Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

5 hours ago, garynysmon said:

A sentiment that's echoed on here, both directly and indirectly, is the obsession with shoehorning every single roster member onto the card. It just brings down the overall standard and tacks on filler matches that no-one is frothing at the mouth to see.

I can't fathom why they are on intent on following through with this when the roster is so big. In years gone by, even when the roster was much leaner, there were always a couple of upper mid carders that were left out.

They still leave people off. Jeff Hardy wasn’t on this show, though he’d maybe have been in the battle royal if it was normal service. Kevin Owens wasn’t on WrestleMania at all last year, same for Samoa Joe a year or two before that. 

The annoying thing for me is that the battle royal gives them a way to get everyone onto the show without needing filler matches for loads of them.

• Paid Members

This was the first Wrestlemania I have watched in real time for a number of years and it has taken me a few re-watches to arrive at an opinion of any kind. 

Initially, given what's currently going on in the world, I wasn't really invested at all in what was going on. As much as the show went on in order to offer fans escapism (and I tuned in for that purpose) during tough times for everyone I was very much thinking "none of this matters." I think given the current climate I'd have been as detached had there been 90,000 fans in a stadium. It just didn't feel right.

Then I was drawn to the two "cinematic" events, The Boneyard match and the FFFH. For me they were both frustrating - not in terms of production, realism or outcome - just in terms of what COULD be. Typical selfish fan thinking things could be done better I suppose but the possibilities for depth of characters, environments and story arcs is intriguing. Would it be handled well? Probably not. Would it be done to death? Probably. I was reminded of Brock's training for his UFC debut and it was brutal. He looked a legit killer. For all the time he spends off TV would it be terrible to have extended scenes of him in that crappy gym environment doing things few others can? BT's 90 second vignette of Drew had the same gritty feel. Done in moderation for the right storyline I think these could be a way of really be doing the sport/entertainment scripted gap.

The heavyweight titles? I'm struggling to remember the last time there was a decent, meaningful match that I'd watch again save for the Brock/Goldberg mini-series a few years ago. Not sure if it's down to those two being involved in the separate matches but giving away the "right" results with no meaningful effort, irrespective of the limitations, lack of audience put me off a bit. Especially when it will be difficult to elevate or attach meaning to Drew and Braun in empty arenas for the foreseeable. 

Lastly, (yes my waffling is nearly over) whatever happened to John Cena? It struck me that on the bits I have seen in the last year or two, he's not featured heavily at all. He's always had incredible matches in his locker and watching the matches that were on, few stood out as having that charisma/next gear. 

Overall a very strange few days. Interesting to see the reactions in the aftermath though but not sure, from my own point of view, if they'll stand up to scrutiny in the months and years to come.

• Paid Members

I presume Cena can't do proper matches at the moment as his movie producer backers don't want to risk anything happening to him. 

16 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

That Taker thing after confirmed he's a Blue Lives Matter nonce so I hope he drives his bike off an embankment, the old cunt

He's a total hypocrite! It wasn't that long ago he was filmed stealing a police bike!

So in the end, after adding the pre show, the 24/7 ‘matches’ and the post show nonsense, they taped 21 matches (even without the 24/7 it’s still 19) for the entire Mania weekend making it the longest match card in WrestleMania history, beating last year, WM 4 and 18 which all had 16 (18 is padded out by 4 additional Hardcore title mini matches to the advertised one)