The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

There's some rehab to do on Sami, for sure, but he's one of the best babyfaces in the world if he's allowed to be.

Triple H absolutely knows how to make Sami that babyface. It's the thing I'm most excited for in WWE, quality faces again

30 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Love Zayne's work but that's a gratitude era title win for me, Jeff. The big belt's for the big lads. Owens getting a sniff is fine because he actually comes off like a legitimate threat. Zayne's last WrestleMania was getting caught in a giant mouse trap in a match with Johnny Knoxville. 

KO has had just as many ups and downs as Sami. If anyone can still believe in him as a viable champion then there's absolutely mileage in a babyface Sami run.

Maybe the way to give Sami the credibility he needs is to have him take Roman to the limit and lose. Although that might create clamour for a rematch, if I’m completely honest with myself, Cody Rhodes is probably still the right person to unseat Roman. At the very least, I think it would be a mistake to have Roman lose before that match takes place. 

I hate to double post, but since no one else is talking about it, I wanted to share some thoughts on Smackdown, after starting to watch WWE again thanks to the Triple H era. I’ve generally, over the years, preferred Smackdown to Raw, but there are so many characters there right now who feel overly cartoonish.

I suspect a lot of this will change as Triple H’s vision takes hold, but it’s still a bit of an embarrassing show to watch right now while other people are around.

The Viking Raiders/New Day match, for example, was decent, but it was hard to take the Raiders seriously with the giant longboat at ringside, alongside the daft cosplay. They don’t feel particularly dangerous, as, I imagine, was intended when they turned heel.

Happy Corbin, Karrion Kross and Scarlett, Sheamus and his Peaky Blinders chums and even Gunther are all presented in a way that feels a bit forced. One or two acts who feel like cartoons wouldn’t bother me so much, but that seems to be the whole identity of Smackdown right now, outside of whatever Reigns is doing.

And talking of Reigns, all of the stuff involving The Bloodline was absolutely brilliant. Sami is an absolute blast, and the Usos deserve a lot of credit for the role they play too. I’m really looking forward to Reigns/Drew, and I genuinely don’t know what the result is going to be. 

13 minutes ago, TheDude said:

I'll disagree about Kross. He looks the business. Especially with the hair and Scarlett. Bald Kross was lame. Kross with hair looks like a killer.

As daft as this sounds, it’s the entrance that loses me. Scarlett lip-syncing along to the entrance music, and her general behaviour during the entrance feels far too over-the-top. I realise this may be a ‘me’ thing and nothing more…

15 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As daft as this sounds, it’s the entrance that loses me. Scarlett lip-syncing along to the entrance music, and her general behaviour during the entrance feels far too over-the-top. I realise this may be a ‘me’ thing and nothing more…

Fair point, the lip syncing is lame, But he's not a cartoon. He's a big tough guy who will wreck you. The rope tying up too. Jeez.

48 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm surprised you mention Gunther in there with the others. I've been really happy with his presentation since joining the main roster. One of the highlights for me.

I haven’t seen a huge amount of him, I’ll admit. I’ve found the presentation - and ‘Ludwig Kaiser’ - a little stereotypical. I think it probably feels more pronounced based on who he’s interacting with. I quite enjoy Sheamus as a wrestler, but it’s hard to take him seriously when he’s dressed like that.

• Paid Members

Pat McAfee is joining ESPN's College Gameday as an analyst, which means he'll be stepping away from Smackdown for a few months. Wouldn't be shocked if he returns as a surprise entry in the Rumble...

I found him intolerable during his last little run on Gameday but I've warmed to him somewhat in his WWE tenure, so hoping for better this time!

• 2 weeks later...