Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

It may have been said, I've not read the last 5 pages but my biggest problem with the Edge/Orton was Tom and Byron commentating as if they were in a library. 

I don't really like Cole but at least he wants to sound enthusiastic. Never heard commentary as dull and dreary as that match, was like watching the snooker. 

• Paid Members

Strowman and Goldberg might not have been getting paid by the hour, but Orton and Edge certainly were. So much filler on night 2 compared to night 1.

A good few matches would have come across as better with a live crowd in attendance. 

Re the finish of the ladder match, a friend and I were theorising how interesting it could have been if Kofi and Morrison ended up with a belt each and were forced to be tag team champs. They're trying to upstage each other like early doors Sheamus/Cesaro and you've got Miz occasionally trying to cost them the titles so he can reunite with JoMo, but inadvertently helping them retain. Over time they gel more and have a decent run, culminating in a match against Big E and Woods. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

In hindsight, I'm glad they didn't postpone wrestlemania as I'm not sure we'll ever get anything like the boneyard or FFFH matches again. Must say I'm pretty surprised that no love has been shown for this which aired on the pre show.

https://youtu.be/ZUkAuoNx4zo

I’m surprised anyone watched the pre show tbh

• Paid Members

I thought Tamina was Nia Jax when I saw the preview graphic. She's bloody awful. Makes Nia look like Gail Kim by comparison. 

I enjoyed Edge/Orton mostly after watching his documentary and just being genuinely happy for the guy being out there doing what he loves. I was really invested in it on a personal level, although admittedly it probably doesn't hold up as a match in general.

I also loved the Firefly Fun House. That's exactly what Wyatt needs to be doing. And it was a really entertaining trip down memory lane for both guys. I'm just a real sucker for anything that delves deep into the history of the company and its wrestlers. There aren't many TV shows or sports where you can follow someone actively for so long.

Other than the fact that the main event of Wrestlemania should not be a fucking five minute finisher fest, I thought they a very good job with a very surreal situation this year. We've come out with two very fresh champions in Strowman and McIntyre for whenever things get back to normal.

Night 2 wasn't on the level of night 1 but the right guys won the main three matches. Charlotte and Rhea put on a cracking opener. Lashley/Black and Otis/Ziggler were fine and then the Last Man Standing match was exactly what I wanted from the match but just a bit too long and the commentators were cack. There were enough good moments in therefor me to like it though.  Nobody cared about the Street Profits match and the SD womens match was okay.

The Firefly Funhouse though. Batshit crazy. I preferred the Boneyard match just because it was more of an actual match, but it gave Wyatt and Cena proper layers and seldom do we ever get such continuity and storytelling in WWE. I'd love a pair of Fiend/Undertaker Boneyard and Funhouse matches. Can you imagine Fiend taking Taker through his entire 30 year career? I hope we see something like this again every once in a while. 

Then when it comes to the main, I'm sick of these Brock main events but then I do also expect them really so I'm made up for McIntyre. It took a while but we've finally got a WWE Champion from these shores.

10 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Then when it comes to the main, I'm sick of these Brock main events but then I do also expect them really so I'm made up for McIntyre. It took a while but we've finally got a WWE Champion from these shores.

A British World champ now and when he loses he's Scottish - that's how it works. ;)

• Paid Members

someone pointed out that Finn Balor reverted to more of his Prince Devitt schtick after losing to The Fiend, and Daniel Bryan much more explicitly stepped back into a former look and gimmick, and suggested that while we only saw them having a standard wrestling match with the Fiend, to them they went through the same career regression nightmare that John Cena did here, the Firefly Funhouse is just the first time we've been able to see it. That's all a bit wanky, but I like the sentiment. 

It would be a bit too "only Hogan can see Warrior in the mirror, but so can the audience", but it would have been interesting if when it cut back to the announcers they just acted like it had been a perfectly ordinary match that they saw.

A last man standing match without fans was always going to be shit. They'd have been much better off with a falls count anywhere match. Plus Edge has nearly always been a bit crap. 

I actually don't think the NXT title match would have been as good in front of a Weestlemania audience. I think that crowd would have got bored of the leg work pretty quickly. Was a cracking match. 

They had two Heyman finisher fests on these shows, both for the world titles and neither really worked for me. 

The Funhouse match was special. Just the right combination of talent, situation, production, history and madness. 

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

someone pointed out that Finn Balor reverted to more of his Prince Devitt schtick after losing to The Fiend, and Daniel Bryan much more explicitly stepped back into a former look and gimmick, and suggested that while we only saw them having a standard wrestling match with the Fiend, to them they went through the same career regression nightmare that John Cena did here, the Firefly Funhouse is just the first time we've been able to see it. That's all a bit wanky, but I like the sentiment. 

I’ve also seen these comments and would also put forward to another maybe lesser extent, Seth Rollins went back to snivelling heel for a bit after his fiend matches before this new messiah character, and also the Miz has regressed back to being in a tag team with John Morrison.

I like the concept but not sure if it’s just fans trying to see something that’s not there on purpose, although with the funhouse match it did show wwe can give a lot of thought to these things if they want to.

Night 2 was pretty shit. I mean the 1st match was decent enough but it was downhill from there. 

The tag title match and Otis vs Ziggler, were the type of match I'd go for a piss during if i was at a show. Black Lashley was pretty meh too. 

The last man standing match felt like an hour. It was just gash. Last man standing is hard to do well but this was fucking dull and no crowd to be behind the counts. The women's title match was passable but why Tamina? She is fucking awful, I personally didn't even realise she was alive. 

The firefly fun house, fuck me that was the drizzling shits. Was it supposed to be clever or funny? 

I don't think this would have been a good show in front of a crowd where as night 1 probably would have. 

I do have a problem where the 2 title matches over the 2 nights had a combined length of 8 minutes.