The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

31 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

The problem with Bray is that it all feels like community theatre which people think is genius but it actually isn't 

The majority want stuff like the Bloodline/Zayn stuff. For its one glaring fault (Jey not trusting Zayn and eventually being right has to turn him face but that's not where the story is going) its a traditional wrestling angle which leads to a match/matches.

Bray doing student horror movies does not have a shelf life. It didn't last time or the time before that

Which is it? You say people think it's genius but then that the majority of people don't want it?

It's wrestling. There's plenty of room for different stuff across the board. Whether it's traditional or something a little more outside the box. It has always been that way.

I loved the Bray stuff, and really, I think it’s too early to judge whether or not this is going to work. It’s not entirely clear what this is, although we can speculate. I thought it was well done.

There’s very little that I didn’t like about this episode. I’m not crazy about Kross, but the opening with McIntyre was different and it really set the tone for the whole show, which breezed by.

Mysterio returning to Smackdown was really nostalgic for me. His original stint on Smackdown is one of the reasons I became a fan. It’s astounding that 20-years later he’s still going, and is still as good as he is. That said, I was pretty disappointed that he won that match rather than Sheamus, although I’ve no doubt that Sheamus will be facing off against Gunther again sooner rather than later.

The Bloodline stuff was as brilliant as ever, but is it just me that is starting to feel a bit sorry for Jey Uso? Maybe that’s the intention. 

I think the biggest notable change since hhh took over is the length matches are now getting which is amazing. Instead of them trying to cram a million matches at 6 minutes each there giving the matches more time to develop and enhance the talent and product 

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’d be amazed if this isn’t leading to an in-ring segment where it looks for all the world like Jey is getting kicked out of the Bloodline, only for them to all turn around and beat the shit out of Sami.

You know, I hadn’t even considered that, but it seems so obvious I’m amazed that I didn’t. Roman vs. Sami at Survivor Series or the Rumble, perhaps? 

I thought it was really well done, and the kind of segment that succeeded as a home run point of intrigue for casual audiences, kids and people actively invested in WWE. You can't ask for much more really, and the reaction elsewhere's a good testament to that as a bit of counterbalance. 

Also - just to put this out there again - the whole "Speaking from the heart" promo is just another part of a performer's toolset now. I feel as though some people are too quick to classify and denounce them as 'shoot' promos as if they forever belong to the same category as Russo's Bash at the Beach promo. I didn't think it was too illogical as a fresh twist on the character. 

It's also really cool that he's joined Coal Chamber now. I hope they do some festivals next year. 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

And? 🤷‍♂️ 

It had a lot of views. That's good for him, doesn't stop people thinking it's just Malibu Wyatt throwing a Seven. 

And there was a point made that the majority only want "traditional" wrestling angles. Seems to have a lot of views for something no one is interested in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

And there was a point made that the majority only want "traditional" wrestling angles. Seems to have a lot of views for something no one is interested in.

That’s the whole curiosity thing. Like me watching Extreme Rules last week purely for the reveal. Then again last night to see what was next. But I thought it was pretty poor, leading to more of the same bull he was putting out before as The Fiend. So I probably won’t bother next week. Debut numbers mean very little in the grand scheme of things, it’s if people continue to watch out of interest going forward that will determine it’s success or failure.

• Paid Members

It's weird the crowd were so desperate to get their shit in that they played along with such an obviously disingenuous promo from Bray (and if he wasn't deliberately going for that look then he's even worse an actor than I ever thought). It was like a really shit version of Hogan's amazing No Way Out 2002 "but God bless all of you too!" promo while wearing 12 crosses round his neck.

It's good to have a little cliffhanger and mystery around someone again, mind. I'll let it play out, but being Bray I don't have much hope in it being passable. Not a great start.