Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Wasn't it Vince that told the story about meeting Bret in the park, and Bret just wanting to talk about Survivor Series?

Vince talked about it and tried to paint Bret out as only caring about himself and not wanting to talk about Owen. But Bret definitely talked about it as well. Think it was his second RF shoot interview. He said Vince asked to meet him in a public park because he was scared Bret was going to kill him if they met in private. Bret said he told Vince when they got there that he couldn’t talk about Owen because of the upcoming lawsuit and then ripped into Vince for Montreal.

Pretty sure he said they parted on decent terms that day because Vince agreed to let him have access to the WWF archives for his matches. But then it went sour again when he called and Vince’s lawyer said he didn’t recall that conversation happening. 

• Paid Members

I find the 'we all knew what it was like' argument really weak. It was over two decades ago. What we learned and processed when we were mostly in our teens and what we think and feel about it in hindsight are two different things.

It's used a lot as a response - "we all know, nothing changes - should have done something about it then if we really cared". We know about more shit that went on now, and we are hearing more voices than we heard then. Just look at years of WWE telling us Martha Hart's a money-grabbing bitch with a grudge.

Suggesting we can't rethink things as we learn and grow is some pretty weak justification.

Edited by Chris B

Poor Owen Hart and his family. Such tragedy.

Martha Hart had to fight for justice and sometimes things can get nasty. 

Vince said he was responsible and made sure they were taken care of. I can respect that.

If I ever die at work due to negligence, I doubt if my wife gets 18 million also.

Hated the episode btw.

4 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Poor Owen Hart and his family. Such tragedy.

Martha Hart had to fight for justice and sometimes things can get nasty. 

Vince said he was responsible and made sure they were taken care of. I can respect that.

If I ever die at work due to negligence, I doubt if my wife gets 18 million also.

Hated the episode btw.

How do you know? It would completely depend on the circumstances. 

I'm not sure how much Owen's contract was or how long it was for, but I think he signed a multi-year deal after the 1997 Survivor Series for around $400,000 per year downside. Could have easily made a couple of million for the remainder of his deal when you add in royalties, bonuses and so on. 

Also factor in emotional distress, the public nature of the tragedy and all that. 

Also, three years after Martha received her settlement, WWE got half of that back when the British company that made the harness (Lewmar Ltd.) paid $9m to settle a lawsuit out of court, though they accepted no responsibility for the actual incident.

Interesting news piece about that here.

I also think this one could have been a two-parter so that the legal proceedings and the fallout could have been examined more. 

18 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Because?

Little celebration or admiration for his wrestling legacy by his wife or kids. His daughter basically sees wrestling as the devil. 

Martha is a doctor and Oje is a human rights lawyer. Got the feeling they really look down upon their families pro wrestling legacy, even though they are Harts. Whole Hart family fell apart.

In comparison: David Benoit is probably standing in his fathers tights right now as I type this and rewatching and enjoying WrestleMania with a big grin on his face. 

Edited by LWOLeN

53 minutes ago, The Dart said:

What did we learn in this show that we haven't already known for the last 21 years?

That Vince sued her is pretty shitty. I didn’t know that. 

Also actually seeing and listening to her and his children talk about what it did to them is completely different to reading about it in newsletters and hearing wrestlers talk about it in interviews. 

8 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Little celebration for his wrestling legacy by his wife or kids. His daughter basically sees wrestling as the devil. 

Martha is a doctor and Oje is a human rights lawyer. Got the feeling they really look down upon their families pro wrestling legacy, even though they are Harts. 

In comparison: David Benoit is probably standing in his fathers tights right now as I type this and rewatching and enjoying WrestleMania with a big grin on his face.

What a bloody weird thing to post

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Little celebration or admiration for his wrestling legacy by his wife or kids. His daughter basically sees wrestling as the devil. 

Martha is a doctor and Oje is a human rights lawyer. Got the feeling they really look down upon their families pro wrestling legacy, even though they are Harts. Whole Hart family fell apart.

Yeah, they should really think about how their response to their father's easily-preventable death would affect people like you. 

Some people's sense of priorities is so screwed up, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Jees, i wonder why?

Like I said. Didn’t enjoy the episode. Wanted to see more of the Owen Hart foundation, his amazing matches and leave on a happier note. 

Owen Hart is a tremendous wrestler. I feel bad for his wife and kids. Would have hoped for them that they could be more proud of Owen Hart the pro wrestler, his amazing talent and mentally separate this from the accident.

Can’t blame them though. 

Edited by LWOLeN

5 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Like I said. Didn’t enjoy the episode. Wanted to see more of the Owen Hart foundation, his amazing matches and leave on a happier note. 

Owen Hart is a tremendous wrestler. I feel bad for his wife and kids. Would have hoped for them that they could be more proud of Owen Hart the pro wrestler, his amazing talent and mentally separate this from the accident.

Can’t blame them though. 

You do realise the series is called Dark Side Of The Ring, have you actually watched any episodes before

Edited by Kamaras-Tash