The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Smackdown has been fantastic the last two weeks. It's great on Saturday morning again. Normally WWE being off the boil with pop culture is seen as a bad thing but I like the the slick, daft mix of modern and New Gen gimmicks in a vacuum that this current show feels like. It just feels like harmless fun and not the weekly surface to crack to get to talking about the real newz, how X should be booked or Y should be handled etc. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Sami getting pissed off with Jay with Jimmy and Solo being sound with Sami is a good sub-storyline within the Bloodline which keeps things ticking over while Roman is on his holiday it wherever he is.

Glad to see Otis and Gable getting a bit over on Braun, was a bit frustrating to see them getting squashed when they have been a solid act for a good while now. 

Has anyonrs stock fallen as much as Rousey since her return? She just doesn't feel like the big star she did during her first run. I would much rather see Shayna in the spot than Ronda.

Good show again this week. Sami is gold, as he has been for months. I'm not at all arsed with Braun being back, his chance of the big time has long gone at this stage but I suppose it never hurts to have a proper big lad knocking about..

Logan Paul aside, another enjoyable episode of WWE TV.

It's not like HHH is doing anything drastic or Earth shattering, but after years of senile Vince and now ADD Tony, its nice to see simple, coherent, big time wrestling television - where the wrestling is good and matters, the titles feel important and the bulk of the roster is being used to its potential. 

Sami Zayn is incredible and I love that he's become the MVP of Smackdown. His story with the Bloodline is some of the funniest, most compelling stuff they've ever done. I can't wait for Roman to come back next week just so him and Sami can have more awkward and brilliant Curb Your Enthusiasm style interactions.

Solo vs Madcap was raw, meat and potatoes stuff in the best way. Some of them forearms and clotheslines were proper tasty. Solo looks legitimately menacing and I've always liked the work of Moss when I've seen him. Badly needs a makeover though.

Like a broken clock, Vince was spot on with the 'Butch' gimmick. Never thought I'd see the day when Pete Dunne would become an entertaining, over, main roster character. It's great. And Sheamus is the man. Cool to see him starting to get those legacy repect pops. Him vs Gunter is money and should main event the next ppv.

Ronda vs Liv on the other hand is a disaster. HHH inherited this mess so I can't fully blame him, but he's done Liv no favours. How are you supposed to make Ronda Rousey chasing Liv bloody Morgan a credible story though? At least Ronda is a badass again.

It isn't completely gone, but I'm glad they've calmed down with fake crowd noise. My biggest gripe right now is the awful entrance music. Whoever is producing this listless, forgettable shite needs sacking immediately. Even Braun's theme has regressed now. It's shocking to me how the Big Picture company is getting such a major element of their presentation so wrong.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

I don't think I've ever actively wanted a strap match (even if there's been a couple of good ones) before. I'm gagging for Sheamus and Gunther to have one though, just whipping each other like the family pig. It would be perfect for Extreme Rules.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Logan Paul was uncharacteristically bad though, wasn’t he?

His promo went down like a SACK…

…

…

…OF POTATOES!

Considering who he had to riff of, I thought he was really poor. I’ve been a big WWE/Logan Paul fan, and think he’s taken to most of it very well; but this was really shit.

39 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Logan Paul is a bit crap as a baby face, and it’s a shame, given how excellent he was as a heel.

Having said that, I’m absolutely loving the idea of a Reigns/Logan Paul feud. It’s so different from anything they’ve done recently that I have to applaud them for it. if it wasn’t in Saudi Arabia, I’d be buzzing for the match. As good as Triple H-era WWE is, I still won’t be watching Crown Jewel.

Having said that, it was another brilliant episode of WWE TV. Sami Zayn was a delight as always, Reigns/Paul should be bags of fun, and I was pleasantly surprised by Sikoa/Moss. They should probably drop the ‘Madcap’ name though, and revert to Riddick. 

Of course Braun Strowman would have a problem with male models - fuck you, Braun. His match with Otis should be fun, though. Gable and Otis are great together, and I’d really like to see them get a bit of a push. 

Although Triple H isn’t reinventing the wheel with WWE, he deserves a tonne of credit for taking a fairly limited roster with diminished credibility and turning it into, in my view, the best wrestling shows on TV right now. It’s so much fun to watch WWE at the moment.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

His promo went down like a SACK…

…

…

…OF POTATOES!

Considering who he had to riff of, I thought he was really poor. I’ve been a big WWE/Logan Paul fan, and think he’s taken to most of it very well; but this was really shit.

His delivery wasn't the problem, he delivered it pretty well. It's that they're still persevering with him as a babyface and he absolutely shouldn't be, especially after his performance at Wrestlemania. Now they're trying that against far and away the biggest star in wrestling right now? It's the one major misstep they're making right now.

• Paid Members

That Bloodline segment was fantastic, as was Solo sticking up for Sami like a big brother with Moss and Ricochet. Jey's going to get kicked out in favour of Sami, surely? I don't think my heart could take them all turning on Sami, his face when Jey ripped his shirt off was like they had kicked a puppy.

Looks like the White Rabbit stuff continued, but they left flyers on fans cars with coordinates. It is definitely a unique way of building hype rather than the usual way of vignettes.

• Paid Members

Tune in to see if they pay off the White Rabbit. Stay when Sami Zayn steals the show yet again. Phenomenal segment.

Even if they haven't realised or don't believe in him yet, it's undeniable at this point. Sami's the guy. Like when they wanted it to be anyone but Daniel Bryan, only for fate to take over. It feels exactly the same. It's happening whether they want it to or not. Maybe The Rock will explode in the gym or something. Some way, some how, Sami's toppling Roman at Wrestlemania.