The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

One thing this new approach is doing is creating renewed daylight between NXT and the main roster. But in reverse.

Just over a year ago, the stylistic difference between NXT and RAW/Smackdown was stark. The former molded in Triple H’s image and the latter in Vince’s image.

NXT 2.0 is in Vince’s image and the main roster is slowly mixing in what Triple H envisioned.

With Iyo Sky and Dakota Kai joining Bayley, Ciampa ‘breaking out’ in one night, Ricochet winning, Shayna Baszler winning and Kross/Scarlett coming back with their previous presentation, it shows how faithful Triple H is to his version of NXT and to his guys.

It will be interesting to see how NXT and the main roster are married going forward, especially with people like Breakker, who people have been calling to be moved.

Kross I have no time for, but Kross and Scarlett as an act I do. Tattooed monster with big tiddy goth gf is obviously money. They acknowledged in the past that they see a difference between a developmental gimmick and a main event talent, when Elias got called up after half a dozen competent matches on NXT doing little more than his finisher allocated from WWE's Wonderful World of Neckbreakers.

It'll be interesting to see how NXT relates to the main TV ongoing. There was always a clear disconnect between what NXT was producing under Dusty then Trips, and what was being presented on Raw and Smackdown. Dusty may have produced better all-rounders, but weeks of wrestling and promoing in front of a friendly crowd didn't translate to "stick em out there and rassle your way over in 8 minutes." Trips' call ups got strangely similar treatment, despite his focus clearly being on 'acts', where talent depth was reduced to karaoke entrances.

A solid show this week I thought. Pacing seemed good. Not much in the way of wasted time. Decent effort at building up acts AND titles which I can definitely get behind.

The more regular use of video packages is something I've always felt they could do more of, especially with the amount of TV time they have. It's a quick and easy way to get someone over or a title etc so great to see.

Won't go into minute detail but really enjoyed the Gunther/Nakamura match. Wouldn't mind a PPV rematch at some point as I'm sure they had more to give. Gunther is one of those miraculous pre-retired Vince guys that got called up and they got right completely. Glad they continue to do so.

Interesting re-debut this episode. Obvious potential issue aside, there's a lot of potential there and a unique energy.

I just feel like I'm interested again and that's what I really missed. Just looking forward to watching the shows and wanting to..

• Paid Members

Top Dolla? Oh mate.

Does it not raise any red flags to Triple H that all the people he wants to bring back have done precisely fuck all since leaving, with nobody else wanting them?

I don’t have high hopes for Hit Row without Swerve.

It was an okay show. Baby steps, still. Slowly trying to make titles and matches mean something again after years of bland, paper-thin, empty-calorie, nothing television. If nothing else, you’ve got to appreciate the effort.

Watching and listening to Michael Cole as a free man is the best thing about the Triple H era so far. You can sense his relief and happiness no longer having a nutter screaming down his ear.  Still needs to stop the, “FOR THE WIN!” stuff though.

They should  abandon ship with this Liv Morgan thing. It’s dead. She’s not recovering from the bad booking at Money in the Bank and Summerslam. The more things change, the more they stay the same. These guys simply cannot write babyfaces.

Sami Zayn, honorary Uso, remains the highlight of every episode. That lad is the MVP of this whole company.

Ronda continuing to give Edge a run for his money in terms of the worst comeback of all time. It’s genuinely impressive how she manages to have such bad delivery, whilst equally conveying a weird arrogant aura, as if she’s above it all. Terrible. They’ve got a lot of work to do if they think there’s still money in Becky vs. Ronda at Wrestlemania.

Fun, stiff main event. That knee to the chin was mental! Either they screwed up somewhere or Gunther in particular has a lot of respect for Triple H, willing to knock fuck out of his own face to get this new era over.

I’ll never get over Gunther being a shrunken Walter though. Such a downgrade. They should do the Elias thing with him and just pretend he’s Walter’s younger brother. Send Gunther away with Ezekiel to grow back their tits and beards respectively.

Edited by Supremo

36 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Top Dolla? Oh mate.

Does it not raise any red flags to Triple H that all the people he wants to bring back have done precisely fuck all since leaving, with nobody else wanting them?

I mean to be completely fair if they hadn’t done fuck all then they wouldn’t be available as all the companies you can do something in sign their wrestlers to contracts now so anyone he brings in was always gonna have done fuck all.

He needs to bring people in - the roster is threadbare with constantly repetitive matches. I prefer this style where it’s a larger roster and not everyone is on TV every week.

Hit Row will fit fine as another tag team which again is a threadbare division - we’ve been watching Street Profits v Usos for about a year. Any additions right now are handy to be honest.

Another decent show and echo the thoughts on the video packages to build things - properly trying to give the US and Intercontinental titles meaning again.

• Paid Members

Ah, so we all plan to restore the King of Kings to his throne as “best booker ever?” An interesting plan sirs, excellent in all but one small detail. I think you know what it is.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:23 AM, air_raid said:

Anyway, the real reason I’m in this thread is to ask ; did WWE do an episode of TV where champions lost a non-title match? Yes they did.

Garth-Crooks.jpg

Bye.

Sheamus has been very quietly getting a lot better in recent times since they took their focus off him and seemingly just let him have his euro brawls with whoever his mates are. 

I'm biased for a local lad but there's clearly a decent long term angle and heel run with the belt left in him when they need someone to keep the strap warm for a few months. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Sheamus has been very quietly getting a lot better in recent times since they took their focus off him and seemingly just let him have his euro brawls with whoever his mates are. 

I'm biased for a local lad but there's clearly a decent long term angle and heel run with the belt left in him when they need someone to keep the strap warm for a few months. 

He got tarred with the “Triple H’s mate” brush early on because they worked out together a couple of times, which is a shame because he’s a consistent performer his whole time there. That 2012 run with the World Heavyweight Title had some great matches

Edited by WyattSheepMask

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The main event from this week is well worth watching

Did you mean the main event?  Cos the main event was Liv Morgan v Shotzi and it was about 5 minutes.