Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

13 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Personally I think there are enough ways to protect the Undertaker, be it tag matches etc, I'd rather his swansong took place in front of an audience at least.

He absolutely deserves to go out in a big match in front of a big crowd, but the Boneyard Match would the way to do it for me now that I've seen it. 

We've seen so many times over the last few years that 'Taker can stink it up in the ring if the opponent or circumstances aren't right. This time he got to look like an absolute badass, had a 'match' that fans loved and got to ride off into the sunset at the end of it. Or sunrise, even. 

Have this be the last one and then do what people have suggested for a while: put him in the Hall of Fame next year and have him be the only entrant. Get people from his career to speak about him and honour him and then have Vince be the one to finally induct him on the night. 

I think the Firefly Fun House is genuinely one of the strangest bits of telly ever broadcast.

A dream sequence featuring awkward re-enactments of moments from the on-screen life of WWE superstar John Cena, with numerous references that could only make sense to extremely hardcore wrestling fans, that's supposed to exist in the same universe as ultra-legit athlete Brock Lesnar's super serious title defence moments later. I watched Lesnar/McIntyre in a complete daze because my suspension of disbelief was so broken. I couldn't think of anything other than - why are these men pretending to fight eachother? Why don't they make a film together instead like the last pair?

I am completely floored that anyone would broadcast something so self-referential. I can't think of any other examples in any media. It was proper meta-meta-meta camera turned in on itself post modern madness, but with... John Cena's wrestling career as the subject matter? Why does it exist?

It's not so much that I wasn't entertained, as it made me never want to watch wrestling or any other form of fiction ever again. Six stars from me.

I've kept thinking about that match all afternoon, and I don't know how much of it was actually that meta?

It started with a young impressionable rookie trying to get ahead.

Then we got the smart-mouthed bully whose promo gimmick was talking in rhymes.

Becoming The Man with the gimmick selling a ton of merch, a superhero good guy.

Then a what-if scenario of what could have happened if John had given in to the dark side (that Bray insists he has, despite Cena never going there), with the NWO symbolising him becoming the enemy of WWE, Cena's whole 'universe'.

Intercut with a sequence where gym superman and super-recoverer Cena trains so hard he can't physically fight any more.

The wink-wink stuff was in the details not the story, I think.

Just finished Night 2, it was good just not as good as Saturday, overall I’d give it a 7 or 8/10

The Good

Boneyard Match

Firefly Funhouse ‘match’

SD Ladder match

Rhea v Charlotte

Rollins v Owens

Lynch v Baszler

Otis getting the girl

Drew winning the big one

The OK

Street Profits v Garza/Theory

Black v Lashley

Zayn v Bryan

Women’s Tag Title match

Gulak v Cesaro (Day 1 Preshow)

The Bad

Both world title matches being finisher fests and 5 mins or less

SD Women’s Title match

Edge v Orton (should never have gone 36 mins)

Liv v Natalya (Day 2 Preshow)

Elias v Corbin

The 24/7 title bollocks with Mojo, Truth and Gronk

Otis v Ziggler (before the moment with Mandy)

HATED the FFH 'match'. Loved the Boneyard stuff as it at least resembled a fight but FFH was just a series of lame skits. Only thing I liked was 'It's such good shit'. Apart from that, HATED it with a passion. If THAT is what WWE are planning on doing more of going forward, then count me out. 

Agree with the comment you could feel the groan from the non-existent fans when Charlotte won. 

I actually didnt mind the Last Man Standing - although I did have it on as background while I was doing other stuff so didn't really watch it intently.
I was shocked they did the choking spot with the weight machine though. Had there not been all the recent publicity surrounding Benoit again it might just have been acceptable in a 'It was 13 year ago' kind of way [and I emphasise 'might'] but it was just uncomfortable. 

Also, yes, put Mania on over 2 nights! It's way more tolerable. 

When I came here on Sunday morning, I held off posting about how much I hated the Boneyard match because I didn't want to be a black cloud when everyone seemed so positive. To me, though, it felt like the epitome of why we're sometimes embarrassed to be wrestling fans. If someone who doesn't like wrestling caught me watching that, I'd be mortified. So I watched it and it filled me with dread for what the Firefly Funhouse match would be. What a hugely pleasant surprise that was though.

On paper, it's a lot of things I hate in seeing in wrestling. Supernatural nonsense drives me nuts. When Undertaker showed up behind AJ on the digger just 24 hours earlier, it annoyed the living shit out of me. But this was just so wildly ambitious and meta and crazy and different. It was like they hired David Lynch to produce the segment. And I think it felt okay because it was so detached from normal wrestling. Obviously wrestling requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but there's a certain framework we base that on and a limit to how much it can be stretched. Undertaker and AJ are fake fighting fighting in a graveyard? I'll allow it. Undertaker magically teleports? A bit far for me. The Funhouse match, though, just wasn't a wrestling match at all. It was a vignette. And as insane and weird as it was, I can see a way out of it where they just act as if it was an effective promo; Bray Wyatt making a convincing case against John Cena, causing a bit of a dark night of the soul moment for John and leading to another, more typical match. That's somehow easier for me to square than The Undertaker winning a fight using magic and burying AJ alive. Who knows though? Different strokes for different folks and all that. Either way, it was an unexpected and unusual delight.

• Paid Members

I agree the last man standing match dragged but at least when they were backstage away from the dead arena part it was one of the few matches that wasn't completely killed by the lack of crowd. Wish it had only gone 12 minutes or something.

That  little 18 inch drop Edge did to hit the elbow from hanging on the office ceiling onto Randy on the desk was hilarious.

I reckon in front of a crowd, that Charlotte Flair vs Rhea Ripley match would've been one of the best women's matches they've ever done. Charlotte was on top form working the leg with a focus we rarely see anymore, like Bret Hart with a personality. Ripley, fair fucks to her, put in a good shift as the up-and-comer who hasn't had many setbacks yet and got herself into this without realising how unprepared she was for that level of competition. Great foundation for character growth and a rematch down the road where Rhea has leveled up enough to avenge this loss and best the Queen. 

After a year spinning her wheels on Raw, a move to NXT with a bunch of fresh matchups seems a solid move for Charlotte as well.

Loved the Firefly match. Been figuring out where the disconnect is for that and the Boneyard for me, and I think the Boneyard just comes across even more so as an old sad bastards Sons Of Anarchy wank fantasy in the wake of that. You've got two genuine greats, a guy who never breaks noted for being able turn shit into gold and the best he could do is a fight in a garden in an attempt to keep everything he can about himself his idea of cool. It was what it was always going to be, and it's fine, whatever. I could have told myself what it was before it happened and nailed about 99% of the details. Could never have done that with what I saw in the Funhouse match, lads. It was fucking brilliant.

Big Taker fan and him being the Biker Badass was great then and suits him well now.

Going forward I'd use him a Ghost Rider type deal, ride in on his bike and slap around a mouthy heel and put them in there place, doesn't always need to be a match just a ride in, a move, ride off.

I think that would be perfect for him, crowds still wanna see him but his "dead taker" entrance has been done to death (no pun intended) and this will keep him fresh a few years.

His new series on the network looks really good and with go really in-depth on the real him (first look on network now)

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

After a year spinning her wheels on Raw, a move to NXT with a bunch of fresh matchups seems a solid move for Charlotte as well.

I suspect they see a Charlotte run on NXT as a ratings winner, but in reality I suspect it'll prove otherwise for many of the Wednesday night die hards.