Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

• Paid Members

I thoroughly enjoyed the funhouse. Which is weird as I wasn't a massive fan of the boneyard. Might need to rewatch it. 

I particularly popped for bray singing the Bella's music and Cena roleplaying as heel Hogan. 

if the next stage of WWE is Full Sail Grad David Lynch with "symbolism" and Sons of Sons of Anarchy then it's a hard pass from me. As one-offs they might be a creative and amusing distraction (I didn't like them) but wrestling is a live art. If I want filmed fight scenes then I'll watch films.

That said Edge-Orton was so bad that it became the Kafka-esque nightmare than Wyatt was shooting for. Benoit Suicide references? My god. Axioms of taste destroyed.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Winston said:

Glad Drew got his 'moment'.

I read that elsewhere this morning. I've seen the finish. It couldn't be less of a moment. It's like watching a doco on the guys training.

This being the culmination of the weekend, they should have had everyone possible dotted around the place. Just to generate that feeling of it being must see and some noise at the finish.

I had to go watch the Funhouse in full after reading the reviews. One of the strangest things I've ever seen. It was well done, don't get me wrong, but couldn't be any further from what wrestling is supposed to be. So for that reason, I don't love it but it definitely has its moment.

Finished watching it this morning. I'm rather glad im in isolation as trying to explain the funhouse to a non wrestling person would be hard. It was great fun but to have the Funhouse longer than both championship matches combined kind fo takes away the importance the title matches. 

Less said about the LMS the better but i was pleasantly surprised with Lynch/Basler. I would have had Basler go nuts after and choke Becky out to get the rematch 

What a strange weekend. Clearly this either does something for your self isolation woes or it doesn't. Whilst the latter is more than understandable, I'd count myself in the former. With that in mind, I just don't have it in me to shit on anything they've done here. I'm glad it happened and had heaps of weird fun watching Goldberg, the Boneyard, the Funhouse and even Edge/Orton - which whilst way too long I thought was physical as hell and a good clean edit counterpoint to the wacky matches. Orton matches are boring and Edge's always been a gimmick guy anyway so both of them done well, considering. An in ring between them at 'Mania probably could have died on its arse way more. 

I was prepared for the lack of crowd, what I wan't prepared for was how ordinary everything else was. That's the only real disappointment from this, for me. WWE have a universe to play around with and plenty they can do with their production even with a dozen people on the floor. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't get it together to have the sort of dead clever stuff I know they could probably do but am too unimaginative to suggest myself. I wasn't joking when I said in the Discord chat I was half expecting a sort of semi holograph pirate ship for the entrance stage. Loads of different smoke and light atmospheres. A different tone for each match. Video inserts in between all the matches featuring isolation skits, stars from the past cutting promos telling you to wash your hands. Where the fuck was that? A little motivational satellite feed from nutty Uncle Vince just to make it feel important through their own self importance. That's the most obvious shit ever to pull on a show like this. So much they could have done without breaking a sweat. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There's a theory going round that different people like different things.

Very true Malcolm. I had just expected to go online and be met with a lot of negativity because it was so out of the box, instead it was the opposite.

HHH hinted on ESPN last week that the WWE did some stuff over Mania weekend that they'll probably continue doing going forward, im guessing he referencing the Boneyard and Fun House matches so chances are there'll be more of it.

• Awards Moderator

I loved the Boneyard on Night 1 but didn't care for the Funhouse in the slightest! I appreciated how mad and unpredictable the whole thing was, but that wasn't for me at all.

I had it on in the background so probably tuned out some of the boring parts but I actually quite enjoyed the Orton-Edge match even if it was an hour longer than it should have been. I compared Braun-Goldberg to a SmackDown finisher spam game - well, this was the Falls Count Anywhere on SmackDown 2 where you went into the kitchen and the dressing room and half the fun was deciding which backstage area to go to next. And for that, I liked it.

Everything else, yes, it was fine but it could all have been so much better had people been there. The opening moments of Drew-Lesnar, Otis getting the girl, all I could do was imagine the reactions they might have got. Such a shame for the performers not to get that.

I could still hear the groan of deflation from the non-audience when Charlotte won though.

Overall, that was a weird WrestleMania. I wonder what their angle will be on it with how they talk about it in the future.

1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Overall, that was a weird WrestleMania. I wonder what their angle will be on it with how they talk about it in the future.

It won't focus on the performers as such, there'll be a ton of WWE patting themselves on the back as a company, pushing forward and putting smiles on faces during the pandemic. Oh, and Stephanie will take full credit for the concept, cinematography and fight scene coordination of the Boneyard and Funhouse matches. Unless people turn on those matches, then it was all Heyman.

• Paid Members

Pretty much a one match show, this. Outside of Otis goofing it up, there was absolutely nothing of note; incredibly dull. Even Drew's big win felt like a paint-by-numbers 'Lesnar is putting a big lad over' match - they also pretty much did the same match with Goldberg.

The Funhouse match, while definitely a level below the Oscar-nominated Boneyard Match, was indeed "such good shit". Fair play to Big Match John, I think he only took one bump for his big 'Mania payday. I've never enjoyed dream/nightmare sequences in films or telly shows, but at least you got a few laughs out of this. Ruthless Aggression Cena and NWO Cena were incredible - for those wondering why NWO, I thought that was to do with Cena trying to cave Bray's skull in with the chair, so in this nightmare this was Cena turning heel.

As much as the Funhouse was a laugh, it couldn't possibly save the rest of this show. Bore after bore. I got a lot of work done during Orton v Edge, which says a lot.

Still, Scotland are world champions.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I doubt it'll ever feature heavily in video packages etc, but it'll definitely be referred back to as WWE being the last bastion of entertainment pulling the nation - nay, the world - up by its bootstraps in its darkest hour. Akin to how they talk about that first Smackdown after 9/11.

Agreed with @Gay as FOOK that they did disappointingly little production wise on the 'normal' stuff. I actually think they used those augmented reality graphics less often than they do on a typical episode of Smackdown. Guessing they were kind of limited by who they could get to work on stuff, but there are so many things I've seen in theatre/movies that they could have nicked in different circumstances. Probably got some "back to basics" edict from Vince, too.

Edited by Statto
Typo.