Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Cornette's one of those weirdos that refuses to develop as a person on any front. So I imagine he read Jimmy Snuka as "snooker" in a newsletter back in the 70s, and instead of correcting himself continued to call him "Jimmy Snooker." Like if I decided to go around calling the Wales manager "Ryan Greggs" because Actua Soccer didnt have the rights to real names.

• Moderators

Every time I see or hear Jimmy Snuka's name, I have a very specific flashback to RE class as a 13 year old, seeing another class's books sat on the teacher's desk. Most of them had doodles on; football teams, people they fancied from soaps; but I vididly remember the one on the top.

"SUPERFLY" JIMMY SNOOKER, it said, adorned with a drawing of a snooker cue and some balls, all coloured in. I'll never know if this was clever satire, playing on the shiny foil 'logo' stickers from the WWF albums at the time, or if the kid was merely thick as shit.

• Paid Members
On 4/15/2020 at 2:13 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Al himself has gone on record and said the best match is the match most people pay to see.
So, for instance, he says that the best match at Mania III was Hogan/Andre, not Savage/Steamboat because more people paid to see Hogan/Andre.

By that rationale I could only say that maybe ECW Wrestlepalooza 98 Al had 'the best match'.

I think @IANdrewDiceClay beat you too it and put it to Al directly that the miserable fuck had, by his own ruling, therefore never had a good match.

• Paid Members

Conrad's Dark Side of the Podcast companion pieces with the shows producers to each episode are worth a listen👍🏻

Looking forward to the Bravo one, that story has always fascinated me.

Chummy Conrad having a finger in every wrestling pie going these days is a little too much for me. It won't be long before the next spate of wrestler deaths come with a set of Wake With Conrad and Buried With Conrad podcasts. 

• Paid Members

I gave up on everything Conrad associated a while back. Never minded him at the start but he’s got more and more irritating and overbearing for me. I know Bruce can be a talking in riddles twat but Conrad somehow comes off worse most of the time for me and the last time I was listening, the whole thing seems to have descended into a long winded version of...

Conrad: Let me ask you about this gossip I read from Meltzer.

Bruce: I’ve got no recollection of that.

Conrad: Oh yeah of course you don’t. Well Dave says___and then Dave continued____so Dave concludes that_____. You telling me that’s all rumour and innuendo? 

Bruce: I’m saying I don’t recall anything like that happening. 

Conrad: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO FUCKING DIFFICULT?

Every. Bastard. Time.

The final straw for me was that “telegram, telephone, tell a wrestler” thing he shoehorns into almost every third sentence. A minor thing but I wanted to punch him in the tits every time I heard it. Him and Jim Ross together on their podcast sounds like a living hell. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I watched the Snuka episode last night and it felt like they were saying just little enough to notget WWE lawyers on their backs. Another weak show.

Is the book by Irvin Muchnick worth a read? I heard Cornette was pissed that he wasn't given much time to speak in the show or the podcast after.

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I gave up on everything Conrad associated a while back. Never minded him at the start but he’s got more and more irritating and overbearing for me. I know Bruce can be a talking in riddles twat but Conrad somehow comes off worse most of the time for me and the last time I was listening, the whole thing seems to have descended into a long winded version of...

Conrad: Let me ask you about this gossip I read from Meltzer.

Bruce: I’ve got no recollection of that.

Conrad: Oh yeah of course you don’t. Well Dave says___and then Dave continued____so Dave concludes that_____. You telling me that’s all rumour and innuendo? 

Bruce: I’m saying I don’t recall anything like that happening. 

Conrad: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO FUCKING DIFFICULT?

Every. Bastard. Time.

The final straw for me was that “telegram, telephone, tell a wrestler” thing he shoehorns into almost every third sentence. A minor thing but I wanted to punch him in the tits every time I heard it. Him and Jim Ross together on their podcast sounds like a living hell. 

He's like an obese petulant 12 year old who's just found out the cake shop has shut. Irritating bastard and so fucking thick.

I liked some of the early pods with Bruce before Conrad got all confident and started thinking he's one of the boys. He's unbearable these days.

Problem for me with the Conrad shows with me all fall under a few points. First, all the stuff being discussed is their day job in reality. I remember very little of my day job, so I kinda assume that a lot of what’s said is made up or a lotta gaps filled in as they go along. His childish reaction to people not remembering the most tedious things isnt fun listening: it only increased as he got more and more thinking he’s one of the boys and a star himself. Second is now they are so many shows deep, too much was being repeated, and shows kept getting longer and longer. So much irrelevant info could be cut and shows wouldn’t miss it. I don’t need a run though of every tv before an event or what meltzer had to say word for word.  In the end I have given up on them all. 

• Paid Members

I'm not quite at the giving up stage yet, but am definitely being more choosy with what Conrad episodes I'll listen to, and have to be in the mood. The quality was always going to drop off when Prichard returned to the WWE, though, and am amazed he's still bothering with it tbh.

The Jim Ross show is so much better than it has any right to be really and is much more enjoyable than Prichards' as he tends to be more open and free to slate the McMahons etc without fear of recrimination.

There is no chance, especially with not making any long journeys in the car right now, that I can listen to even a quarter of the podcasts I have saved up so will listen to whatever covers a topic/time period that I'm into and ignore obscure PPVs or wrestlers that are a bit too modern for my tastes (which terrifyingly is anything within the last 18 years pretty much :/ ).

Edited by garynysmon