Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

14 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Little celebration or admiration for his wrestling legacy by his wife or kids. His daughter basically sees wrestling as the devil. 

Martha is a doctor and Oje is a human rights lawyer. Got the feeling they really look down upon their families pro wrestling legacy, even though they are Harts. Whole Hart family fell apart.

In comparison: David Benoit is probably standing in his fathers tights right now as I type this and rewatching and enjoying WrestleMania with a big grin on his face. 

I think this might be the worst thing I’ve ever read and I’ve read blogs.

57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I find the 'we all knew what it was like' argument really years. It was over two decades ago. What we learned and processed when we were mostly in our teens and what we think and feel about it in hindsight are two different things.

It's used a lot as a response - "we all know, nothing changes - should have done something it then if we really cared". We know about more shit that went on now, and we are hearing more voices than we heard then. Just look at years of WWE telling us Martha Hart's a money-grabbing bitch with a grudge.

Suggesting we can't rethink things as we learn and grow is some pretty weak justification.

It's not a 'justification' really. I'm just not going to come out and straight up lie and say that this documentary has opened my eyes up to a whole world I never knew existed.

Just like I'm not going to pretend that I don't know what the deal is with Saudi Arabia, or shit like that.

I'm honest enough to hold my hands up and say I knew about all this shit before, and if that makes me a disgusting cunt for still watching then that's that. But I'm certainly not going to pretend it hasn't ever been on my radar because it has since the moment I watched it.

Of course you can rethink things. Absolutely, and fair play to anyone that does. I certainly sympathise a lot more with Martha now, but to the point where I'll stop watching WWE? If I haven't by now, I doubt it.

24 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Like I said. Didn’t enjoy the episode. Wanted to see more of the Owen Hart foundation, his amazing matches and leave on a happier note. 

Owen Hart is a tremendous wrestler. I feel bad for his wife and kids. Would have hoped for them that they could be more proud of Owen Hart the pro wrestler, his amazing talent and mentally separate this from the accident.

Can’t blame them though. 

Come on mate, separate Owen the pro wrestler from what happened? That's the same warped type of thinking knobheads have had about what happened with Benoit for years 

Fair enough if English isn't your first language but I don't think there's any decent way to suggest how a family who lost their father far too early should think about him after his passing, especially when it's based entirely on what job he happened to have

• Paid Members

People cant even keep their stories straight with Martha. She got ripped apart when his DVD came out because it was just a WWF years thing and not celebrating his life. People go "remember the wrestler" and when she turns around and says "you can celebrate his career, but that's all you're doing" people cry over that. Putting him in a Hall of Fame or one of their horrendous video games wont bring him back.

4 minutes ago, Pogue said:

Come on mate, separate Owen the pro wrestler from what happened? That's the same warped type of thinking knobheads have had about what happened with Benoit for years 

Fair enough if English isn't your first language but I don't think there's any decent way to suggest how a family who lost their father far too early should think about him after his passing, especially when it's based entirely on what job he happened to have

Didn’t dislike it because of the family. Felt extra terrible for them because wrestling is the devil to them now. I don’t blame them for it.

I would have hoped for his kids to be able to watch his matches and still feel proud. Again, I don’t blame them for not being able to.

Disliked the episode because of the scope the producers chose. You can’t cram the life and death of Owen Hart in 45 minutes. 

The Owen Hart Foundation did a lot of good  after his death. Would have learned more about it. Hope this clears it more up.

6 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Didn’t dislike it because of the family. Felt extra terrible for them because wrestling is the devil to them now. I don’t blame them for it.

I would have hoped for his kids to be able to watch his matches and still feel proud. Again, I don’t blame them for not being able to.

Disliked the episode because of the scope the producers chose. You can’t cram the life and death of Owen Hart in 45 minutes. 

The Owen Hart Foundation did a lot of good  after his death. Would have learned more about it. Hope this clears it more up.

Have a look here. I had no idea the scope of the foundation. Far more impressive than fake fights.

http://owenhartfoundation.org/index.html

It's interesting to me that two documentaries can leave me feeling so differently about a person.
In The Undertaker documentary I actually found myself liking Vince and feeling for him when he welled up when asked what The Undertaker meant to him.
I see this and his shitty attitude and his Trump-ian 'I don't appreciate your tone' attitude and go 'Wow, what a cunt'.
Humans are complex entities I guess.