probably been alive had he'd got into it a lot later maybe. I dunno I've just always felt terrible about how it ended up for Kanyon.

EDIT: Didn't see Pat who wrote it better and more clearly. Read that bit.

Was listening to the Jericho Podcast with Helms & DDP recently and apparently Kanyon was a very well paid physical therapist (earning six figures a year in the mid 90s for it) but loved wrestling that much that he gave it up to chase the dream which makes it even worse in some ways. 

• Paid Members

Has there been any word on when the new series actually starts? I read that it’ll be 14 episodes so still a few to be revealed yet right? What have they confirmed so far? Pillman, FMW, Kanyon, Collision In Korea, XPW, Grizzly Smith family, Bruiser Bedlam, Nick Gage. 

On 27/01/2021 at 11:09 AM, BomberPat said:

If it's the show I'm thinking of with Damian Abraham, it would be less that they "had" to interview a punk band, and more that because he's the lead singer of Fucked Up

I saw Fucked Up at Blackpool Winter Gardens a few years ago. Was amazed when Damian said how chuffed he was to be in a building where Big Daddy wrestled.

I didn't know he was that big into wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 10:03 AM, RancidPunx said:

Has a Dynamite Kid episode ever been suggested or rumoured ?

https://www.sescoops.com/2021/02/dynamite-kid-episode-confirmed-for-dark-side-of-the-ring-season-3/

Excellent .

I hope they are fair and balanced , which i think they will be. It seems he was equally as bad a person as he was great a wrestler .

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I mean, he threatened to shoot his wife but he could throw a good clothesline so that documentary better be balanced.

Was he a good worker - Yes 

Was he a horrible person - Yes 

If the documentary is all about how good a worker he was , then it wont be balanced.

If the documentary is all about how bad a person is then it also wont be balanced . 

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Was he a good worker - Yes 

Was he a horrible person - Yes 

If the documentary is all about how good a worker he was , the it wont be balanced.

If the documentary is all about how bad a person is then it also wont be balanced . 

Since when does any documentary have to be balanced?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Since when does any documentary have to be balanced?

I for one am amazed that The Dark Side Of The Ring might want to focus on the negatives, and not that he had a good match against Tiger Mask.