The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I know they can't possibly stick the landing at this stage, but this White Rabbit stuff is the most un-WWE (in a good way) type thing they've done in a long time. Everyone loves a mystery. It's refreshingly engaging from the normal product and I'm trying to enjoy it before it inevitably falls flat.

4 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I know they can't possibly stick the landing at this stage, but this White Rabbit stuff is the most un-WWE (in a good way) type thing they've done in a long time. Everyone loves a mystery. It's refreshingly engaging from the normal product and I'm trying to enjoy it before it inevitably falls flat.

I don’t know, actually. Providing it’s Bray Wyatt, they’re fine. There’s very little ‘that’s Sting’s chin’ going on, people just expect it to be and to some extent want it to be Bray Wyatt.

For once, they haven’t accidentally built an unattainably high bar for themselves.

It’ll likely all go to shit when Bray actually wrestles, but that’s not really the fault of the White Rabbit build.

• Paid Members

If anything's going to put me off the Great WWE Revival, it's Johnny Gargano showing up all over the place. Just fuck off.

A mixed bag compared to recent weeks but the opening and closing tag matches were great (Gargano aside), and Shotzi vs Bayley was excellent.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, RedRooster said:

As much as I love Sami, I don't think his excellent performances should translate into a title win at the moment. He doesn't have the same level of fan support as Bryan did back at 'Mania 30, and while that might change, until it does I think it would be a mistake to have him defeat Reigns. I'm not convinced Cody Rhodes is the right person to beat him either, although I think he's closest to being the right choice. 

I definitely think they should do Reigns/Zayn at a PPV like Survivor Series and test the water, and I think this would be a situation where looking strong in defeat would seriously boost Sami. 

I actually think I might have changed my mind on this. I know they were in Canada, but I think Sami might be on the cusp of having Daniel Bryan-level momentum. The problem is, I'm not sure I want to see Reigns turn on Sami, I'd feel pretty bloody gutted! That should be the basis of a great storyline, but I'd just feel sad to see poor Sami get treated like that. 

Solo Sikoa has been a great addition to the Smackdown roster, and has added something new to The Bloodline. I was really cynical about him, but I couldn't have been more wrong. His chemistry with Sami is an absolute blast, and I look forward to what I suspect is an inevitable Usos vs. Sami/Solo match in the future. 

38 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

If this was Bray back under Vince I'd be concerned. Bray under HHH? A potentially different story. Those two guys working together could finally find how to make Bray work as a whole package.

I totally agree with this. Triple H clearly "got" the original Bray Wyatt character based on his presentation in NXT, and I feel pretty optimistic - and actually pretty excited - about his impending return. 

While I think - on the whole - Triple H is doing an excellent job, the biggest miss of the Triple H so far for me is Liv Morgan's title run. I'm assuming Rousey will win the belt back - as she should - but Liv has really exposed her limitations to the point I don't know what they can do with her next. She's not great in ring, her promos are very weak - given the depth they have on their women's roster, I suspect she's in for a very sharp drop in where she's placed on the card. 

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why would they do that match? It wouldn't make any sense at all.

Not immediately, but I think it’s very likely for a number of reasons; and there are several ways to get to it. For example, it could be through Roman Reigns, who is a very manipulative character in general. Perhaps one of the Usos (probably Jey) does something to piss him off, he then arranges this match suggesting it’s a reward to Sami and/or Solo. Or perhaps it’s a step towards Sami leaving the group permanently - either Sami/Solo win a number one contenders match, or Solo sticks with Sami for a bit after he’s thrown out of The Bloodline, only to partake in a three on one beat down when that match takes place. Heck, maybe Reigns uses the lure of the tag title match to distract Sami while he’s building up momentum; to keep his thoughts away from the Unified Title. 

I don’t think the decision to team Sami/Solo was just done for the sake of it, then you have Sami suggesting that he’s taken Solo under his wing. In addition there’s the fact Solo was sent ‘by the elders’ and not a recruit of Reigns himself. 

If it were Vince-era WWE, I’d tell someone posting what I’ve just said that they’re reading too much into it. But Triple H appears to view storytelling differently, and is happy to plant seeds or Easter eggs. I think in this case it’s clear we’re building to something with Sami/Reigns, and I think it’s likely that this is a step they take along the way.

• Paid Members

Jey Uso needs more credit for his performances in the Bloodline. The guy is playing his role perfectly, the way he was cowering as Roman was staring at him, but more like a dog who is bring told off, but still angry as hell. Brilliant.

Putting Sami in charge of Jey is a masterstroke as well. There are so many layers to The Bloodline storyline, I think it's my favourite thing in wrestling at the moment.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

It’s time we stop any and all talk about Paul Heyman still being a great promo in 2022. For all the confidence and delivery and goodwill he’s developed all these years, he hasn’t actually cut a good promo in forever and last night’s effort was a complete disaster. Rambling name checking of online grifters to less and less of a reaction. Heyman at his worst, so focussed on proving he’s got his finger on the pulse in terms of pop culture that he forgot to - you know - sell a match. He’s lucky Sami Zayn and Jey Uso were out there with him, both in the forms of their lives, to save that segment from certain death. The pop when Sami intervened! Incredible! He’s the next Mick Foley or Daniel Bryan if they stick this landing. Sami’s got to be in the discussion for wrestler of the year.

