Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

I've just seen this poster from 1996, was Herb trying to come back in 96? When was the last UWF show?

No photo description available.

That show never happened, it was intended to be a TV special, but the money dried up. The actual last show was Blackjack Brawl in '94, also with a Sid/Dr Death main event - that match went to a DQ, and they announced a rematch in a Cage, but Sid signed with the WWF. I'm guessing this show was planned when Sid left, to try and deliver on that. 

Guerreros vs Powers of Pain sounds like it would have been a fun little match, too.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I hope at least some non wrestling fans are watching these. They're fantastic if you know the stuff but I think they're accessible, well made and interesting enough for the Netflix documentary type crowd too. They're certainly the highlight of the week for me, although that's no great compliment at the moment.

I've been watching most of these in the living room while the mrs was sat there and she's enjoyed most of them, despite generally thinking that wrestling is just ridiculous. I think most of them deliver a genuinely interesting story, especially the Benoit one.

That said, she does love murder documentaries, so if I stop posting on here for a while then you know my fate.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

the episodes that lean further into that Netflix "True Crime" format, or the "Tiger King" appeal of "look at this array of nutters", are always going to have more appeal to non-fans. Watching the Montreal Screwjob episode, when you consider that other episodes cover murder, abuse and all sorts, just makes Bret Hart and all of wrestling look like weird pathetic saddos for still caring that much about who wins a fake fight in contrast.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Fox Piss said:

I've just seen this poster from 1996, was Herb trying to come back in 96? When was the last UWF show?

No photo description available.

The special in the MGM grand was the last one. They only did about 20btapings all told over the 4 years and had to use women's wrestling tapes to fulfill their deal with Sportschannel America in 91.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Yeah, this was another really fun episode. I know very little about Abrams and the UWF so this was a nice little history lesson with some wild stories thrown in. It definitely sounds like it should be made into a miniseries or a film. 

Road Warriors next week and then Owen Hart the week after. Those will be pretty heavy, I'm sure. Hope they make a third series. 

Hopefully the Owen episode has the story from the local press in the UK when his wife was living here and his daughter cut her foot in a swimming pool and they had compo faces. 

Edited by PowerButchi