The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Shamus squashing Bryan at Mania and making nerds cry was spectacular. 

I was there. The queue was hell, blazing heat and people literally screaming nothing but "YES!" on the way in. They were definitely set to do it all night before Sheamus saved the day. Perfect opening!

@King Pitcos asked me to bring him back a toy from this event. Not only did I not laugh at him and tell him he's too old for toys, I actually did it. That's respect.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Is there still no Smackdown set for September 2nd anywhere? It's surely too late to book in either side of the Atlantic now isn't it?

At this rate it'll just be a clip show with Pat McAfee and Michael Cole trapped in a lift at Titan Towers reminiscing over all of the previous great matches from Walestown, England.

• Paid Members

Of all the baby steps they’ve taken in the right direction, their usage of video packages is easily the most significant. Some of the stuff on this show involving Drew was top tier. I’m assuming it’s Jeremy Borash’s work since it’s got his fingerprints all over it. Whoever deserves credit, it blows my mind the amount of footage and talent they’ve had at their disposal for years, yet never felt the need to capitalise. Characters with a proper arc! Stories that have a beginning, middle and end! Actually acknowledging history! Amazing!

Great heat angle to end the show, too. Roman’s got a Scottish beating coming his way.

Wasn’t it Roman and Drew who had that phenomenal match at Survivor Series 2020? I remember that was one of the best matches in all of the Thunderdome era. Crazy chemistry. Almost made you forget it was happening in the Twilight Zone. I bet they’ll have a belter next Saturday.

It won’t even crack his top fifty crimes when all is said and done, but I’ll never forgive Vince McMahon for putting on the shittest product of all time when those Cardiff tickets went on sale. Fucking off and allowing the shows to become watchable again when it’s too late to organise travel and accommodation is infuriating. I wish I was going next Saturday. Pure FOMO. I’m all in on this, now. Come on Drew! You’re gonna win whether you want to or not!

It was another solid show. This is the best time to be a wrestling fan in decades.

Ricochet is going to be one of the more interesting case studies going forward. Watching Hunter try to rehab him and make a star out of someone who’s been such a loser for so long will be fascinating to follow. I’m genuinely not convinced anything can clean off the stench of jobber that surrounds him.

Bayley and Pat trolling Michael Cole is tonnes of fun. What small glimpses we got during the Vince era, they’ve turned it up to eleven now and it’s hilarious. How Cole plays it straight is beyond me.

Xavier Woods with the Kevin Nash wheelchair gimmick! I love it.

Tamina and Natalya still knocking about though. Sort it out, Trips.

Similarly, they’ve lost their minds if they think Hit Row are the babyfaces against Maximum Male Models. Not a chance! 

That Superplex to the outside looked like it snapped Nikki Cross’ leg in two. Horrendous. Hope she’s ok.

LOL at Sheamus’ promo, listing everyone he’s ever beat, ending with, “…even The Game, Triple H!” Nice and subtle. I don’t know what’s funnier, Triple H himself scripting that or Sheamus coming up with it to brown nose the new boss.

Anyway, the biggest thing coming out of this show is my realisation that they might actually reward Sami Zayn for being the best and most entertaining performer in the whole company. It hit me in the middle of his brilliant backstage segment with Roman. Three months ago, the most you could do is enjoy how great he is, despite knowing deep down that he, like everyone else, existed in stasis, as a one-note character going nowhere. Now though? Where things actually happen? Stories actually evolve? Characters have an actual arc? Holy shit. There is a genuine Wrestlemania main event match to be had with Sami eventually turning babyface, realising he’s being manipulated by the Bloodline and facing Roman for the Title. It already feels like it’s simmering. There’s some real sympathy to be had watching him try and fit in. That handshake with the Usos had me howling!

But yeah. Balls to The Rock. Sami’s the guy. I get positively giddy imagining all the NXT guys deciding to turn him into the top babyface he always had the potential to be.

Campaign starts now. Zayn 2023.

Probably the weakest show of the Triple H era, but I still enjoyed it, particularly the Roman Reigns/Sami Zayn stuff. I feel like I should be willing Drew McIntyre on, and fuck, they did about as much as they could do to make me feel that way with that superb video package, but I just want to see Sami have a Daniel Bryan style moment, and win the title from Roman.

The problem is, Roman feels like he’s on a different stratosphere from everyone else. Even though he’s 2-years into a title reign, if I were them I’m not sure I’d want to have him lose any time soon. He’s absolutely brilliant. It’s hard to believe there was a time when he felt miscast and underwhelming.  

It has to be Sami.

This is the story. He’s the guy. Don’t fuck about, just do the thing.

Over time, I want Roman, The Uso’s and The U-faux to beat up everyone. EVERYONE. And, slowly, over time they just increasingly undervalue and disrespect Sami.

Until… until during an Uso beat down of the latest challenger outside of the ring, Sami just slowly emerges into shot behind a cocky Roman. The place goes WILD, and Sami just slaps him upside the head.

The next Mania main event has to be Sami and Roman. I’ll accept nothing less.

**edit- I’m definitely trademarking The U-Faux

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Supremo said:

This man is undeniable. If there’s any justice in this world next year’s Wrestlemania will end with Zayn and Owens each holding a World Title.

Ok, but which one of them is going to end up texting Chavo, to tell him where he can find the dogs? 

Edited by WeeAl

Love Zayne's work but that's a gratitude era title win for me, Jeff. The big belt's for the big lads. Owens getting a sniff is fine because he actually comes off like a legitimate threat. Zayne's last WrestleMania was getting caught in a giant mouse trap in a match with Johnny Knoxville.