But yeah, other than Heyman genuinely being the weak link at this point, this Bloodline thing is the most inspired thing WWE have done in as long as I can remember. All these different characters, with different relationships with each other, interconnecting with different stories. Amazing. I could watch two hours of the Bloodline just going out for a meal or something, bouncing off each other. Jimmy and Sami cracking each other up. Jey and Sami arguing over who eats the last breadstick. Roman making Sami pay the bill.

It feels like it could go in a million different ways and I can’t wait to watch along. They’ve even made yet another New Day vs. Usos Tag Title match feel super important and relevant. Can New Day stop them breaking their record? I need to tune in to find out! What a fucking triumph this whole thing is. This is what Hunter deserves credit for. Now is when we can start praising him for improving the product. Giving people surnames and allowing people to say, “belt,” was just basic shit anyone could have done. The chronicles of Samoan Sami Zayn is slowly turning into a genuine masterpiece though.

LOL at them bottling it with the White Rabbit stuff. Weeks of trying to be subtle and clever and then they panic at the final hurdle and go full WWE by showing everything everywhere, with the subtlety of a brick to the face. The QR code on Hunter’s microphone genuinely made me laugh. May as well have just stuck it on his face or had him wear a Fiend mask.

Maybe I’m a dickhead for asking this, but has anyone actually missed Sarah Logan? I can’t remember anything good she’s ever done. Didn’t she expose herself to be a bit of a MAGA idiot, too?

Anyone else convinced LA Knight is a huge step down from Max Dupri?

Wade Barrett was really good at the desk. Quick wit and some funny lines. Good stuff.

They flagrantly replaced that woman in Legado Del Fantasma with Zelina, didn’t they? Like when someone would be replaced with a new actor on Brookside! Poor girl.

Poor Sheamus and Gunther. That was a great little match, stiff as fuck, but absolutely ruined by two ad breaks. They had me at the finish though. Was genuinely gutted Sheamus didn’t win. Iron Man or Two-out-of-three-falls match, please! Great, great chemistry.

Solid show. I’m excited for the PPV.

Edited by Supremo

I get that they had to lay it on thick with the White Rabbit stuff, as ultimately everything has to have a commercial ROI and they need as many people as possible to give a shit about getting Peacock or whatever tonight.

But… Triple H… come on mate. The fact you had to visibly twiddle your microphone to show the QR code? …again, come on.

No real complaints about the show and add me to the people loving the  direction the Bloodline story has taken since Triple H took over creative with the layers, etc

Regarding the ‘tap’ in the main event, it wasn’t a blown spot, and instead it was a ‘Brazilian Tap’, where the competitor taps the mat twice to deceive his opponent into thinking he’d given up when the rules state a tap 3 times is what calls a fight/match to an end.

It would appear the error was Michael Cole and Wade Barrett not explaining that it could have been that. I anticipate that will be remedied in comms tonight.

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

Paul Heyman doing one misguided promo doesn't suddenly make him a bad promo. The guy's been right back on it since his return. All the Bloodline stuff right now is amazingly good and well written stuff, and everyone's playing their roles well.

Best part of a good show was no Johnny Gargano. Sheamus vs Gunther was fantastic again. No idea who the Mexicans are but I'll have a look. I know Zelina though, good to see her back.

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Paul Heyman doing one misguided promo doesn't suddenly make him a bad promo. The guy's been right back on it since his return. All the Bloodline stuff right now is amazingly good and well written stuff, and everyone's playing their roles well.

Everyone in that stable is playing their part well, though I agree that Jey Uso doesn’t get anywhere near enough credit for the role he has played. Heck, I’d go one step further and say he’s one of the most underrated wrestlers around right now. His run against Roman Reigns was outstanding, he’s been great in his Bloodline role, he’s a very strong promo and his matches - single or tag - are always great. He had tremendous chemistry with everyone around him, and plays a key role in helping those around him shine. I think he’s great.

I thought it was a great show, and I don’t blame them for being a bit less subtle with the White Rabbit stuff this time round, given that the pay-off is imminent. On the whole, they’ve done a great job with this and I’m looking forward to the pay-off.

I can’t believe I’m saying this in 2022, but I’d bloody love to see Sheamus get a PPV match with Roman Reigns soon. The guy is on fire right now, his matches are so much fun to watch. 

Can't remember the last time wrestling made me laugh out loud, but it happened 3 times last night. Best of the bunch was Sami's face when he was sat between the Usos and Roman gave him the task of sorting out Jey.  Michael Coles tumble was hilarious and I had a proper giggle at Wade exclaiming "I KNEW that was LA Knight!" like he'd been wearing a mask for the last year. Smackdown is more fun than I ever remember a wrestling show being at this moment in time.