Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

FMW seems like an odd choice but I'm 100% here for it, I'd imagine Hayabusa will have a large portion dedicated to him.

Shoichi Arai, the guy who ran it, wrote a book about some of the insanity in the promotion: http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWChapter1.html

It was effectively a more extreme (so to speak) version of the ECW story of being a bare-bones company that wound up growing rapidly and being in constant cashflow problems. They were doing baseball stadium shows while only having seven office staff and at least some of their debt was with the Yakuza.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, JNLister said:

Shoichi Arai, the guy who ran it, wrote a book about some of the insanity in the promotion: http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWChapter1.html

It was effectively a more extreme (so to speak) version of the ECW story of being a bare-bones company that wound up growing rapidly and being in constant cashflow problems. They were doing baseball stadium shows while only having seven office staff and at least some of their debt was with the Yakuza.

There is also an amazing podcast / youtube series by Bahu which chronicles FMW year by year which is definitely worth a watch for anyone interested in the companies history.

I believe it's come out an episode will feature Chris Kanyon.

Thoroughly recommend his book for anyone who hasn't read it, his story is excellent but also very tragic and he comes across as if he was extremely likeable. Should be a cracker of an episode.

Edited by FUM

On 1/20/2021 at 10:42 PM, Merzbow said:

FMW seems like an odd choice but I'm 100% here for it, I'd imagine Hayabusa will have a large portion dedicated to him.

The last owner got into massive debt and committed suicide didn't he?

Definitely looking forward to that and XPW. 

1 hour ago, FUM said:

I believe it's come out an episode will feature Chris Kanyon.

Thoroughly recommend his book for anyone who hasn't read it, his story is excellent but also very tragic and he comes across as if he was extremely likeable. Should be a cracker of an episode.

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him in New York the night before Wrestlemania 20.

He was an absolute gentleman who took his coat off to give to my friend who wasn't wearing one and was shivering. 

When he apologised as he need to leave my friend went to take the coat off to give back to him and he responded with "You need it more than me, keep it."

1 hour ago, ThommoLincs said:

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him in New York the night before Wrestlemania 20.

He was an absolute gentleman who took his coat off to give to my friend who wasn't wearing one and was shivering. 

When he apologised as he need to leave my friend went to take the coat off to give back to him and he responded with "You need it more than me, keep it."

What a great story. Kanyon is such a tragedy - seems to be one of those guys who was just a really great person. Jericho just did a podcast dedicated to him with DDP and Shane Helms sharing stories which is worth a listen. 

• Paid Members

The tragic thing about Kanyon is that his problems really had nothing to do with wrestling. He just couldn't seem to cope with the fact that he was gay. Even after he came out, he pushed it like it was a massive deal - which I'm sure it was to him - and couldn't seem to understand that no one was particularly bothered. I'm sure he took that as homophobia, and a form of rejection, when it was actually the exact opposite.

He used to pay women to stay at his house and pretend to be his girlfriend, which is just really sad.

Talented guy too. He was one of my favourites in the 90s. Such a shame that he couldn't find a way to be happy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

The tragic thing about Kanyon is that his problems really had nothing to do with wrestling. He just couldn't seem to cope with the fact that he was gay. 

I think you're doing him a disservice by not acknowledging the role that the culture of wrestling will have had on that, though. 

We've got a whole thread discussing how The Undertaker was just recently banging on about "real men" in locker rooms - and he's the guy that's always been heralded as the locker room leader, and the "conscience" of the WWF. It's that kind of sheltered, hyper-masculine environment that would have led to him having so much self-doubt and insecurity about his sexuality.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

I think you're doing him a disservice by not acknowledging the role that the culture of wrestling will have had on that, though. 

We've got a whole thread discussing how The Undertaker was just recently banging on about "real men" in locker rooms - and he's the guy that's always been heralded as the locker room leader, and the "conscience" of the WWF. It's that kind of sheltered, hyper-masculine environment that would have led to him having so much self-doubt and insecurity about his sexuality.

Fair point. It's worth noting the Boy George shit as well, I suppose, which he flat out said devastated him. And me, actually. I was looking forward to him coming back - from nearly dying - and they did that nonsense.

It was the impression that I got from reading his book though, and from people that worked with him in WCW. It just seemed like something he couldn't accept it about himself. He built it up far far bigger than it actually was to anybody else. Like, even when he came out and everybody accepted it, it still wasn't enough for him. He seemed to think that being openly gay should've made him a superstar and.....it just didn't.

Would it have been different if he hadn't been a wrestler? Probably. I'm just not sure that we can really blame the wrestling business for it though. That Boy George shit aside, it's not like there are any stories of Kanyon being ostracised or bullied.....or anything. In fact, his biggest complaint at the end was that wrestling companies *didn't* want to focus on his sexuality, which he was insistent on.

It should be an interesting episode all the same. I do hope they touch on all they other stuff he did for WCW outside of the ring as well. It's something he doesn't get nearly enough credit for, particularly all the talent he discovered.

14 hours ago, BomberPat said:

That might have been the case. And that kind of thought process has long been the general assumption of how it is on that subject matter in wrestling locker rooms. There's evidence of homophobic elements appearing in the product over the years and some wrestlers exposing their homophobic mindsets also, you'd have found just as much of that outside the wrestling bubble at the same periods mind. What i've always found contradictory to that though is Pat Patterson. Maybe there's something i'm not aware of, but he' d been openly gay forever and there's few that have been held in such a high regard and respected by other workers as him within the WWE/F. There'd be the jokes along the lines of "doing some rear-end work at the Briscoes Body Shop" and again perhaps i've misread it, but that sort of stuff never felt like it had any kind of hate or malice behind it, seemed more lovingly joking and it seemed like Pat absolutely enjoyed being part of the whole environment and culture of wrestling. Genuinely curious if i am missing something on that though, as i've always felt it didn't add up with the general consensus of how most saw locker rooms to be.

Orlando Jordan was out only a couple of years after Kanyon wasn't he? I don't recall anybody giving much of a shit about that either and the same with Darren Young a little later. There's definitely a percentage of homophobic types that exist in wrestling, but i'm not sure you can put the culture of wrestling on causing someone to struggle with their sexuality anymore than other aspects of their life - their childhood, home life, other work places could/might have.

I'd be very interested in this episode all those things considered. Really liked Kanyon, he's very much in my boys stable. Utterly shit how it went for him and when it happened very much wondered if it was just a case of his own insecurities or was compounded by being within wrestling, didn't realise there was a book.

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard