The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

13 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

And there was a point made that the majority only want "traditional" wrestling angles. Seems to have a lot of views for something no one is interested in.

Lots of shit things get lots of views. The measure isn’t in the first, it’s in how many want to watch the next one after seeing that. I won’t. There’s lots of ways to have non “traditional” angles in wrestling. Wrestlers talking spooky bollocks to a pre recorded screen of themselves isn’t for me Clive, tunes me right out of my suspension of disbelief that you need to enjoy wrestling. 

31 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s much more similar to The Black Phone then V.

In terms of exact look yes but I can see why people would feel more towards V in terms of vibes.

I'm sure there are little bits of many inspirations in the overall presentation to make people think different things. It's meant to be confusing.

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

Lots of shit things get lots of views. The measure isn’t in the first, it’s in how many want to watch the next one after seeing that. I won’t. There’s lots of ways to have non “traditional” angles in wrestling. Wrestlers talking spooky bollocks to a pre recorded screen of themselves isn’t for me Clive, tunes me right out of my suspension of disbelief that you need to enjoy wrestling. 

As with anything there's no right or wrong answer. Wrestling is a really interesting thing in that it can be so diverse. One person's 7 star match is another person's flippy bollocks, for example. So absolutely no surprise to see such polarising opinions on Bray. I just think like most things there is a place for it. It just won't be for everyone.

Edited by DavidB6937

56 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

As with anything there's no right or wrong answer. Wrestling is a really interesting thing in that it can be so diverse. One person's 7 star match is another person's flippy bollocks, for example. So absolutely no surprise to see such polarising opinions on Bray. I just think like most things there is a place for it. It just won't be for everyone.

Yeah I don’t mind seeing people enjoying it, good for them. It just won’t ever be for me 

• Paid Members

Following Wyatt's waffling and Hangman Adam Page's insane nonsense on Dynamite, are wrestling promos entering the 'sad comedy' era? I'm sorry your friends are dead but this is a wrestling show, sir. Still at least Wyatt didn't completely embarrass himself unlike Page's effort, which made me ashamed that I'd ever willingly sat and watched some wrestling.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Following Wyatt's waffling and Hangman Adam Page's insane nonsense on Dynamite, are wrestling promos entering the 'sad comedy' era? I'm sorry your friends are dead but this is a wrestling show, sir. Still at least Wyatt didn't completely embarrass himself unlike Page's effort, which made me ashamed that I'd ever willingly sat and watched some wrestling.

What the page promo from Wednesday there? This is the first I’ve seen anyone react negative to it if it was 

• Paid Members
Just now, Louch said:

What the page promo from Wednesday there? This is the first I’ve seen anyone react negative to it if it was 

Oh, I'm well aware it's been universally acclaimed.  It just made me want to crawl into my own shoe and die, then again I don't really like Page anyway so there's also that.

Loved the episode this week, everything had some sort of meaning.

I don’t like Bray as it goes to shit in the ring but if he acts more like a normal guy then maybe it won’t - interested to see who this Uncle Howdy guy is and what role he plays.

Not buying Liv’s act but at least they’re trying something with her.

Sami/Jey stuff is just top notch storytelling every single week - even Logan Paul getting the “one lucky punch” in on Jey helps build him as a challenger to Roman too.

I love segments like LDF’s so hopefully more of the same from them, they seem a good addition to the roster.

I know Damage CTRL are getting some stick saying it isn’t working but I really feel Dakota Kai has stood out which is surprising as everyone seemed to act like Iyo Sky would be the act who blows people away.

• Paid Members

I'm a huge fan of Dakota Kai. For me she's a prime example of WWE developmental doing exactly what it's supposed to do. She grew massively as a performer during her time in NXT. Promos got better, she learned how to work heel effectively, her offense improved, she settled on a look that works etc. Was gutted when she got released as she felt main roster ready for the last year of her time there. Great to see her getting some shine on Smackdown.

First full Smackdown I've watched in ages and thought it was a fun show. It's infuriating how good a promo Logan Paul is. He's such a piece of shit but I have been impressed with pretty much everything he's done in WWE so far. Bloodline stuff is consistently gold. 

Loving seeing LDF on Smackdown too. I fucking adore Santos Escobar. He hasn't even flexed the full power of his jacket game yet. I don't know if Smackdown is ready for it. 

Escobar is everything Andrade thinks he is.  So pleased he is getting a chance on the main roster.  In their eternal search for a Latino star to replace Eddie, they may have struck gold.

Escobar is bloody brilliant. 

I loved this show, it was so much fun. I really hope the thing with Sheamus is leading up to a match with Reigns, and not time off, he’s been absolutely brilliant recently. Who’d have thought he’d have a career resurgence in the way that he has? Good on him.

I’m enjoying Bray so far, but we’ll see where this all goes. Wyatt usually does start strong with his gimmicks, until we reach the eventual pay-off.

Logan Paul is a strong promo, but once the Reigns feud concludes, I hope they do the right thing and turn him heel. There’s a fun feud to be had between Paul and Sami, once he turns, I reckon.

20 hours ago, Loki said:

Escobar is everything Andrade thinks he is.  So pleased he is getting a chance on the main roster.  In their eternal search for a Latino star to replace Eddie, they may have struck gold.

The one worry with Escobar is his age. Not in terms of "can't push him, he's too old", but how many miles on the clock/nagging injuries has he accrued pre-WWE?

A crazy stat- Escobar is older now than Eddie was when he died. He may be the Latino star WWE want, but his run will likely be a little shorter than both sides would like.