The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Would AJ, Lashley or Riddle sell as well?

I just don’t think match quality is top of their concerns list.

That said, if we do assume that Brock isn’t a bigger name or draw than these guys - what’s the rationale for booking him?

I think had Cody and Randy both been fit, the outrage might have been justifiable. But, I’m not sure they had much of a choice as they have such a big venue to try and sell.

*EDIT*
I did a little sweep and, ignoring the covid-struck  Summerslam, these are the last 10 Summerslam main events;

Reigns v Cena

Rollins v Lesnar

Reigns v Lesnar

Lesnar v Reigns v Samoa Joe v Strowman

Lesnar v Orton

Lesnar v Undertaker

Lesnar v Cena

Bryan v Cena

Lesnar v Triple H

Punk v Cena

I think that shows a clear ‘type’ they want for in a main event at Summerslam. There’s potentially some scope for them to bring a Lashley or AJ in for a multi-man - though I’d argue the multi-man looks the weakest on that list - but I don’t think either one cuts the mustard when compared against the list, for a 1v1 Summerslam main event.

Reigns v Orton fits. Potentially given the buzz you could have got away with Cody.

But once those two went down, I suspect they looked outwards to your Lesnar’s and Goldberg’s, rather than looking inwards.

I guess you can file ‘Cena likely jobbing to Theory’ under them trying to create new stars?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Would AJ, Lashley or Riddle sell as well?

Sell what to whom? Since putting all their stuff on subs on the network they've not built around one match in the same way as they used to. 

But even if they did, I think Riddle, on the role he's on, properly built, probably would be a bigger draw than Roman v Brock again, especially as you could easily have Brock on the show against someone, anyone, else. Anyone who would buy for Brock would buy if he's in a second main event against,  I dunno,  Judgement Day. I can't imagine anyone is going to sub to Peacock thinking Brock is going to win.

I understand why they've brought back, but it's a knee jerk move. A bit more thought could've come up with a better solution.

4 minutes ago, Duke said:

Sell what to whom? Since putting all their stuff on subs on the network they've not built around one match in the same way as they used to. 

But even if they did, I think Riddle, on the role he's on, properly built, probably would be a bigger draw than Roman v Brock again, especially as you could easily have Brock on the show against someone, anyone, else. Anyone who would buy for Brock would buy if he's in a second main event against,  I dunno,  Judgement Day. I can't imagine anyone is going to sub to Peacock thinking Brock is going to win.

I understand why they've brought back, but it's a knee jerk move. A bit more thought could've come up with a better solution.

I don’t buy this idea that single matches don’t sell anymore.

All their big shows are still built around the big main event - look at the Summerslam list, look at the Mania main events.

Riddle in a few years, maybe, but they needed to sell a stadium right now.

Though, more broadly, my biggest concern is that Riddle and Theory do currently seem to be next in line. Just… not great, is it?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t buy this idea that single matches don’t sell anymore.

All their big shows are still built around the big main event - look at the Summerslam list, look at the Mania main events.

Riddle in a few years, maybe, but they needed to sell a stadium right now.

Though, more broadly, my biggest concern is that Riddle and Theory do currently seem to be next in line. Just… not great, is it?

If Baron Corbin vs Madcap Moss was the main event at Wrestlemania this year the same amount of tickets would have been sold. Now days the event itself is the draw which is why when tickets go on sale the bulk are purchased in the first few weeks. This year they announced Austin late in the day and ticket sales saw a small bump. Still only 2/3’s of what they were expecting to sell

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If Baron Corbin vs Madcap Moss was the main event at Wrestlemania this year the same amount of tickets would have been sold. Now days the event itself is the draw which is why when tickets go on sale the bulk are purchased in the first few weeks. This year they announced Austin late in the day and ticket sales saw a small bump. Still only 2/3’s of what they were expecting to sell

Then why do they do it?

If they could book anyone they like, at no extra cost, why have they booked Lesnar?

I think we’re kidding ourselves that they’ve not done it to drive coverage and hopefully sales. If it didn’t matter, they could have picked anyone and saved themselves millions.

They might be a fairly cold, ethically compromised corporate beast; but they’re not idiots. They don’t do things just because. They might get it wrong sometimes, sure, but they don’t Chuck millions at Lesnar just because.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Then why do they do it?

If they could book anyone they like, at no extra cost, why have they booked Lesnar?

I think we’re kidding ourselves that they’ve not done it to drive coverage and hopefully sales. If it didn’t matter, they could have picked anyone and saved themselves millions.

