Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Why? I think he, like Jericho claims about himself in his book, probably suspected foul play having known Benoit better than many, so he avoided saying something he would be haunted by afterwards. If anything I think his contribution is less surprising now than it was at the time.

Yeah I think the fact everyone immediately thought it was an innocent tragedy and gushed over him, but Regal was tactful in his response. I mean people like Chavo obviously knew him well outside the ring but Chavo still paid an emotional tribute. I think the whole affair was sad. And while JR is a cunt on here, I thought what he said about Benoit being inducted in the HoF was spot on

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

On 4/13/2020 at 9:10 PM, IronSheik said:

He's a polarising figure but I think it would doing a dis-service to say Jim Cornette didn't positively influence the careers of your Chris Jerichos and your Lance Storms and your Al Snows and your Randy Ortons and your John Cenas and your Brock Lesners and your Glen Jacob's and your Tyler Blacks and so on. I think most of the above would put him over as a big influence in their early development.

Oh yeah, the massive draw that is Al Snow. Someone should ask him which show he was the best match on

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

And I bet Doug and Danny Basham were made up that they were, to be Frank. 

If you're going to work as a feeder territory its what happens. If he was so angry about it he shouldn't have taken WWE's cheques (which were probably bigger than his gate receipts over the period) to use a promotion he had points in as a developmental promotion. 

Yes. I remembered hearing this story on one of Cornette's YouShoots and much like many of his stories, it really underlines the appeal of Cornette. He's almost always talking out of his arse but he talks out of his arse in such an entertaining way that I can't help but keep going back to his shoots and podcasts regularly. He's a brilliant talker but he hasn't been good at anything else for donkey's years.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah I think the fact every immediately thought it was an innocent tragedy and gushed over him, but Regal was tactful in his response. I mean people like Chavo obviously knew him well outside the ring but Chavo still paid an emotional tribute. I think the whole affair was sad. And while JR is a cunt on here, I thought what he said about Benoit being inducted in the HoF was spot on

This is Eastwood worthy. 

When Regal did his pretape they saw the ICEBERG. Bradshaw sensibly said "he killed his kid" then as the show ran it came out he did. Regal was his neighbour and a Bezzie. He knew better than anyone what Benoit was like. When Dave Taylor is going to clean up with a ham in his hand yiu think that won't get back to Regal? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I listened to some of Kevin Sullivan on Cornette’s podcast earlier. Doesn’t break much new ground but I found it fairly interesting. I’d never heard the conspiracy theory about the Japanese Mafia supposedly having him whacked. That’s some Billy Jack Haynes level shit. 

The people in denial still over the whole thing are so ridiculous. They’d rather believe Sullivan was biding his time for 10 years before taking revenge against Benoit for stealing his missus, even though Sullivan and Nancy had already been separated for months at that point anyway. That plus it’s known that Nancy and Daniel died first. So he’d have had to kill them while somehow keeping Chris at bay, then stay in the house for 2 more days before offing Chris. That’s a lot of tasks to master. 

It’s tinfoil twats who refuse to believe the ‘official story’ no matter how logical it is, with a big side helping of workrate wanker wrestling fans. Because you just know if it was someone like say Gene Snitsky who spent a weekend killing his family, he’d have zero defenders, there’d be no conspiracy theories and no blaming Satanist Kevin. It’s amazing how much leeway a nice snap suplex will get you. 

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Oh yeah, the massive draw that is Al Snow. Someone should ask him which show he was the best match on

There was that match he had with Benoit at ECW Double Tables...

I think Al also had a mini-run in Herman’s OVW where he had some cracking matches against ... I want to say Johnny Jeter or Ken Doane. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

There was that match he had with Benoit at ECW Double Tables...

I think Al also had a mini-run in Herman’s OVW where he had some cracking matches against ... I want to say Johnny Jeter or Ken Doane. 

Yeah but what did they draw, brother! A match is only good if it draws, according to Al. So he thinks Ali vs Inoki was an all-time great match. 

Who on here is responsible for this, by the way? Ian? 

436E24DA-9899-44FA-BA9B-A2EA2D7FBCC8.jpeg

The Snuka one is an interesting watch but Vince McMahon's involvement doesn't get enough coverage. It was a quick minute of that then move on - no scandal about how the biggest promoter in wrestling history acted. I guess too many wouldn't want to burn the bridges there.

Feel there was actually a lot missing, I don't think there was much of a story or people willing to talk to fill out the 45 mins or hour, whatever it is. I don't personally know what was missing but the episode just didn't seem to have much content.