Vice: Dark Side of the Ring

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Grecian said:

I think part of it is that Bret came back. If his brother can forgive WWE, go into the HoF and make appearances, why won't his grieving widow? 

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? The logic of it. A wrestler being tricked to lose a fake fight so he can go and make $3 million a year somewhere else is on the same level as a man being dropped from the roof to his death and his family having to go on without him. Just get over it, Martha. Forgive and forget. We need to chant ‘YOU DESERVE IT’ at the HOF. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? The logic of it. A wrestler being tricked to lose a fake fight so he can go and make $3 million a year somewhere else is on the same level as a man being dropped from the roof to his death and his family having to go on without him. Just get over it, Martha. Forgive and forget. We need to chant ‘YOU DESERVE IT’ at the HOF. 

I think Owen might have been Bret's brother. I'm not sure but I watched the documentary and it hinted at it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I think Owen might have been Bret's brother. I'm not sure but I watched the documentary and it hinted at it.

Of course but back before Bret came back to do that DVD in 2005 (I think?), the Montreal thing seemed like just as big a talking point as an obstacle to him coming back as Owen’s death was. Sounds mad but I remember Bret even saying in one of his shoot interviews that he met Vince in some park right before/after Owen’s funeral and grilled Vince on why he screwed him at Survivor Series. Vince was a cunt for going on that Michael Lansberg show after and saying Bret was an emotionless skeleton or whatever but I still found it odd how Bret would still be thinking about Montreal at that point. Not saying he wasn’t devastated about Owen but Montreal was still always a massive part of why he hated the WWF for years wasn’t it?

37 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

I havent watched WWE in years now but I'm not sure how anyone could continue to give them money after watching this show. 

As difficult as it was to watch, it's not like the majority of us haven't known this stuff since it happened.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I did love the unintentional juxtaposition of Owen's family deriding the HOF as utterly worthless, and JR introducing himself, not as former commentator for the WWF, but by reeling off a list of all the stupid wrestling Hall of Fames he's a part of. 

"It was the worst time in my wrestling career. Maybe even my life." - recent widow, James Ross.

29 minutes ago, Winston said:

Have to say one part I didn’t like was Cornette’s attempt to cry / show emotion.

Weird guy.

Not sure that's totally fair really, Cornette might be horrific arsehole, the worst sort of Bill Maher style right wing pretend liberal but, well, he's never been the unemotional type.

• Paid Members

I thought Vice did a tremendous job letting Martha and her kids say their bit. I suspected it was going for the throat when WWE and their lawyer released that shitty statement a few days ago.

I guess one of the more heartbreaking subplots out of this is a chunk of the Hart family actively being mental and siding against Martha and, effectively, her kids and their brother; if ever you needed a pure example of what sort of pond life inhabits wrestling, then this is it. Anyone got the dirt on the names that were trying to hurt Martha? ( @IANdrewDiceClay is usually the source for Hart family dirt).

It was hard to swallow then and even more so now, but Vince giving it "the human being comes first" on The Undertaker docuseries should forever be sneered at. A thin skinned weirdo with the moral compass of Tom Norman.

I agree there is a lot more meat on the bone for this, so could have easily made it a two part and went into greater detail, as grim as it will be.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Of course but back before Bret came back to do that DVD in 2005 (I think?), the Montreal thing seemed like just as big a talking point as an obstacle to him coming back as Owen’s death was. Sounds mad but I remember Bret even saying in one of his shoot interviews that he met Vince in some park right before/after Owen’s funeral and grilled Vince on why he screwed him at Survivor Series. Vince was a cunt for going on that Michael Lansberg show after and saying Bret was an emotionless skeleton or whatever but I still found it odd how Bret would still be thinking about Montreal at that point. Not saying he wasn’t devastated about Owen but Montreal was still always a massive part of why he hated the WWF for years wasn’t it?

Wasn't it Vince that told the story about meeting Bret in the park, and Bret just wanting to talk about Survivor Series?

• Paid Members
Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Anyone got the dirt on the names that were trying to hurt Martha? ( @IANdrewDiceClay is usually the source for Hart family dirt).

The three main ones were Natalya's mother, Diana and Bruce. Diana was desperate to be a star on WWF TV (lol), Bruce wanted Stampede to be a WWF developmental territory and Ellie wanted her husband to get a job with the WWF (which he did as a trainer.) So they sold themselves out for personal gain and as soon as Vince was done with them, he cut ties on the lot. Serves them right. They even dragged Stu Hart out on Raw in 2001, while Helen Hart was ill, just to keep up appearances (and Vince decided to do a Montreal screwjob angle with Benoit in front of him.)

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

I havent watched WWE in years now but I'm not sure how anyone could continue to give them money after watching this show. 

What did we learn in this show that we haven't already known for the last 21 years?

10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Wasn't it Vince that told the story about meeting Bret in the park, and Bret just wanting to talk about Survivor Series?

Yeah that was slanted to make Bret sound bad [unsurprisingly].
Bret has said that he told Vince at the meeting in the park that there was likely a lawsuit coming and that he couldn't talk about what happened with Owen, legally.
I think the narrative of 'Bret/Martha weren't interested in finding out what happened and only wanted money' that WWE/McDevitt put out is BS.
Yes, Bret has a big ego but of all the people who WOULD want to know and would want WWE to be accountable it's those two.
Also, I think at the funeral of your brother you would want to know why someone you thought of so highly for so many years had lied to you etc.
If any time is time for introspection it's a funeral in my opinion.
Besides, as Martha said on Talk is Jericho - there was no other legal recourse. Nobody was going to go to jail for what happened. Money was the only 'justice' she was going to get.