They might be a fairly cold, ethically compromised corporate beast; but they’re not idiots. They don’t do things just because. They might get it wrong sometimes, sure, but they don’t Chuck millions at Lesnar just because.

How have the Smackdown ratings gone since Brocks last appearance? I’m not saying people don’t like Lesner, or wouldn’t pay to see him. What I am saying is how often do tickets for the big PPV’s go on sale and they have already announced the main event?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Definitely for me this is one too many times now and I can't see how it could be that much of a draw anymore.  Maybe I am wrong and most fans want to see it again and again but it is well and truly done in for me now. Trying to think back to the number of PPV's this match has been on.

Mania 31, Mania 34, Saudi Shit Show 2018, Summerslam 2018, Saudi Shit show 2022, Mania 38 - So this is the 7th singles match in 7 years.

Then include a triple threat and 4 way

Fastlane 16, Summerslam 17 so it's now up to 9 matches.

Cena and Orton had 10 PPV matches over around a 5 year period I think. For me the fact that it's over a longer period is even worse. 

That's just too much and I can't believe they haven't got absolutely anything in their box of tricks apart from Brock. Is it Vince's retirement present or something?

32 minutes ago, simonworden said:

That's just too much and I can't believe they haven't got absolutely anything in their box of tricks apart from Brock. Is it Vince's retirement present or something?

But, what though?

Because the only answers I’ve got are people like Undertaker, who may not actually want to come back.

The well is dry.

They’ve clearly made a business decision that the only chance they have of achieving as much coverage as possible, and sell as many tickets as they can, is Brock. 

If they’re wrong, what are the alternatives?

I think it’s distracting to talk about how boring this match is (which it is), I think the bigger issue is that they’ve got a champion who’s beat everyone, some unfortunate injuries and very few part timers to call in. I think it’s a perfect storm of shit.

As much as the Roman march to a potential Rock match might be the master plan, I think they need to get one title off him at least. It might give them some flexibility to do something different. If Roman isn’t the first name written in the main event spot, it might make their lives a little easier.

32 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

But, what though?

Because the only answers I’ve got are people like Undertaker, who may not actually want to come back.

The well is dry.

They’ve clearly made a business decision that the only chance they have of achieving as much coverage as possible, and sell as many tickets as they can, is Brock. 

If they’re wrong, what are the alternatives?

I think it’s distracting to talk about how boring this match is (which it is), I think the bigger issue is that they’ve got a champion who’s beat everyone, some unfortunate injuries and very few part timers to call in. I think it’s a perfect storm of shit.

As much as the Roman march to a potential Rock match might be the master plan, I think they need to get one title off him at least. It might give them some flexibility to do something different. If Roman isn’t the first name written in the main event spot, it might make their lives a little easier.

Oh don't get me wrong I completely agree with what you said and that's what I meant by I can't believe not that I think they have something else more that they've let this sorry situation happen. 

It's also worrying me that IF Rock is slotted in for Mania, with the Vince situation that's very likely to get undone as well. They might be able to build up Cody 2002 Triple H style for a comeback and win at Mania against Reigns as a backup but I don't think anyone has faith in that anymore either. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Mania over the last few years (Lesnar/Reigns this year excluded) been notorious for leaving it late to confirm what’s going on last, sometimes with we the viewer not even knowing until the show is in progress. It’s not really “built” around one match any more. Lesnar vs Reigns was the exception, not the rule.

• Paid Members

Even by the standards of this company, especially with the Roman character, it’s mental how much they’ve boiled him down to one point. All this fucker ever does anymore is look a bit shocked at Brock’s music hitting at the end of a show. How many times have they done that now? It’s got to be at least half a dozen.

• Paid Members

Lesnar Vs Reigns 65 is boring as shit, but I will never tire of seeing Brock's big smiley face strutting down the aisle. I'm convinced that the longer his pony tail gets, the happier he becomes and if it were to be cut, he would become the miserable bastard again.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Even by the standards of this company, especially with the Roman character, it’s mental how much they’ve boiled him down to one point. All this fucker ever does anymore is look a bit shocked at Brock’s music hitting at the end of a show. How many times have they done that now? It’s got to be at least half a dozen.

Reigns vs Lesnar has nearly completed the cycle of repetition to where rather than boring or frustrating to see them programmed again, it’s just comical. Only Brock being so entertaining in his currently guise stops things getting to Cena v Orton levels of complete detachment.

39 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I think this video was meant as a compliment - and whilst he HAS got the act down pat, that literally is his whole act in video form.