Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, theironshake said:

What I don't get is why it was so important to Stotssal to get the truth about pro wrestling. Why was it so important that some people thought it was real? 

He explained that in the show, he said he didn't like it that it's audience were being lied too. It was also the kind of expose reporter he was.

• Paid Members

If it had been about contracts or steroid abuse I'd get it. But how many people really believed they were watching a legit sporting event with a Native American fighting an Iranian Sheik. He got what he deserved and Shultz was treated appallingly on my opinion

• Paid Members

That was immensely entertaining. It helps that Schultz is a great story-teller - and clearly a bullshitter at times, but that just adds to it. What a character.

"Hogan hated it when I talked about his big ol' head" had me almost in tears laughing.

Aye Stossel came across as a proper, proper tit. I don't know a thing about the guy if i'm honest but giving wrestling the same treatment as Watergate with his I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE BEING LIED TO just seemed like trying to justify what he saw as going down to wrestlings level and trying to do some made up 'honest' job. Getting his arse kicked and humiliated as if he was going after a kids magic show rather than a caravan of murderers who've quelled their urges with free presription drugs and weights, though? Amazing

Edited by Cannibal Man

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, theironshake said:

If it had been about contracts or steroid abuse I'd get it. But how many people really believed they were watching a legit sporting event 

different times but I can't fathom how anyone over the age of 8 ever believed it might actually be real.

I also love kayfabe'd stories (Schultz dropped one himself in the show) about wrestlers claiming they didnt know it was a work until they were 'smartened up' half way through a training camp, how is that even possible😄

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I also love kayfabe'd stories (Schultz dropped one himself in the show) about wrestlers claiming they didnt know it was a work until they were 'smartened up' half way through a training camp, how is that even possible😄

I can believe that to some extent back then. Schultz version likely exaggerated, but starting out shoot wrestling and weeding those out not cut out for the physicality of it all isn't particularly unusual, so as not to expose the business to some who wouldn't become a part of it. Wrestlers were expected to be able to legit handle themselves on some level back then too, again for the sake of 'protecting the business'.

Loved this episode. Really enjoyed everything i'd seen of Dr D previously, was dubious when this episode was announced that there'd really be much of a story for a full episode, but i could happily watch a series just following Old Man Schultz around listening to his stories.