The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Shy Dad said:

They're trying to do the whole "she's the definition of a hard worker and fighter, someone to get behind and support because she beat all the challenges she faced". 

It's just they've done it so Ham fisted she'll be a heel in three weeks because "you didn't give me the support I deserved" probably. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It looked more like the Star Spangled Banner to me. Which is bad enough. I was more interested in the fact that the ring announcer said to the audience that Lacey Evans would like their respect. What the fuck are they doing? Isn't she supposed to be a babyface now?

Sounds, unsurprisingly, like they've done an about turn here again. I haven't seen any of the promo material she's done lately, but I gather it was all very clearly designed to set her up as a face like you say. That plans have switched already has kind of doomed her before it even got going. 

• Paid Members

Using a woman's real life and traumatic personal experiences for a wrestling storyline and then essentially ignoring all of that because 'plans change' is shitty even by wrestling standards. Jesus.

• Paid Members

I thought the presentation and delivery of those promos were excellent. You could even look beyond the realms of the wrestling side/gimmick/character arc and she would make such a great ambassador for the company for championing a number of charities/causes/initiatives that support families who may have been affected by some of the issues she's brought to light, maybe even becoming a genuine role model for those people (she still might). The delivery was so natural in her promos and it was totally different to what we've seen before, and it struck a chord because there was a genuine reality to what she was talking about.  

There's so much potential there - to go and waste that with a heel turn now after she's effectively poured her heart out for five weeks would be complete and utter lunacy. She's doomed already. They won't give a single, solitary shit about this in all likelihood, but the smallest of small hopes is that they get even the slightest whiff that this won't go down well and they might reverse their decision on it. Fat fucking chance. 

• Paid Members

Big week for Butch and Rodriguez - couple of potentially star-making outings for them. RR in particular I thought looked the part against Rousey - that's accelerated her presence on the show a few weeks/months ahead of schedule for me, to the point where I think she'll be bought as a more legitimate threat. If done correctly, it's still possible to put someone over in a losing scenario and for once they achieved that here. 

Similarly with Butch - every credit to Peter Thomas England the performer for putting absolutely everything into the character to try and make it work. This is a great chance now for the aura around Butch to evolve and become a more focal point of the show. 

Title unification next week should be interesting. Originally I predicted RKBro would win the titles first for the big pop and feel-good moment before dropping them to the Usos at Hell in a Cell or Money in the Bank. But with the Riddle/Roman antics at the end, you'd now think Roman would gain revenge and that will lead to the heels winning after all. Either way, unifying the titles makes sense as the respective tag divisions are too thin, at least in terms of teams that are worth any kind of emotional investment. 

• Paid Members

Randy Orton has taken a cobbled together tag team with one of the most infuriating twats on the planet and made them the most interesting thing in the company right now. I wish I had ever loved anything as much as Orton seems to be enjoying his work at the moment, he's brilliant.

• 1 month later...

So, Smackdown was broadly dull.

The Brock coming back angle was so see-through as to why it’s happening that it almost ruined it. But, I like Brock so fine. You almost can’t blame them - it’s not their fault Cody and Randy have bit the big one, and they’re not exactly flush with Summerslam level main eventers.

I quite like Pat McAfee, though he’s a bit tedious on commentary over a long period of time. That said, sticking him with Baron Corbin… ugh.

The most exciting thing all night was seeing Montez Ford is starting to put on his big boy muscles. Hope he’s on a main event promise.

First show in however long I've watched all of it. Mostly for the Vince intrigue and then because Riddle/Reigns was probably worth a watch.

Vince promo was a waste of time.

Riddle's promo was cringey. And I really enjoy his work with Randy. But this was just OTT. I'm not one for promos or matches where the crowd ends up chanting for someone that isn't even there or involved.

Can't remember much else.

Corbin and Moss. Skipped that. No thanks.

New Day were there. Some bloke danced. I just miss Big E.

I enjoy Drew and Sheamus so fine with them in MITB.

Rodriguez is someone that developed solidly in NXT but fuck has she just been reduced to an overly smiley nothing character? And I'm always disappointed with main roster Shayna. Should never have been this difficult.

Natalya is a waste of space. Always has been. She's so shit I'm not even sure Tony Sniff would sign her.

Love Street Profits. More than happy to see them get involved at the top level. Also eager for Montez to break out but they'd probably fumble that like Big E anyway.

Viking Raiders are more than capable of being a watchable team with good matches but their presentation is something they've really struggled with post-NXT. A pattern here..

Riddle/Reigns was decent for a TV main event. I love Riddle as a wrestler. Just so much energy and range. Still a little too much Randy related stuff and I'm not sure it was the break out moment Cole seemed to think it was. Riddle needs to stand out on his own.

And then the shenanigans after. There's no one left! Bloody hell. Imagine if he actually wasn't available. They'd be forced to invest in someone else. How terrible.. 

10 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

spacer.png

Game's gone, lads. 

I genuinely don’t think they had much of a choice.

They don’t have anyone to headline Summerslam.

The pickings are slim. They obviously have their part to play in that, but also the quality coming through just isn’t good enough.

People are screaming bloody murder today that Bobby Lashley got overlooked. Bobby Lashley. That’s where we are.